3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 12:49 PM by Willi Adelberger

Outlining Bullets and Numbers

renaep84719849

Can you outline bullets and numbers in InDesign?  The printer is asking me to do this.  I have already outline the text in the file.

• 1. Re: Outlining Bullets and Numbers
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best way is to find a printer that will accept a press quality pdf without outlining the fonts.

That being said, If you are stuck with this printer, then there is way to do this without destroying all the text effects (such as bullets, underlines and text box colors)

follow the directions in this post

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way-updated.php

• 2. Re: Outlining Bullets and Numbers
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Bullets and numbering applied as part of a list (rather than typed in) cannot be outlined, and if you outline the text to which they are applied they will disappear.

While in general I don't approve of outlining text, I recognize you may not be able to find a printer who is capable of printing form a PDF with embedded fonts, so take a look at Possible bug: oulining text w/ flattener in CS5 which discusses an old technique for outlining during export of files that contain transparency (and why it doesn't work the same way in newer versions) for how to do it non-destructively.

If you must outline the text in the "traditional" way, and you want to outline bulleted or numbered lists, you must selecrt those paragraphs, then choose convert  bullets/numbers to text from the context menu before creating the outlines.

• 3. Re: Outlining Bullets and Numbers
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Text must not be outlined in InDesign. If a printer requires it, take another. Many problems occur.

If you can't fire your printer, open the PDF in Acrobat Pro > Print Production > Preflight > PDF fixups > Convert Text to outlines

Don't use the transparency flattening method as you loose any transparency. The Acrobat method is better as it does neither convert colors nor reduces transparency.