1 2 Previous Next 66 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 6:38 AM by jonathan75

New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

jonathan75

It is a pleasure to meet you all.  My name is Jonathan and I joined to get some assistance with my investment in building a new computer.  My goal is to use the Blackmagic URSA Mini for my source footage but I currently own a Canon Vixia HF S10 and some GoPro's.  I put a lot of thought into my parts list and revised it several times already.  But before ordering the parts I would like a second opinion on my choices. My main goal is to be able to edit smoothly with no hangups in the timeline.  Usually I can let the encoding happen when I sleep but I don't want to wake up in the morning with a error in processing. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Intel Core i7-6700K, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti, be quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

PCPartPicker part list

TypeItemPrice
      CPUIntel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor        $399.99   
      CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler        $89.88  
      MotherboardMSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION ATX LGA1151 Motherboard        $298.99   
      MemoryG.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory        $279.99  
      StorageSamsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive        $118.62   
      StorageSamsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive        $213.43  
      StorageSamsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive        $327.99    
      StorageWestern Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive        $196.99
      Video CardZotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card        $669.99    
      Casebe quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case        $129.99   
      Optical DriveLG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer        $52.88   
      OtherEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1000W        $279.99
      Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
      Total        $3058.73
        • 1. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

drop the i7-6700k and z170 platform for the x99 platform and i7-5820k.

the gtx 980 ti will be good for davinci resolve. you may want to make sure you pick a motherboard that supports 2 or 3 gpu's, to add another for resolve if you want later.

i like that you picked such a high quality psu, but the evga G2 is almost half the price and still really good. the evga P2 model is also good if wanting platinum.

not all of evga's psu's are from good oem's, so the models do matter.

asus and gigabyte have the lowest failure rates, if you care about that.

if you are purchasing the two 512gb ssd's for cache and media, its not needed. the 950 pro alone is fast enough to hold everything. if you plan on doing 4.6k raw with the ursa mini you may not have enough capacity even with the two 512gb ssd's. it will depend on how much footage you have. if you think you will end up with several tb of footage, you could raid 0 sata ssd's to get capacity and speed. samsung 850 evo or pro, 1tb and 2tb drives are available. a raid card would be preferred, but motherboard raid is an option to save money.

• 2. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
            jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you Ronin for you feedback.  Good call on the processor.  Looks like you are correct.  Here is a comparison.

PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison

The PSU I picked is made by Super Flower.  I did a lot of checking on it and it should be very good quality.  Tom's Hardware UK rated it in the Tier 1 category.  I can't find the link at the moment.

As for the motherboard I want to avoid Asus due to problems with the BIOS on my last build.  Double boots and other USB issues. I did have a Gigabyte picked out but I sorted the Newegg list by best ratings/reviews and the MSI was at the top.  But I did hear MSI does have some QC issues elsewhere.

I was going to separate the cache and media and have a 256GB and 512GB.  I just got the 850 Pro 256GB today.  I had a $50 coupon expiring on Samsung.com so I had to move fast.  So I am stuck with that for the moment but I can still buy another 512GB for the build.  I figured I can always add more storage capacity later but want to have a good foundation to work from.

I will work on a updated list and post it again.  Thanks for your assistance.

• 3. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
              jonathan75 Level 1

One thing I noticed that I don't like about switching to a X99 platform is the motherboards seem more dated and not as many features that the Z170 motherboards have.  For example I really like how the newer boards have metal reinforcement on the card slot to prevent the weight of the GPU from breaking the solder points on the back of the motherboard.

How much of a speed difference in real world use will I notice buy using the X99 i7-5820K vs the Z170 i7-6700K?

My first reply to your post is still being moderated, hopefully you will be able to see it soon.

• 4. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If clocked at the same frequency the 5820 or the 5930K will allow 25%+ more realtime capability. It really depends on your workflow if you will use it. If you use AE then you definitely want the 6 Core. The 6700K will have a hard time fully utilizing a 980Ti. Just not enough cores/threads or memory bandwidth to push the card with GPU acceleration. I would suggest atleast the 5930K, 32GB of 2666+ and X99 board with the 980Ti.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                  jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you for your input.  Currently I only use Adobe Premiere Pro but I would always like the option of using After Effects in the future.  Do you have any X99 board recommendations Eric?

Ronin, my first reply to you is still being moderated.

