7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 4:54 AM by dj_paige

I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...

PhotoMoe Level 1

The Collection hierarchy is as follows (for example; VPS is the acronym for a photography club that holds monthly competitions with themes):

VPS [root level collection set]

VPS Themes 2015-2016 [one of several year-based collection sets]

1-September - Flowers [Smart Collections by monthly theme]

2-October - Weather

7-April [final Smart Collection]

I'm using "VPS Themes 2015-2016" as the Source Collection and attempting to group images by the awards I've received (Award Keywords = 1st-Month, 2nd-Month, 3rd-Month, HM-Month). I want only images from the VPS Themes 2015-2016 Collection Set (within the "VPS" Collection Set), and then every image with any of the award Keywords from above). That is, any image in the VPS Themes 2015-2016 Collection Set that has an award Keyword should appear in the "Awards" Collection. I've tried every combination of choices for "Contains", "Contains With", etc. and it doesn't appear possible to select images from Smart Collections within a Collection Set that's within another Collection Set. What I haven't tried is including the two upstream Collection Set names in the search parameter box. So, some questions:

1. Can Lightroom's Smart Collections feature actually use nested Smart Collections within two Collection Sets?

2. If so, must I--and how do I--include the upstream Collection Set names in the search field? (I've tried "/", ">", and "|" as separators--"VPS>VPS Themes 2015-2016" for example--and each fails)

3. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance; appreciated.

• 1. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

LR's smart collections don't provide any means for directly limiting a search to a particular collection set.  Here are some other ways to accomplish what you want:

1. Define your smart collections to search all the other desired criteria (e.g. the award keywords). To apply the smart collection to a collection set, first, in the Collections panel on the left, click on the smart collection.  Then select all of the displayed photos. Next, click on the collection set in the Collections panel. The selected photos displayed will be exactly those in the collection set that meet the criteria of the smart collection.  You can then add them to the Quick Collection by typing "b".

2. Use the Any Filter plugin, which does provide the capability of limiting a search to a particular collection set.

3. Use keywords rather than collections.  LR provides more features and flexibility for searching by keyword.

• 2. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...
            dj_paige Level 9

3. Use keywords rather than collections.  LR provides more features and flexibility for searching by keyword.

I think this is the best solution

• 3. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...
              PhotoMoe Level 1

John - Thanks. I'm already using Keywords as well as the "Source" parameter already available in Smart Collections, where the Source is the current year competition themes (e.g., the "VPS Themes 2015-2016" Collection Set). That's the part that seems to fail. I have to be able to limit the search to that Collection Set, as the photo club has multiple themes for every month and across club competition years. I've created a Smart Collection that does search for all of the awards and that Smart Collection works, although it crosses competition years. Either I don't understand your suggestion/approach in #1 or it doesn't work, as following that process puts all of the photos, including those from other competition years, into the Quick Collection. It may well be that LR can't do what I want to do...yet. Thanks for your assistance. I'll check out the plug-in. Re: #3, I use Smart Collections to assemble photos that meet the competition themes for each year and they occasionally have multiple criteria (e.g., "Neglect" and "Decay" from this past month) and using simple filters all of the time to locate photos, especially as I add them during the year, would just be a pain in the neck. Keywords are essential for all of this to work! Thanks.

• 4. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...
                PhotoMoe Level 1

DJ - Thanks, but I don't understand your answer. All of my photos have keywords and I use them to sort my photos by competition theme. That's the easy part. The hard part is the subsequent filtering to let LR do the hard work of filtering through 1K to 2K worth of photos for just those photos that won awards during a given competition year. LR can't seem to do it. Thanks for trying; appreciated.

• 5. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...

If every place you currently use a collection you instead use a keyword, then you'll get the full ability to do the kind of searches you want.  E.g. create a keyword hierarchy:

VPS

VPS Themes 2015-2016

• 6. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...
                    Either I don't understand your suggestion/approach in #1 or it doesn't work, as following that process puts all of the photos, including those from other competition years, into the Quick Collection.

Let's go step-by-step to see what's not working for you:

1. In the Collections panel on the left, click on the smart collection.   This should show all the matching photos for all the competition years and no other photos.

2. Select all of the displayed photos by doing Edit > Select All.

3. In the Collections panel, click on one of the competition-years collection sets.  At this point, the photos that are selected will be just the ones in the competition-year collection set that match the smart collection.

4. Typing "b" will add those selected photos, the ones matching the smart collection in the selected competition year, to the Quick Collection.

• 7. Re: I'm trying to create a Smart Collection using keywords and a nested Collection Set as the Source...
                      dj_paige Level 9

The hard part is the subsequent filtering to let LR do the hard work of filtering through 1K to 2K worth of photos for just those photos that won awards during a given competition year. LR can't seem to do it.

Do you have a keyword for photos that won awards? If not, then create one. Then LR does what you want.