16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 1:36 PM by heidib93830444

adobe crahses and no autosave

saholmes99 Level 1

Really just lost hours and hours of work because abode is one of the only programs that does not have autosaved backup files!!!   Absurd.

-Scott

• 1. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign does have an autosave and recovery feature. See this thread:

Auto save for InDesign documents?

• 2. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It is very unusual to hear this.

I’ve never seen the autorecovery feature not work. That said, why would you work for hours without saving and have you considered working in a dropbox folder? You should!

http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

• 3. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
              saholmes99 Level 1

That is not an autosave feature.   It saves a recovery file.   Which i my case today was rendered useless.  

All my other 3d, CAD and graphics programs have autosaves.   So if they ever fail I have the file that was saved within 15-20 minutes.  

• 4. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                saholmes99 Level 1

Because I am a designer working for long hours I have come accustom to my professional programs saving automatically.   I have all my files backed up on two hard drives mirrored on my server which then saves every file change to two online servers with 30 previous version copies.   I know how to not lose files.  I cannot afford any lost time.  

Adobe needs to fix this.  This is not the first time this has happenned.  Adobe is the only program I use that I have to ensure I auto-save, because the backup feature is not really a usable file.   It should just save the file in a separate folder as an indesign file... like all the other professional design programs do!   Not some antiquated recovery file that renders useless.  Even adobe inDesign does not how to read it is own recovery file!

• 5. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave

Antiquated? It was revolutionary when it was introduced and it still is incredibly reliable.

The reports of people losing files because of a crash are few and far between.

So far, all you’ve done is rant without giving us any specifics of your system or what is going on.

If that was all you wanted to do, I hope you feel better. If you want help, then give us the version of ID you’re using as well as your operating system and what you’re doing at the time of the crash. If you’re on a Mac, a crash report, posted to pastebin.com (NOT HERE) with a link so we can see it would be a start.

• 6. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                    saholmes99 Level 1

Bob, Thank you for your help and response.  I am not ranting.  I am merely stating the facts. When I post this info to other software companies, they appreciate the criticisms, that is how they get better.  IMHO, the autosave feature IS antiquated and has failed in the past.   Look at form z, autocad, 3dmax, and you will see a proper way to autosave, that actually saves a usable file that does not disappear.   Its pretty simple.   It sometimes annoys me when autocad, formz and 3dmax save every 15 minutes or so.  But usually, you don't even notice because my commuter and network are so fast. 

Windows Pro 8.1

I have Adobe InDesign  11.0.1.105 x64 Build (I use the cloud so this should be the current version... although the cloud turns on and off at will every so often.)

I have a Dell Workstation T7610 with two (2) XEON CPUs E5-2680 v2 2.8GHz

128GB RAM

Flash Harddrive

NVIDIA Quadro  K4000 w/ dual U2412M Displays

I was sending a print because I was finished and off to a meeting to present the 2017 calendar I have completed.   It printed.  Thankfully. 

Sorry if I forgot to save... have had not had to do that in many many years with any other professional program I use.    I am already 1/4 of the way through redoing everything I worked on this morning.

• 7. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave

First, I don’t work for Adobe and if you want to report bugs or feature requests it should be done here: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

That out of the way, you are not using the current version. The current version is 11.2 so running that update would be the first thing to do.

What happens after the crash when you restart InDesign? Are you prompted to start a recovery? Does it recover with no prompt? Do you get an error?

• 8. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                        saholmes99 Level 1

I did. 

Not the current version.   Did they add an autosave feature?

There was no prompt.  No error.   Just opened the original file.   I found the recovery file.   Then it vanished trying to open it.  

• 9. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave

What do you mean by "Just opened the original file?" There is no usable recovery file. If you messed with that before reopening InDesign that would explain your issue.

• 10. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                            saholmes99 Level 1

I opened Indesign first.  It went straight to the original saved file.   Then I tried to open the recovery file with indesign.  It said it was in use.  Then I closed adobe.  Tryed to open the file directly and it was overwritten by the new recovery file.

Thanks for your help.   This would never happen if there was an autosave feature that saves a usable file.   When you click on the recovery file it prompts to look for an app or program.

• 11. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave

When you say it went straight to the original saved file do you mean the file opens but only the version from hours ago?