• 6. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

the i7-5820k has 6 cores vs 4 cores, and is about 10-20+% faster in the various benchmarks i've seen. the x99 cpu's have up to 40 pcie lanes, quad channel memory, and more memory capacity/slots on the motherboard. the x99 motherboard will also be able to upgrade to the i7-6950x 10 core cpu when its released. the z170 + i7-6700k is basically maxed, the next gen chip (kaby lake) should still be 4 cores and only 5-10% faster if trends continue. there are some motherboards that are somewhat updated new releases for x99, adding usb 3.1, and they already handle m.2 ssd's.

if you are worried about stress on the pcie slots from the graphics card, you can get a case where the motherboard lays down flat, or a case that has built in adjustable support braces for the video cards. i think coolermaster and corsair have some box cases that let the motherboard rest at the bottom. i forget which cases had video card supports, you could also make/mod your own...

• 7. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                      jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you for the additional information Ronin. My first reply to you is still under moderation.  I think it is because I put a link that showed a comparison between the CPU's.  I will use the X99 as you suggested.  Just I am back to searching for a good motherboard and memory to match it now.

• 8. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

As I said above the performance increase on the 5820 is based on clock speed. If you have both chips at the same clock speed and the ram then the realtime load capability increase will be 25%+ since cores/threads mean more for realtime than clock speed to some extent. Clock speed impacts more for rendering once you have enough cores/threads so there wont be as much performance increase for rendering but still in the 10% to 20% range Ronin described. I would definitely look at the Asus boards and the X99-E WS 3.1 board offers the best slot config with the Asus WS series advance replacement warranty. That would be my suggestion for the X99

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                          jonathan75 Level 1

The second review about the BIOS gives me pause.  I need to find out if they fixed the BIOS yet because I will use the M2 slot.

B&H Photo Video

• 11. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                            jonathan75 Level 1

Here is the updated specs and parts list. Let me know what you think.  I am still not 100% sure on the GPU choice.  Because my audio booth is in the same room and will share this computer with extension cables.  I may need to find a more quite GPU. 

The other thing I don't know is if I should use Windows 7 or Windows 10?  And if Windows 10 can I do a clean install but use my OEM Windows 7 license that I never activated?  I would prefer a clean install and I heard the upgrade is free.

Intel Core i7-5820K, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti, be quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

TypeItemPrice
                            CPUIntel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor        $374.99  
                            CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler        $89.88
                            MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory        $179.99  
                            StorageSamsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive        $119.75
                            StorageSamsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive        $213.43
                            StorageSamsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive        $327.99  
                            StorageWestern Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive        $196.99
                            Video CardZotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card        $669.99  
                            Casebe quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case        $129.99  
                            Optical DriveLG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer        $52.88  
                            OtherEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1000W        $279.99
                            OtherASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Motherboard        $529.00
                            OtherIcybox IB-867 5.25 inch USB 3.0 Multi-Card Reader        $32.70
                            Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
                            Total        $3197.57
                            Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-21 19:41 EST-0500
                            • 12. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                              Bases Loaded

From recent research on this topic I would suggest if you are going SSD drives be sure to choose the Nvme versions  Samsung or Intel.

• 13. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                jonathan75 Level 1

It looks like my Samsung 950 Pro selected is NVMe but the Samsung 850 Pro is not.  From your research did you discover how much real world difference will be noticed?

• 14. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                  Bases Loaded Level 1

If I remember correctly it seems I was told it is not so much the performance difference overall but something to do with the failure rate.

I can't give you the absolute details of why but I found this quote from an email sent to me from a system builder.

• Regarding the non Nvme SSD's > "As they’re used, the wear and tear can actually take out the edge of data blocks so that when they fail, the data loss can be extreme. The new Samsung nVME 950’s don’t suffer from this problem, nor do the Intel nVME 750’s"

Again, this is what I was told but can't vouch for it 100% based on any personal experience.

I am currently in sort of the same situation, trying to put together a new system capable of some 4k editing along with my Sony Ex1r footage.

From what I understand having hard drives (non-OS) which will pass beyond the Sata-3x speed limitation is a must do for editing 4k footage of any sort and the PCIE or m.2 ssd's are one way of doing it, but expensive.   Am currently looking into other options like Thunderbolt-2 external solutions, a lot of information to sort through and make the right decision..  Also open to any suggestions from other users out there.    This is also an interesting other option, but again expensive. http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04798669.pdf

• 15. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have not seen much difference in PPBM scores if you use the right SSD's in the right places. It is not whether it is has the NVME protocol, the important difference is the interface.is SATA or it is PCIe Gen 3 x4.  This is the difference between ~500 MB/second or ~1500 to 2000 MB/second.  My Premiere X99 system has an old 840 Pro for the Boot/OS/Applications SATA III SSD and in the M.2 connector I have the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB for all the Project, Preview, Media files.  There will be hard drives for archiving and backup. 

• 16. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                      Bases Loaded Level 1

Thanks Bill:  But my post was about the Nvme serise SSD's are reported to have a much lower failure rate, not that they actually preform faster.

• 17. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

Only time will tell.but I have a bunch of old Samsung 840 Pro's that have been exercised immensely with writing and deleting and no signs of failures yet.

• 18. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                          jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you for sharing what you have learned.  Do you have your parts list or can you make one on PCPartPicker?

• 19. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                            jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you Bill.  I will put my OS on the 850.  I was going to put it on the 950 before.  Are you using Windows 10?  I was not sure if I should use it or not.

• 20. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                              jonathan75 Level 1

Any more feedback or suggestions?  I will start ordering parts very soon.  Also I am looking for a 4K monitor recommendation if anyone has some recommendations.

• 21. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

there are lots of monitor options... if its just for your program (premiere program) monitor, then you may want to pick a resolution based on the size of the monitor. if you want a second monitor for full screen playback, then you also need to decide if you are doing color correction. how accurate you want that to be will limit your monitor selection and can increase prices alot. if you plan on doing color correction with davinci resolve, you will need a blackmagic card to feed the playback monitor. for davinci resolve, you may also want a monitor that can calibrate itself without needing windows software. you may want to find some monitor review websites or search for color grading monitor blogs to help decide. here is one i found that seems good, they also have some good reading in their forums. https://pcmonitors.info/

• 22. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                  jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you for that link.  It will be very helpful.  I am reading the reviews now.

• 23. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                    Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The 5820K must be selected with caution because it only has 28 PCI lanes - if you only ever intend to put one PCIx16 graphics card in your system then it's OK, but it doesn't even have enough lanes to run two x16 cards, never mind the add-ons like M2 storage, Thunderbolt and RAID cards that most editors find creeping onto their shopping lists (especially if you're trying to scrub a 4K timeline!). Intel chose to drop lanes rather than cores because the headline specs on most vendor websites don't mention the lane count, so the 5820K looks better than it really is when pre-bundled into a *cough* "pro gaming" system. The 5820K was designed for home computers with one GPU and a disc or two hanging off the X99 SATA interface, not a professional workstation with SLI and RAIDs up the wazoo. Unlike clock speed, you can't fix the lane count by tweaking the bios, so if you want to run multiple GPUs in future it becomes a cute little green and gold paperweight. For the price difference over a 5930K it's not worth being fenced in - the X99-E mainboard can run 16x&16x cards, though you can't fill every PCIe slot like you can on the X99-Deluxe.

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/94-haswell-e has a bunch of info on the chips and DDR4, though since Haswell-Es can't run anything other than DDR4 there's no point fretting over the CAS timings.

Re: RoninEdit's comments about external monitors and Resolve - it's a tad more of an experience than shoving a Decklink Mini into your system and plugging it into a "PC monitor". Decklinks expect to be talking to a pre-calibrated Rec709 production monitor (via HDMI or SDI), and if you're distributing at 4K rather than downscaling 4K source to HD timelines then you would be sitting at a 4K screen. To be blunt a 4K SDI production monitor will set you back at least $10k. If you want scopes, double it. Yes you could plug a Decklink into a standard TV, but it'll be impossible to get accurate colors. Resolve won't send full-screen video to any PC graphics cards, never has, never will; unlike Adobe BMC think color management should be a hardware problem so the Resolve UI doesn't even support ICC profiles. The Decklink gets you a chance to see your footage but it's only a monitoring device - for most of the time the GPU is just driving the user interface but Resolve uses GPUs for computing, so stuffing in something beefy is essential even if it has nothing plugged in the back.

