4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 2:31 AM by Uli Grimm

Webcam recommendations?

molinus56 Level 1

I am sooooo excited about this software.  I have an older Mac Pro running Yosemite, but no webcam.

Any recommendations for a webcam that works well with Character Animator?

Here is a link to one I have my eye on: HD Webcam C615 Fold-and-go

• 1. Re: Webcam recommendations?
          MeredithY Adobe Employee

Hello,

I asked the team for some suggestions and heard back with two recommendations:

HP HD4310 and Logitech c920

Another user of the Logitech pointed out that while it does work on both Mac & Win,
          it's not a good audio device, so it's best for users with a proper USB headset or
          soundcard.

If I hear back with more recommendations I'll be sure to post the list on the forum.

Best,

Meredith, for the Ch Team

• 2. Re: Webcam recommendations?
            Uli Grimm Level 1

Hi everybody

I would like to raise the question again.

I am also interested in any webcam recommendations for character animator (mac pro, 10.10.5).

Logitech seems to be very week on audio and comparing the c920 and the c930e I would be interested in the "angle-questioin".

Is a wider or a more narrow angle better for CA ?

What would be the "ultimate" webcam?

Thanks.

Regards,

Uli

• 3. Re: Webcam recommendations?
              oksamurai Employee Moderator

For all the tutorial videos and cartoons I've done, I've simply used the built in Macbook Pro webcam and a separate CAD u37 USB mic. That has worked great for me.

I haven't tried different angles/lenses, but as long as it's not a super low end crappy webcam, you should be in good shape. It's more about how big and well lit your face is - you can press ~ when your Cam & Mic window is selected to see how the tracking dots look on your face. I find with poor lighting - or if I'm wearing a hat - the results are poorer, particularly picking up the eyebrows and eyes. For the livestreams I usually shine a light at my face.

Hope that helps!

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 8.35.25 AM.png

• 4. Re: Webcam recommendations?
                Uli Grimm Level 1

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

This morning I bought a Logitech C920 and it seems to work. (I am glad I bought the one with the narrower angle because it is still very wide...)

There is still a bit latency between camera and character but this is something that can be handled by training.

(Latency not appearing in Quicktime Player "Rec Movie")

On the other side I think the position of the camera and light is very important as you wrote.

I also think of giving myself some make-up for the eyebrows because they are not recognized well.

In all I have the impression it is already more than a nice toy but still there is some work to be done on the software-side to make it more "accurate" and faster (more pro).

I will play around with it now...

Regards,

Uli