11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 9:21 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?

BARatcliffe

I'm back!  I have PE 12 videos up on mathmagicblocks.com, but some of them do not fill the YouTube screen  (There's a black region above the top of my head.)  I was able to expand the video while editing it in PE12, but when I uploaded the "fixed" video to You Tube, it didn't fix the problem.

• 1. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this the issue you are talking about?

2016-01-23_18-53-13.png

Post a screendump of your project settings/general and clip-properties (rightclick clip in the project assets),

• 2. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce,

Referring to our prior thread discussion

rotate video cuts off my head! : (

Are you still using video files 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second and rotating them on the Timeline?

When you did the upload to YouTube (which uses a 16:9 player), did you do it within the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 built in YouTube feature or as Timeline content export to file and then the file upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site? YouTube settings, pleased.

Based on our shared history on your videos, I will give this a look.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Before the two of us were trying to figure out how the tops of your rotated 1440 x 1080 video were getting chopped off in preview. We figured that out, and that is documented in the link that I post in post 2.

Now we get to the viewing of your videos by others, specifically viewing at YouTube where now the focus is still the top of the video, no chop offs this time, just black space as the photos seems to have been moved down in the video frame.

Assuming now is a continuation of before....Premiere Elements 12/12.1 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project setting, .your 00026mts import with rotate to right 90 degrees....

all is good, I cannot repeat what you present

a. Premiere Elements Timeline rotated .mts uploaded to YouTube using the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 YouTube built in feature and presets = High Definition Video to YouTube - 1440 x 1080

or

b. Export of the .mts to a .M2t file (Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1440 x 1080i30, followed by upload of that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site).

Neither had black above the top of the video.

Still thinking about this. The way that the bottom of the image presents (going into the controls bar) makes me wonder if setting of captions has anything to do with all this.

Please confirm the details (as many as possible) that I have assumed at this first work through of this issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                BARatcliffe Level 1

Here's the requested screen dump, Ann.  Hope it helps!

Bruce

• 5. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                  BARatcliffe Level 1

DEAR ATR (again! ":)

I was able to follow what you said in b. above, and am in the process of uploading the AVCHD file with th3e new presets.  We'll see how it goes!

Bruce

• 6. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BARatcliffe

Thanks.

Depending on the results, please take a look at how captions were and are now being applied to the YouTube playbacks.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                      BARatcliffe Level 1

Unfortunately,  Your careful advice (carefully followed by yours truly) made no difference: (

I don't know how to check the captions application you mention above, ATR.

\

Bruce

• 8. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the screendump can you also give me a screendump of the clips properties (the vertical one).

I have a feeling you are going about this the wrong way especially as this is for YT.

• 9. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the follow up.

When did you first run into this problem with the black space above the image?

Is the video that you are uploading to YouTube at the YouTube web site created the exact same way that 00026 was created?

Please recap steps with details on recording to and including upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

I will look into the YouTube captioning option and try to try to rule in or out this factor.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Forget about the captions.

I was finally able to reproduce your black border above the top of your YouTube uploads.

It all goes to your placement (moving down) of the rotated 1440 x 1080 in the Edit area monitor to get the view that you want in that rotated image.

Consider....in Premiere Elements

1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic project

Your rotated image look like this

pp.JPG

after I have selected the portion of it that I wanted. But here I picked an area where the top of the picture border exactly on the top of the black space.

But, when that is uploaded to YouTube from within Premiere Elements with a 1440 x 1080 preset, it looks like this at YouTube

Bruce.JPG

It is in these rotation maneuvers and positioning of the rotated image that appear to be getting you into programs.

More to come.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I change the size of a video on You Tube?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Add on....

Solutions for what you have already filmed...

No black top existed if I did the upload of the above to YouTube from within the Premiere Elements YouTube feature if I used the preset High Definition Video for YouTube - 1920 x 1080 instead of High Definition Video for YouTube - 1440 x 1080.

Are your videos less than 15 minutes in duration? If so, please see if you can confirm what I am reporting for the upload from within Premiere Elements feature..

I will post the results for what I am working on now for doing the export to file version from the same project that I used above, followed by the upload of the file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Note: At YouTube, you depend on YouTube for the settings for your 1440 x 1080 HD anamporhic 16:9 upload.

ATR

Add On....Also please try to confirm the following....

Export your 1440 x 1080 rotated Timeline content to a file Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/M2T 1920 x 1080i30. Then upload that to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

When I did that, no black top if the image position as mentioned before and above. Lots of variations to explore, but let us determine if what has been is observed there works for you.