7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 8:20 AM by nigeld57983073

Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?

nigeld57983073 Level 1

I'm getting recommendations and quotes for a new Premiere Pro PC system. I also intend to get a Sony FS5 and edit mostly in 1080 footage from it on the new ststem. However occasionally, for now, I'll edit in 4K.

What do folks think of these recommendations? Is there anything you would change or upgrade for approx. £500 more? Incidentally I intend to install 3 of my own SSD's into it upon arrival.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower Case

Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Cored 3.50GHz Processor – Overclocked up to 4.4GHz

Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus X99-A Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard

64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz Memory

Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Graphics Card

256GB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive

Corsair RM 750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return (UK only)

2 Port FireWire 800 + 1 Port FireWire 400 PCI Express Card

3x Icy Dock MB971SP-B 5.25 inch Hot Swap Drive Caddy (2.5” + 3.5”)

Total inc VAT, delivered: £3032.56

• 1. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Moving to the hardware forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
            cc_merchant Level 4

Change the Corsair Hydro 100 for a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. The Corsair is very mediocre in performance and very loud.

Get a more powerful PSU, like the Corsair AX-1000W.

Unless you plan to overclock to around 4.5GHz, the 980Ti is overkill.

• 3. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You definitely want a PSU bigger than 750W for that system. 850W would be minimum and CC is correct with the 1000W. The 980Ti can be overkill and then again it may not be. Its workflow specific and what applications used. If you use any media that has debayering elements it's definitely not overkill. If you just use 1080 media then it will be if you just use Adobe Applications. Davinci would make use of it either way regardless. So there are some variables there. The 5960X with 64GB of 2666+ can definitely push that card if the media and application will use it. I would suggest going with the 980Ti for future proof workflow changes if nothing else.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
                nigeld57983073 Level 1

Thanks guys, I've now asked them to quote on a 1000W PSU and the NH-D15 cooler. I appreciate the input.

• 5. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
                  nigeld57983073 Level 1

I've just had this system delivered but the supplier swapped the case for a Fractal Design Define XL Low Noise Case and the cooler for a Be-Quiet Dark Rock 2 Silent CPU cooler. They said this would make it quieter for the same price, so I was fine with that. What I didn't notice until I recieved the invoice was the overclocked CPU speed had been dropped to 4.3Ghz instead of the originally quoted 4.4Ghz.

Ok, I'm guessing the loss of 0.1Ghz isn't the end of the world particularly if it will be a bit quiter. But now that this PC has been delivered in the BIOS settings under Ai Tweaker it is showing the target CPU turbo-mode frequency as 4000Mhz. I have also installed CPU-Z and stress-loaded the CPU and the maximum it achieves is 4Ghz.

So is this PC ever likely to come close to 4.3Ghz in the real world? Secondly would that extra 0.3Ghz make a tangible difference when editing with Premiere Pro?

I need to decide how to engage the supplier over this, but don't want to go through all the hassle if it doesn't really make much difference in reality.

• 6. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
                    cc_merchant Level 4

They can lead you through the steps to overclock to 4.4 GHz by phone if you want. It looks like they forgot that step. It sure is not difficult, but the very first time it can be comforting to have a more experienced person hold your hand.

• 7. Re: Is this a good spec/quote for a 4K Premiere optimised system?
                      nigeld57983073 Level 1

Thanks for that advice. I think the problem is more that the suppliers tell me the Be-Quiet Dark Rock 2 Silent CPU cooler is not sufficient to cope with the heat generated by over-clocking to 4.4Ghz. They would have to have the PC back and fit the Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, originally quoted to cope with the additional heat.

So I need to decide whether to send the PC back to them and have the Corsair cooler fitted to gain the extra 0.4Ghz overclocking advantage or stick with the quieter Be-Quiet cooler, but forfeit the extra performance. But I do wonder if that extra performance is an illusion that will not be seen in everyday editing? In which case I would rather have the quieter machine.

To give some background info I tend to keep my edit machines for about 3 years. Also I recently purchased a Sony PXW-FS5 and intend to shot interviews in 4K (cropping in for a second shot). Everything else will be shot in 1080 50p 4:2:2 50mbps (XAVC HD). Note that the FS5's 4K codec (XAVC-L, 8 bit, 100mbps) can be quite demanding on CPU's.