10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 11:30 PM by shanskan6443

Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem

shanskan6443

I am using the latest version of LR 5 and I can't seem to get it to stack images.  In the Preferences dialogue box under External Editing I have the "Stack With Original" checked but after editing an image in Photoshop CC the newly created TIFF image isn't stacked with the original RAW file when it comes into LR.  It comes up separately in the film strip.

Additionally, I can't seem to manually stack images either.  After selecting the images I want to stack in the Grid view of the Library Mode when I click on Photo (at the top) then Stacking none of the options are available (black) for selection.  The options are all grayed out. 

Thanks in advance for you help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
          Hal P Anderson Level 6

You are probably in a Smart Collection. You cannot stack images in one of those.

Hal

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
            shanskan6443 Level 1

Thanks, yes I was trying to stack the images from with with-in a smart collection.  When I got out of that I was able to stack the two images successfully. So that solved half of my problem.

Do you know why the images won't stack from coming back in from Photoshop?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
              Hal P Anderson Level 6

It works for me under Win 10. Were you invoking PS from a Smart Collection?

Hal

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                shanskan6443 Level 1

I had been doing that, yes, but after getting your first answer about how you can't stack from with in a smart collection I tried to edit an image in PS not from with in a smart collection and the newly created TIFF image still did not stack when it came back in to LR.  I am running Windows 7 if that helps. 

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                  Hal P Anderson Level 6

Two things to try, then:

1. Make doubly sure that the box is ticked in Preferences.

2. If it is, then try resetting your preferences. Instructions are here

Hal

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                    shanskan6443 Level 1

I have followed the directions to reset my preferences and after all doing so LR 5 still isn't stacking the images on a round trip into PS even though the box is checked.  (sigh)

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                      Hal P Anderson Level 6

Hmmm...I'm running out of things to try.

When you go to Photoshop, is the image in a dumb collection or a folder?

Try to stack a couple of random photos in whatever collection or folder you're in when you invoke PS. Does that work, yet the result from PS does not?

What sort order do you have set in that collection or folder?

Hal

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                        shanskan6443 Level 1

Yes, I'm in a folder (not a smart collection). I am able to stack several photos together from within that folder with no problem.  But when I edit one of those images within that same folder in Photoshop on the return the TIFF isn't stacking even though the box is checked to do so.

From within that folder the capture time and asending order are checked for the sort.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                          Hal P Anderson Level 6

OK. Are you sending a raw to PS?

When you send a raw, PS uses its own copy of Camera Raw and applies all the LR edits. Then you edit in PS and save. The saved file is a TIFF or PSD, and it comes back to LR, and LR adds it to the Catalogue and stacks it. Or is supposed to.

If you send a raw file to a secondary editor (PS is the primary), LR creates a TIFF copy of the file, stacks it, and then passes that to the editor. When that editor saves and exits, LR already has the image in its catalogue, stacked. The only real difference is when the TIFF gets created.

So let's try an experiment. Add Photoshop as an additional external editor. In the preferences dialogue hit the Choose button and navigate to Photoshop.exe and choose it. LR will complain but give you the option to do it anyway.. Then click on the Preset dropdown (it'll say custom), and click "Save Current Settings as New Preset". A little dialogue box will come up asking for a name. Call it Photoshop II or something that stands out.

Now try editing with that editor, and let me know what happens.

Hal

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5 Stacking Problem
                            shanskan6443 Level 1

I was able to Add Photoshop as an additional external editor following the directions you gave me.  Unfortunately, when I edited my image choosing that "new" Photoshop.exe preset the newly created TIFF came back into LR unstacked.  (sigh)