8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 7:33 PM by jasonshit69

how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?

djmattyz Level 1

i just want to add in a few nulls and solids as a visual guide in my 3d scene but there seems to be no option for doing this without also creating a new camera

i already have a camera created..

how do i get around it?

• 1. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First set the origin and ground plane. Then create a null or a solid or a text and a camera. Then select at least 3 new points and create a null... you're just not following all the steps:

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 9.20.58 PM.png

You can also select a bunch of individual points and then create a null on each point. Here I selected 8 points:

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 9.22.46 PM.png

• 2. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?
            djmattyz Level 1

thats strange

my menu doesnt look like that at all

nulls.jpg

• 3. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?

You are just step one.  Create a camera and a null then pick a new target and create just a null.

Make sure AE is up to date.

• 4. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?
                adamneer Level 2

the nulls from a 3D camera track don't move- the camera that gets created is the one that's keyframed to match the motion in the scene. The right click menu and subsequent options rely on your comp containing a camera that was created from the tracker, so if you've just run the track and not created a camera from it, it won't allow you to set up nulls or layers because they'd just be floating out in the middle of some arbitrary plane. Once you've created a camera with the 3D camera tracker, any changes you make to the position of the camera will affect your ability to continue setting up nulls, so if the plugin doesn't sense you've got the right camera in your comp, it'll make you set up another one before giving you the option to drop nulls. If you are already working with a camera you are happy with, you can always precomp and set up a new camera with the tracker, drop your nulls or solids and then turn off the video layer to overlay the "markers" on your other comp (as long as you don't have collapse transforms enabled). Or, if position markers are really all you need, just run a few regular motion tracks and create your nulls the old fashioned way. 3D camera tracker is exactly as it's named- it tracks the motion of the camera that filmed the original footage, not the stuff in the scene.

• 5. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?

The advice in the previous post is not hundred percent accurate. If you are doing camera tracking you cannot apply any other animation or movement to the camera the tracker creates or 3-D objects placed in the same will no longer be locked into position.

The correct workflow is to get a good track, verify the track by adding a camera and something you can see. I prefer a solid. Then go back and add the other 3-D layers (nulls, text, solid) that you need to complete the shot. Then you animate the 3-D layers if necessary.

Re-tracking and adding a different camera will just foul things up.

• 6. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?
                    adamneer Level 2

I'm not sure how that's any different than the advice I gave.  I didn't suggest he change anything once the camera is created, and in fact warned that changing the camera will impede the ability to work with the plugin as-is.  Perhaps I should have expanded my reasoning for this, as changing the camera position WILL of course change the on-screen positioning of the nulls that were created using that camera as reference, but this should have been implied by my explanation that the nulls are referencing the camera for their positioning and that they aren't moving themselves.  The OP seems not to understand the fundamentals of how the 3D camera tracker works in this manner.  The information I gave should be much more beneficial to them than the suggestions you previously gave, which was not very helpful at all given that they clearly expressed they had already set up a camera they intended to use.

• 7. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?
                      adamneer Level 2

I will also add that I OFTEN make changes to the camera once I've created it, however I make sure to create all the positional nulls I foresee needing before I make any changes.  The camera tracker, while great, will seldom give a perfect result, so tweaking keyframes is a MUST in order to come up with the most realistic results.  You can see plenty of low-quality attempts at camera-tracking on youtube, where the person clearly just hit a few keys and accepted the results of the built-in effect.  But in order to get a truly believable result, you will almost always have to go in and edit the keyframes of the camera once they've been created.  An extremely useful script for post-camera-tracker workflow is "Orient World", which allows you to select a null you've already placed as your world center and reposition all the elements of the comp surrounding it, while keeping keyframed movements functional.  It also allows you to scale down the often unwieldy zoom levels the camera tracker creates, so you aren't working with positional values in the tens of thousands.  This is all prefaced with the warning that once you use this script, you cannot click back on the 3D Camera Tracker effect and set more nulls, since you will no longer have the camera positions it created.

Animating the nulls or layers to correct for a slightly-off camera track is a waste of time, if you can simply correct the camera, which is what is causing the off-positioning anyway.  Sometimes it is unavoidable, but it should be kept to a minimum in order to ensure the most accurate-looking results.

• 8. Re: how to create a solid or null on a 3d track point without creating a new camera?
                        jasonshit69

I think I have a similar issue. I have tracked my video clip and added some solids onto tracking points. Im satisfied with my video however now I want to go back and add some more solids.

So, I select the 3D camera tracker effect in my video layer and right click a tracking point to add a solid. But the menu now only gives the option to 'create solid and camera' as pictured in djmattyz screenshot above. When I select this it creates the solid but also throws all my previous solids off position.

So my question is:

Is there a way (in terms that somebody who has been using AE for a few days can understand - not like the above) to create new solids without adding a camera and throwing all the previous solids off position?