I’ve never seen any more than two-three minutes of work lost.

I’m not minimizing your issue, just pointing out that it’s highly unusual and again, I would certainly start by installing the latest patch.

I am wondering if there’s some permissions issue getting in the way.

• 12. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

saholmes99 wrote:

I opened Indesign first.  It went straight to the original saved file.   Then I tried to open the recovery file with indesign.  It said it was in use.  Then I closed adobe.  Tryed to open the file directly and it was overwritten by the new recovery file.

Thanks for your help.   This would never happen if there was an autosave feature that saves a usable file.   When you click on the recovery file it prompts to look for an app or program.

The recovery file is a database of change information since the last save, so it should open the saved version (as untitled) and make the changes in the recovery data. You then need to save that version. If you failed to save that file and closed InDesign, the only thing left would be the last saved version. The recovery data itself cannot be opened as a user file, and there is no "recovery version" as such.

On rare occasions the recovery data is damaged during a crash (and InDesign crashes on launch trying to do the auto-recovery), in which case emptying the recovery folder generally allows you to open the last-saved version from the file menu. In extremely rare cases there is also damage to the saved version written to disk, which I think indicates a crash during the actual save operation so the file is not completely written. You can minimize potential crashes by doing a Save As periodically (it removes old change data from the file which becomes useless bloat after your editing session is closed), and avoiding pasting images or embedding links. I find it useful to do a save as to a new name (a versioning suffix, generally) each time I come to a major change point in the project. This not only gives me an easy way to branch in a new direction from some previous state, but it also provides a back-up file chain in case something goes wrong.

I get the sense from your post that crashing is not a rare occurrence for you. Frankly, to me that means you have some sort of system issue that needs to be addressed. If InDesign crashes here more than once a year for any reason other than working with someone else's damaged file I would be surprised.

• 13. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                                  saholmes99 Level 1

Thank you, I appreciate the responses, but a backup file is the best solution to avoid these problems.   Autodesk programs do this, formz, etc. 

To reiterate, I opened the file and it was the original unedited file.  If I closed it because I got worried the recovery file would be overwritten while researching a solution and this caused my issue, then even more reason adobe recovery feature is subpar.

There is nothing "wrong" with my system.  It is the best money can buy.  Of course, that can be debated, but it is certified to run intensive 3d programs and is less than 1 year old.   I pay extra to Dell for that certification.  All programs will crash eventually if you use them like an architectural firm would.   Usually they crash due to a graphics concern.    We push the limits, and crashed files are the nature of the business when creating complex 3d models with even more complex lighting and rendering.  My other program do exactly what you say automatically so I have an on-going record.  All I am asking is adobe do the same.  This history will help when there becomes something corrupt and I need to delete that element out of the file and reinsert from an older file.

Abobe just needs save a backup file every 15 minutes or for what ever period the user specifics.  It's quite simple. 

Thankfully adobe does not have the market cornered for CAD.   Then I would be in real trouble

-Scott

• 14. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave

Again, I’m not minimizing your issue, but whatever it is, is confined to a yours and perhaps a very small number of others. For the vast majority the current recovery is near miraculous and I doubt very much that Adobe is going to change it.

That leaves it up to you to hit ctrl+s once in a while to make sure you don’t lose hours of work. This is good practice anyway.

I would suggest a bit of an experiment. Start a new file. Just add some text frames, maybe place a few images and then then force quit, InDesign. Restart it. Does the file recover?

• 15. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

We understand that you would like a "real" autosave and a file that you can access. I was explaining to you how InDesign works so you would know how to deal with things as they are, and will remain for the foreseeable future. Nor am I suggesting that your problem is necessarily hardware. Most crashing problems in InDesign are caused by other software that is conflicting.

For the record, I've never seen a program that makes an automatic backup chain. One backup version, yes, but a new one, that you can access, every set time period, no.

I run Shadow Protect imaging software which has very flexible parameters for how often to image your drives and what you can save. You might want to look into that.

• 16. Re: adobe crahses and no autosave
                                        heidib93830444

Hi Bob,

I'm following this thread because I truly lost work. I was editing copy in Adobe Acrobat DC (PDF fie) and went to save and Adobe crashed, multiple times. The copy edits are gone and I cannot seem to recover. Is there anything I can do?