5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 8:05 AM by pontusw25142227

Key commands not working

justine.dechaine

Key commands not working in Illustrator, InDesign or Photoshop.

So far, I've noticed:

• Holding shift does not constrain proportions of frame
      • Holding cmd does not resize contents of frame; only frame itself
      • Space bar does not activate hand tool
      • Cmd + space does not activate zoom
      • Holding shift with the line tool does not draw a straight line
      • Holding shift while moving an object doesn't keep that object at the same horizontal / vertical spot
      • Holding option doesn't copy an object
      • Holding option doesn't copy a page in the Pages palette.

Plus additional key commands that aren't working in Photoshop and Illustrator. I think the problems are related, but the @adobecares Twitter rep told me to post in all three forums.

• 1. Re: Key commands not working
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keystrokes that don't work are usually because of conflicting software which is "stealing" the keystrokes. Common problems include browser plug-ins. To test this, restart your computer, and load InDesign before anything else. If possible, shut down startup applications.

If that doesn't work, try launching InDesign from another user on your computer.

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

• 2. Re: Key commands not working
            justine.dechaine Level 1

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have mentioned that. I gave all the information to the Twitter rep, but I forgot to post it here. It's a problem with Creative Cloud since I updated to OS X Yosemite. It's not a problem with conflicting programs using those keystrokes. I've used CC for about a year now on this same computer with the same programs running—the only change is the Yosemite update.

• 3. Re: Key commands not working
              ohmnath Adobe Employee

Hi Justine,

I need to confirm few details to understand the cause of the issue. Please share if you are using any Anti-Virus like "Webroot". If not, please enable the "root account" in your Mac (See link : Enabling and using the "root" user in OS X - Apple Support ) and check if the keyboard commands work in root account or not. Do share the result.

Thanks,

Om

• 4. Re: Key commands not working
                justine.dechaine Level 1

Installed new update for CC. Problem seems to be solved.

• 5. Re: Key commands not working
                  pontusw25142227

Why is Adobe asking it's users to troubleshoot their own software? The keyboard shortcut for Duplicate DOES NOT WORK  in the latest version of inDesign. I have searched for over a year to find an official fix from Adobe, but there isn't one!!

How does Adobe defend it's policy of "Gee, that's weird, try hitting it with a hammer."?

You force us onto the cloud, change tool functionality between versions, change the appearance of our pasteboards, and take away time-saving functionality, among a few gripes...

Adobe, FIX THE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT FOR DUPLICATE!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!