• 24. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

the i7-5820k was recommended to get into a better platform over the OP's original setup of the i7-6700k, at a similar price point. as to your comment on pcie lanes, the i7-5820k can run 3 gpu's on a 3-way motherboard. the i7-5820k on the asus WS mbd (which is what the OP is getting) with its plx chip can even run 4 gpu's with left over pcie lanes. current video cards do not fully saturate the pcie x16 gen 3 lanes, so they are fine at 8x. the little bit of performance lost is less than the overhead of running multiple gpu's. if the OP decides later he needs a 40 lane cpu, he can upgrade to broadwell-e.

to the monitors, it all depends on what the OP needs. i tried to give a few simple/starter options, as he never said anything about using resolve or color correction. the blackmagic cards can be expensive for some of them, but there are a few more affordable ones for hd and 4k that use hdmi and therefore do not require expensive sdi monitors. using a third monitor with software scopes from resolve is another option for non critical work, to avoid costs on hardware scopes. resolve can use adjustment luts if one so desires, to calibrate the playback monitor inside resolve. i don't care for that feature, so i recommended the hardware/self calibrating monitor. if you want to recommend some monitors to him at various prices and functions, go on ahead.

• 25. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                        jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you for bringing the PCI lanes to my attention.  I did not consider that before.  I probably won't be using SLI but will have one M2.  So I will probably stick to the 5820K.  For now I mostly do YouTube videos and plan to record in 4K once I get my URSA Mini.  One good quality 4K monitor is all I really need for now because I am doing YouTube tutorials and reviews.  If I was doing more epic productions like DevinSuperTramp I would need to improve my equipment some.

Because I need to keep noise down for my audio booth in the same room I am changing my GPU to the MSI GeForce GTX 980 TI Gaming 6G Golden Edition. Before I was going to use the Zotac 980 TI.

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SL…

• 26. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                          jonathan75 Level 1

Ronin, thank you for your feedback and counter points.

I still need some input on Windows 10.  If my focus is video editing should I stick to Windows 7 or try Windows 10?

Also can a moderator tell me how long I need to be moderated for?  All my posts must be approved first still.

• 28. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                            JFPhoton Level 3

......couple of things.

If the 4TB drive is going to serve as your important archive drive, where irreplaceble video footage and project files will be safely stored, you may want to consider an "enterprise level" HDD, which would be less likely to fail than a consumer version.....or, get ANOTHER matching WD drive and do a RAID 1 mirror for data security.

Instead of spending money on the 512 GB samsung 850 Pro SSD, maybe consider getting ANOTHER 950 Pro to double the capacity and double the speed if the 2 are placed in a RAID 0, like Bill Gehrke has done. Of course, THEN you would want the 5930K, in order to provide the extra PCI lanes.

If spending over $3,000 ANYWAY.....why not "shoot the works" and go just a little farther for top performance !.......jus sayin...

• 29. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                              Bases Loaded Level 1

I still would strongly suggest you go with the 5930k as you will be sorry down the road if you need extra PCI lanes for added on cards other than graphics.

From what I understand you will run into problems with the setup you have doing 4k work as you hard drives will be where the bottle neck is.

You may need extra add on cards or devices which require more PCI lanes to get you past the SATA speed limit restrictions. 

Like perhaps add a PCIe SSD drive for 4k video editing which is many times faster than the drives you have selected, except for the M.2.

Or a raid card / Or a thunderbolt-2 add on card card for super fast external HD access.

All of which will make you wish you had the extra lanes of the 5930k, be less expensive to get it now rather than have to change the processor later ?

• 30. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                                Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

JFPhoton wrote:

If the 4TB drive is going to serve as your important archive drive, where irreplaceble video footage and project files will be safely stored, you may want to consider an "enterprise level" HDD, which would be less likely to fail than a consumer version.....or, get ANOTHER matching WD drive and do a RAID 1 mirror for data security.

There's no reason to RAID an archive disk since you don't care about access speed. Irreplaceable footage must be backed up offline (ideally on a drive you can store in another building - cloud backup is not an option for terabytes of data at consumer level but it's easy to swap drives with a friend or colleague living nearby, so you hold backups for one another. If you're paranoid use TrueCrypt). A RAID system will only protect against physical drive failure, which these days is not as common as it used to be. File corruption and deletion caused by software bugs or user error are more likely to wipe out your stuff, and RAID will just mirror the corruption; it doesn't care whether the bits on disk make sense or not. Even ransomware has to be considered these days as a significant threat if your systems are connected to the Web. You should see RAID arrays are purely a speed thing, rather than a safety net.

