7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 5:23 AM by A.T. Romano

Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD

rob@velds.nl Level 1

4K editing

I am not so very content with the quality of my transcoded videos from Premiere 14.

Let me ask you the following.

When I export my timeline to a mp4 (quality slider to high) the program tells me it will be 17,5 Gb.for a 12 minutes film.

After the job however it is a file of 335 mb. Is such a compression normal with Premiere 14?

My full HD films were much bigger in size. (at least 1.5 Gb for 12 minutes)

Could this be the source of my dissatisfaction?

Rob Velds

Netherlands

• 1. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob Velds

If the Export & Share/Devices/Computer/ 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 is set up for a bitrate of 200 Mbps (megabits per second) and the duration of the Timeline content is 12 minutes, then the calculations tell you the estimated file size of the export should be about 18 GB. We agree on that.

Where are you getting your reading of 335 MB for the file after the export?

If you are still using Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 10 64 bit, please determine if your result is impacted by whether or not the Hardware Acceleration prerference is disabled in preferences (Edit Menu/Preferences/General)

I will do a run through of what you have described and report with the results within the next 2 hours or sooner. I have done some tests like these when I did my Premiere Elements 14 First Look and no inconsistencies were between estimated bitrate and actual bitrate of the 4K 3840 x 2160 export.

To be continued

ATR

• 2. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
            rob@velds.nl Level 1

OMG

Checking the hardware preferences I saw a checkbox coveptquality high speed or high quality low speed.

I changed from concept to high quality and started the process again.

It's that easy to make mistakes. (If that was the reason)

Rob

• 3. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob

Thanks for the follow up. I have about 1 hour 30 minutes more to go on my 4K 3840 x 2160 export (12 minutes at 200 Mbps).

From what you wrote, I think you went to the Timeline Rendering Quality in Edit Menu/Preferences/General. That has the choices of

High quality/Slow speed (this applied only to HD project)

or

Draft quality/High speed

That is not it.

If you have Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit, then in the list of preferences you should see one that reads

"Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer". That typically comes enabled. It can cause export problems if enabled when you do not have an Intel HD Graphics and newer card.

To be continued....

ATR

• 4. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
                rob@velds.nl Level 1

I'll check the hardware accelleration tomorrow.

For this day I stop (it's almost Saturday here).

Thanks so far

Rob

• 5. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob

I could not confirm your Premiere Elements 14/14.1 4K export results. Bottom line: estimated file size = 17.3 GB and, for actual export, file size = 18.7 GB, not some MB amount.

Details

As I wrote

If the Export & Share/Devices/Computer/ 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 is set up for a bitrate of 200 Mbps (megabits per second) and the duration of the Timeline content is 12 minutes, then the calculations tell you the estimated file size of the export should be about 18 GB. We agree on that.

In Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, I added enough Panasonic GH4 4K video clips (3840 x 2160) to give 12 minutes 9 seconds Timeline content.

Then, Export & Share/Devices/Computer and 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 with Quality slider at High (200 Mbps). Duration 12 minutes 9.9 seconds. Estimate File Size = 17.30 Mbps.

The file size of the actual export was 18.7 GB according to Windows and MediaInfo.

It was interesting to follow the export in the designated save location (Documents). During exporting the export existed as two file, one with .aac file extension, the other with the .mp4 file extension.

When export was complete, there was only one file, .mp4.

At this point, I would suggest that you consider

a. another test run

and

b. look at the Hardware Acceleration preference with and without a check mark next to it in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Please consider and then we can decide hat next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I did a shorter run just now on Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows 10 64 bit...about 1 min 21.21 seconds duration. The estimated file size was 1.93 GB. The actual export file size was 2.09 GB.

• 6. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
                    rob@velds.nl Level 1

Yes, that was obviously the crucial point.

Hardware acceleration disabled an a file was created of 18.4 Gb but more important the quality a 4Kfilm worthy.

Problem solved, premiere can do better than I thought.

The edit phase is a real struggle (because of the slowness an MSX computer worthy) but if the result is then OK I can live with that.

I will redo my 4 earlier films with the right settings before making my Bluray. (I'll leave the Youtube ones unchanged)

I doubt whether in my country is an Adobe forum lik this. After so many years of absence (editing in Movieplus X6) this is a real relief and I am very grateful.

This is also meant for your colleagues

Rob Velds

Netherlands

• 7. Re: Quality issues Premiere 14 4KUHD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob

Just starting my day and found your great news of success with getting the full export with high quality. Glad that Hardware Acceleration preference setting was the key to the success.

Best wishes

ATR