7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 12:25 PM by Just Shoot Me

Lightroom Catalog for several users?

sebastians5922181

Hello,

is it possible to create one Catalog an store it in the shared section of our iMac, so that two different users can open this catalo as default Catalog?

thanks,

Basti

• 1. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The LR catalog has to be local to the computer LR is being used on. It can't be on a shared network, or networked, drive (NAS or computer on the network).

It can be on an External drive along with all images and that external drive can be moved from computer to computer.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?
            sebastians5922181 Level 1

thanks for your help, but i think i was misunderstanding:

I have a iMac with two user accounts. Can booth user accounts work with the same catalogue? The Catalogue would be stored, with all the images on the build in hard drive, but not in one user's Userfolder but in a folder, booth users have access to.

thanks again...

• 3. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Putting the catalog in a "public" folder should work. The trick is to make sure both users have READ and WRITE access to that folder and the files in it.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?

sebastians5922181 wrote:

thanks for your help, but i think i was misunderstanding:

I have a iMac with two user accounts. Can booth user accounts work with the same catalogue? The Catalogue would be stored, with all the images on the build in hard drive, but not in one user's Userfolder but in a folder, booth users have access to.

thanks again...

Yes sure both users can use the same catalog. But as stated above the catalog must be placed in a folder that both users have Read & Write permissions.

That is easily done by creating a new folder in the ROOT of the Macintosh HD then assign Read + Write permissions to that folder for both users. Then Copy the catalog file and the Previews folder to that folder. You will then need to start LR for each user and select File>Open Catalog and browse to the folder you created and the copied catalog file.

The only problem you might encounter is if one user had LR running and didn't shut it down completely then you switched users. A .LOCK file is created everytime LR opens so no other app can modify the catalog file. It is deleted when LR is fully shut down. If the first user doesn't Quit LR and Log Off when the second user tries to access the catalog they might get an error message. Lightroom catalog is being use by another application.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?
                  Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like what you want is to store the catalog in a subfolder of the "Shared" user account, which is installed by default on OS X at the same level as the other user accounts on the same system volume? If so, this should work fine. There is no need to use the default OS X Public folder or create another one, and no need to put it on an external drive. Putting it inside the default Shared user folder should be enough.

When I have tried this, the main issue I ran into was related to permissions. For example, if one user created the folder containing the Lightroom catalog they are probably the only user with read/write permission for that folder. When adding read/write permission to more users with Get Info, you will also need to select "Apply to enclosed items" so that the permissions apply to everything inside. But if any user adds new folders along any path Lightroom uses, you might have to fix permissions again.

Also, and you might already know this, if a second user wants to log in and open that Lightroom catalog, the first user must not still be using that same catalog.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?
                    Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I guess I took too long to post, yours already covered it! I have a question for you though, what are the advantages/disadvantages of storing a shared Lightroom catalog at the root level versus inside the Shared user? I generally try to keep all user files at the user account level.

Shootistbond007 wrote:

That is easily done by creating a new folder in the ROOT of the Macintosh HD then assign Read + Write permissions to that folder for both users. Then Copy the catalog file and the Previews folder to that folder. You will then need to start LR for each user and select File>Open Catalog and browse to the folder you created and the copied catalog file.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Catalog for several users?

SaturnV wrote:

I guess I took too long to post, yours already covered it! I have a question for you though, what are the advantages/disadvantages of storing a shared Lightroom catalog at the root level versus inside the Shared user? I generally try to keep all user files at the user account level.

Shootistbond007 wrote:

I'm just a ROOT kind of guy. When I ran a Mac I placed all my User folders in the ROOT of the Macintosh HD, Pictures, Documents and the like. But then I gave my username full Read/Write permissions to the ROOT. It is my computer and my files. I'll store them wherever I want.

I do the same on Windows and have for many many years.