We keep long-term archives containing all the original footage on 3TB drives in another building (the drives are nothing special since they are only written to once, they just plug into a SATA desk caddy when we're making the initial card dumps). Active projects are mirrored to a second computer every hour (Using FreeFileSync batch jobs), and copied to cloud storage via a scheduled job in WinSCP. The mirror gives an exact duplicate which is simple to revert to - if the editing machine is eaten by wolves we can carry on working using the other computer (it's old but it'll render stuff if we feed it cookies). Mirroring is vulnerable to corruption just like RAID, but the copies are incremental and don't include the original footage, dailies, etc. so we have the entire history of a job in a few hundred MB, including things we deleted in a moment of madness. Dailies and intermediates can always be rebuilt from the footage and project files, so worst case scenario you can buy a new computer, install Creative Cloud, grab your archives and be up and running in the smoking ruins of your apartment within a day.

• 31. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

win7 vs win10, i haven't run win10 to report first hand... i don't believe there is any benefit besides new features like dx12 and longer support for updates from microsoft. yes win10 has lots more spyware tracking, compliments of microsoft and its advertisment partners, but there are programs like spybot anti-beacon to disable those background services for both win7 and win10. there are also several online guides for disabling non essential services and scheduled tasks, so that there is even less of windows to interfere (add latency) with software, especially realtime work like video or audio capture.

jfphotons point for enterprise level hdd is good. any important data should have 2 or 3 copies. cloud/internet backup/storage services are a good option for one of those copies. i wouldn't count mirror of 2 drives as 2 copies, as there is a chance the mirror could take corrupt data from one drive and write it to the other, corrupting both copies. so if you want to mirror, you may still need 2 other separate and isolated copies of that data.

if you want to take bases loaded's advice, you can cut back on the psu and save $100, to put that into the 5930k. however, he must be overlooking your motherboard, or has something against plx chips. pcie lanes on the cpu are only half of the solution, how the motherboard is configured to use them is just as important (something many do not talk about here). if you are still worried about it, but think you will upgrade to a faster broadwell-e when released or when you add in more devices later, then save the money for the broadwell-e upgrade.

• 32. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                                    jonathan75 Level 1

I use online backup.  I know a lot of people cringe but it has worked good for me. I only delete my video footage from my cards after I confirm it uploaded.

The motherboard selected I believe only has one M2 slot.  Is there a add on card or something I can use to support another M2?

• 33. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                                      jonathan75 Level 1

I will use the processor you suggested.  It is not that much more anyway.  I only upgrade once every 5 years so I need to build it to last.

• 34. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                                        jonathan75 Level 1

Currently I have almost 2 TB backed up online.  How do I quote people so it is less confusing?

• 35. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                                          jonathan75 Level 1

Thank you for the Windows 10 feedback.

Do you have any enterprise level HD recommendations?

Is there any pricing information on the broadwell-e yet?

• 36. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

hgst drives get good reviews and ranked pretty low in failure rates for at least one report i saw.

broadwell-e is still a ways out and i haven't seen any set prices. i think intel has kept the top offering around $1k in the past. so they might continue with that for the 10 core broadwell-e, which should push down the 8 core broadwell-e price too. if they keep the prices higher to match comparable haswell-e cpu's, then the 10-core broadwell-e might be a good bit over $1k.

• 37. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

I know of three M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 cards that I have tested and work well.

ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 (not easily available)

Lycom DT-120

Addonix ADM2PX4

The last two are identical circuit boards

• 38. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review
                                                                                jonathan75 Level 1

It has been almost a year since I started my dream machine project.  I finally have the funds to start the build but had to update the case and a few minor things that was not available anymore.  As for the Video Card and Processor has there been any changes in technology that I should be aware of to change my parts choices? Here is my latest parts list. I appreciate everyone's help.

Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB, DARK BASE 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

• 39. Re: New 4K Video Editing System Selected Parts Review

Do not get a GTX 980 Ti.  And also the 980Ti would be overkill for the i7-5820K.  The new GTX 10xx series are superior to the 9xx series.  I might suggest the GTX 1060 SC from EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR for only $250 and invest more money in the CPU

1 2 Previous Next