20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 3:49 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere 11 hangs up

ads6816 Level 1

HANGING UP:I'm using Adobe Premiere 11 and while editing video it hangs up and give not responding. After many minutes it continues. Any idea what's going on?

• 1. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your source media?

Project settings?

Has it worked OK in the past, or has it always been like that?

Is QuickTime up to date?

What operating system?

Is your graphics driver up to date?

How much RAM?

Are all other applications working OK?

Did you make any system changes or updates recently?

Do you have any programs running in the background that may be updating or using resources?

• 2. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
            ads6816 Level 1

I am updating Quicktime now as it is the only item on your list out of date. I also disabled McAfee anti-virus; that's the only update I did in the last few months.

• 3. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Post back your results.

• 4. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                ads6816 Level 1

I updated Quicktime and I also check my graphics driver but it was up to date.   I have noticed that after loading PE11 my Project Assets say "Offline" for several minutes. I'm not sure that's related but the problem persists.

• 5. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

McAfee and firealls present major conflict many times for Premiere Elements. Do your problems exist with and without the McAfee and firewalls disabled or uninstalled?

For now I am assuming that you are using Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit. If not, please let us know Mac operating system.

Where do you store the source media that you are importing into your Premiere Elements 11 projects - external hard drive? If so, how is it formatted, and what happens if you bring in source media from a Local Disk C location instead of the external hard drive? Is the external hard drive changing drive letters from time to time?

Already asked, but I did not see the reply - what are the properties of the files that you are importing into your Premiere Elements project? Sometimes telling us the brand/model/setting for the camera that recorded that video will give us the video properties information that we need for troubleshooting. How long has the present problem existed?

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                    ads6816 Level 1

I have disable McAfee and firewalls. I am using Windows 7/64 bit. The source is on Drive C. Each video is from a Canon HD camcorder which use MTS file format. I've used it for years with no problem. Here's a screen  capture of the video properties. The problem started about a week ago. The update system update was installing McAfee about a month ago. I also notices if I minimize PE11, like I did to send this response, who I maximize the window it takes PE several minutes to reload the the project assets and video/audio controls.

video properites.jpg

• 7. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

Thanks for the reply and additional important troubleshooting details.

For the moment, let us focus on possibility of pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files.

Check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for exact locations

Preview Files

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

default location is Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/and in your case 11.0/

Conformed Audio

Media Cache Folder

Conformed Video

Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area with Clean button

Where are the Scratch Disks pointing to and how much free hard drive space is at those locations?

Also, consider running specifically the free ccleaner (regular and registry cleaner parts) to optimize the computer.

CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform

The link is for informational and non promotional purposes, and the free product is effective. I am pointing you to the free product only.

Please consider, and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                        ads6816 Level 1

I'm also wondering is RAM usage seems unusually high for this application.

OK, I think I've narrowed the problem down to the video itself. I can play it from start to finish using Media Player but when I add it to PE11 the problem persists.

memory usage.jpg

• 9. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

What is in the Premiere Elements 11 Windows project (complexity and duration) when you open the Task Manager/Processes to see 4649952 K for the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe process?

If I just open a new project in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 64 bit, the Task Manager/Processes reading for the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe is 449128 K and increases as I work in the project.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                            ads6816 Level 1

I think I solved the problem and I think it has to do with the video not "conforming".  Is it possible to force an imported video to "re-conform"?

• 11. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

You can force the project to re-conform a video file if the conformed video was deleted.

See

Local Disk C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common

Media Cache

and in the Media Cache Folder, you will find the .mcdb (conformed video) files. You can delete them all. The program regenerates them when and if needed.

Depending on your results, we can discuss your comment about the video conforming being the cause of your project issues.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                ads6816 Level 1

C:\User..dobe\Premeire ELements\11.0\  56.3 BG

Thank you for you feedback.  Now I noticed my video's audio is out of sync.

• 13. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I dont know how far you are into editing but if starting over is an option?

Rename folder your footage is in.

Make a new project matching the settings of your footage.

Double click on the Project Assets window and import the footage from your local drive (do not use a external drive)

See if its now any better.

• 14. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                    ads6816 Level 1

Thank you. I will give it a shot.

• 15. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

That was a huge pile up of conformed video files (56.3 GB).

While you are at it, consider deleting the conformed audio files. The pile up there might be huge also.

To find the location for the Media Files Folder, please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the category for Media Cache.

At that location, the deleted conformed audio will be regenerated by the program when it feels it needs them.

When all the conformed files are deleted, restart the computer, reopen Premiere Elements and the project that you are working on.

Any improvement?

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                        ads6816 Level 1

Why would this happen all of a sudden?

• 17. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

The level of pile ups from preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files can creep up on you. Example, the conformed audio files are typically KB sizes. These are the files automatically generated and placed on the hard drive by the project.

In contrast, we have the source media files, files that you import, edit, and export.

In all that you are doing now for the clean up, just be very careful that you do not move, delete, rename files and folders that were imported into the project that you are working on. You will get hit with some bad media-project disconnect problems if you do that move/delete/rename.

Did the clean ups make a difference yet in your project problem(s)?

ATR

• 18. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                            ads6816 Level 1

Well, I tried everything suggest but my audio is still out of sync when the video gets to a specific spot.  At that spot, it appears to jump to another section for one frame, then the audio goes out of sync. This is the very first time this has happened. Please assist if you can.

• 19. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The source is on Drive C. Each video is from a Canon HD camcorder which use MTS file format.

That is not a good idea if you have more then one drive in your computer. You source should be on a seperate internal drive.

Try suggestion in post 13.

But before importing the footage go into the project go to Preferences/Media and delete the Media Cache.

I you have a second drive might want to move the media cache location of the C drive onto this other drive.

• 20. Re: Premiere 11 hangs up
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ads6816

Thanks for the replies and the follow ups.

Continuing from my post 17 and your post 18.....

1. I have already mentioned deleting the preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files. Have you seen any gains when all of them are done? They appeared to have been eating up a lot of your computer hard drive space.

2. When you are playing back your video audio and running into audio out of sync, is there an orange line over that Timeline content that you are playing back? If so, please hit the Render button above the Timeline, and, after the Timeline rendering is complete and you see a green line instead of an orange line, does is the audio now in sync with the video?

As for the Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database, that relates to conformed video files (mcdb). And the actual files are stored by the program in a specific place.

That also I have already pointed to already

Local Disk C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common

Media Cache

and in the Media Cache Folder, you will find the .mcdb (conformed video) files. You can delete them all. The program regenerates them when and if needed.

Every time I have ever tried to relocate that Media Cache Folder (conformed video), I have found that this Folder regenerates back to the same area from which I deleted it. Some thing to be verified and considered if Media Cache Folder (conformed video files) becomes a key factor in all this.

This all started because of sluggish behavior of Premiere Elements 11. The pile ups of automatically generated project files seems to have contributed to much of it. Now the added factor is audio out of sync. How many of your files are presenting with audio out of sync? Just this one clip/source or all? Starting a new project is a classical troubleshooting tool to gauge if the problem is project specific.

Right now, I would encourage you

1. Recheck your project settings as compared to your file's properties

2. Finish off the clean ups for previews, conformed audio, conformed video (here I am suggesting going to the source and not just using the Clean button in Edit Menu/Preferences/Media).

Restart the computer

3. Look at other file(s) in the current project

4. Look at the problem file in a new project

And let us know the results to determine what they tell us.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR