4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 7:18 PM by sevenpineshomestead

import to Lightroom 6 catalog from Mac hard drive 96,000 photos

sevenpineshomestead Level 1

Hello.  I am new to Lightroom, and I wanted to selectively upload from my Macbook harddrive, but before I could specify where I wanted it to look, Lightroom began the tedious process of just loading from user, and after a long interval, came up with 110,000 photos.  Some were duplicated and some were components of programs....like pictures, settings, graphics etc.   So, I've CMD SHIFTed a large bunch I KNOW I don't want to be in the LR library.... (most of which are small image graphics like I said above) and I've unchecked them, but how do I make them go away? 

I want to move on to the other ones, but it's very slow, and I feel like I should eliminate "chunks" of photos in order to get to the ones I do want to import.  This was not how I remember the video I watched on importing being.  I've probably done something wrong!   :

Does anyone have any advice for a brand-newbie on how to not clutter up their Lightroom 6 catalog?    It was my intention to pull small groups from the desktop files I'd organized for hours before I selected import.  I made year folders, and system folders, my Design elements folder, and Favorites folder so that I could tag and color code them on their way in. 

This is not how I'd pictured this moment in my Lightroom-hobby being!   LOL!    Thanks to all who read all this!

Tracy

• 1. Re: import to Lightroom 6 catalog from Mac hard drive 96,000 photos
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Tracy,

You can select bunch of pictures in your catalog and press delete key > choose remove to remove them from the catalog.

If you want to start fresh and import folder by folder as you wanted to then, you can either select all and remove them all or create a new blank catalog and then, start the import process.

If you are willing to create a new catalog, go to File menu > Create Catalog > give it a name > choose the location where you want to save it.

This would open a blank catalog and then, you can start your import process.

Refer this tutorial : How to transfer photos from a hard drive folder to Photoshop Lightroom

Later on, you can get rid of the older catalog.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: import to Lightroom 6 catalog from Mac hard drive 96,000 photos
            Hal P Anderson Level 6

Tracy,

Once you pick a source folder for your import, Lightroom adds a checkbox that lets you specify whether or not to "Include Subfolders" .If you remove the checkmark, you'll probably find that you have a lot less trouble.

Calculator_2016-01-21_19-23-04.jpg

Hal

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: import to Lightroom 6 catalog from Mac hard drive 96,000 photos

Thank you Chetna.  I read the link you told me about.  I also watched some youtube tutorials by Ben Willmore.  He has a wonderful teaching persona, and is thorough, and takes into account the vast amount of variance in methods in Lightroom.  He gives you an overview of each way, and then lets you decide.  I've decided to import all my photos on computer to LR Catalog, using ADD function and leaving them on my desktop for now, and selecting minimal previews (since I never need full size and can always click on the thumbnail and wait while it loads.)   I understand that I can then use Folders to create directories and organize my pictures inside lightroom, and by doing it this way, it leaves the same organized photo folders on the hard drive, at which time, I'll delete the ones I have all messy in crude folder form on my desktop to have less copies.  I'm thinking the reason I had that many pictures in the first place is it's pulling from photos (mac lame photo software that they changed from iphoto last year) and maybe iphoto too, and then of course, my desktop copies.  I was thinking I had around 36,000 or so; not three times that!  YIKES!   Thank you for your help!

• 4. Re: import to Lightroom 6 catalog from Mac hard drive 96,000 photos

Thank you Hal!  I am going to try it with them, and then quickly disengage the subfolder option if it gets too confusing.