6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 7:36 AM by MW Design

Moving to Quark?

Richard Broom Level 1

I'm not sure if I am alone but I have been considering moving away from Adobe products from some time now.  I've never been happy with the monthly payment idea and the recent problems with Bridge (move to El Captian) has been the straw that has broken the camel's back..

I've found the Affinity programs which replace Photoshop and Illustrator, I'm looking at Final Cut Pro and, now (and I never thought I would do this), I am considering moving to Quark.  None of the companies that produce these products charge monthly fees.

I have never used Quark but I wonder a) is anyone else thinking of moving away from Adobe for the same reason I am and b) does anyone have any thoughts on Quarkxpress and how it stacks up against InDesign?

I have been a full Cloud CC subscriber but I don't use all the programs (Fireworks and others) and so I am paying for stuff I don't use.  I will miss Bridge but I am sure there are plenty of file handling programs out there (ACDsee perhaps?).

Richard

• 1. Re: Moving to Quark?
          MW Design Level 4

Hello Richard,

If you are solely in control over what applications you use, there is no real reason not to switch as regards output. I am not fully in control and so I have a few versions of each applications installed for doing various client work. Though I stopped the merry-go-round with CS6 as I have only had a couple clients using CC or higher and dealt with that as they were only one-offs.

The switch will involve a learning curve. For some it is trivial, for others not so much. I saw the same thing when diehard Quark people made the switch to ID. You could always download the trial...a piddly three days if I recall. That can be easily extended via contacting Quark.

I also could not imagine a sole switch to QXP with a means of moving files from ID. That may or may not be a concern, but for myself I as often than not need to update ID files I may not have opened for a couple years or more. There is a plug-in that can do the bulk of the work. Results will vary but I have had good success with the Q2ID and ID2Q plug-ins.

Serif will also be releasing their Affinity Publisher late in the year as well. Once that is released Serif will be then work on porting them to Windows.

Mike

• 2. Re: Moving to Quark?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I haven't had occasion to work with anything newer than Quark 8 or 9, but unless they've made massive UI changes I wouldn't even consider going back, myself. So many functions that are in dockable panels in ID were hidden away in dialogs that had to be opened and closed repeatedly that from a productivity standpoint making the switch from Q to ID was like going from a Yugo to a Porsche.

• 3. Re: Moving to Quark?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mike wrote:

Serif will also be releasing their Affinity Publisher late in the year as well. Once that is released Serif will be then work on porting them to Windows.

Hi Mike,

see the "About" page where Serif Ltd. is stating about Affinity Publisher:

"Expected to be in beta by the end of 2016 and launch later in 2017…"

Hi Richard,

for XPress I would really miss ExtendScript, that is compatible with Mac OSX and Windows.
              On Mac OSX you could use AppleScript to tame the app, but I doubt, that XPress' scripting DOM (Document Object Model) is as vast as InDesign's.
              But that's my personal view. And I'm not into AppleScript for XPress, just glanced over the scripting help. Basically I think, there are far more resources (also free ones) for ExtendScript for InDesign than for AppleScript for XPress.

If you are producing PDFs for print and do not rely on data input from customers or colleagues who are using InDesign, XPress could be an alternative. But it would be challenging, if customers provide PSD files or Illustrator files using the latest features and demand some editing (not only placing the files unaltered on a page). Having the latest PhotoShop (or Illustrator) at hand is a must then. Older versions might ruin the data.

Also prepare to buy some 3rd party extensions when changing to XPress.

If you are using InDesign's Datamerge feature a lot for example.* There are other examples as well.

Uwe

* EDITED

• 4. Re: Moving to Quark?
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I want to add, that I would dearly missing GREP search & replace, GREP Styles and using Regular Expressions with ExtendScript should I ever being forced to switch from InDesign to XPress.

Uwe

• 5. Re: Moving to Quark?
                  Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

To declare any conflicts of interest with my answers, read my profile to know where my interests lie before reading my answer.

Now then, in direct answer to the OP's two questions:

a) Not in my circumstances for the following reasons:

• IMO I find it much easier to use than Quark Xpress;
                  • Most of our existing files are set up in Adobe InDesign;
                  • Most of our customers use Adobe InDesign or any other software besides Quark Xpress;
                  • CC is the full suite of applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat... fundamental software for use in a Printing company. Not as simple as swapping ID for QXD, other applications need to be swapped too.

I'm not a fan of a subscription-based business model, but Adobe aren't alone, Microsoft have the Office 365 subscription model in place, as too does the Autodesk fleet of products. It's not just my subscription either, but for the suite of prepress and designers that use it.

That said, if I compare ID CS6 to CC from a printing standpoint, there isn't a great deal of difference and for the projects that I do on a daily basis. On that note, could the OP simply use an older version of ID that has the perpetual licence and still carry out their day-to-day activities? I do collaborate with a freelancer who is currently using CS4 to create 500+ page Biology books and it still does the job.

b) I answered that in the first part of a), but I'm simply more comfortable preparing artwork in InDesign than I ever was using Quark Xpress. There's also a tremendous amount of resources online for InDesign from its users and community, more than I ever saw with Quark Xpress. For me, the big thing with InDesign is being able to "script a way out of trouble" using Javascript.

• 6. Re: Moving to Quark?
                    MW Design Level 4

I don't want to defend another company's product on this forum. Having need to use both--and Q more than ID these days--for the kinds of work I typically do, there really isn't much difference to me. Except the days I have to be in both applications. It can be hard on the noggin at first.

@Peter,

Yeah, Q is more shortcut driven if one wants efficiency. But whether a panel gets focus, a dialog pops up, a property bar has focus, all because of a keyboard shortcut, there isn't much difference. Using a mouse solely in either application is what is slow. At least, to me there isn't much difference in "speed." Comes down to it, my brain is slower than solely using a mouse...

@Uwe,

Yeah, Affinity Publisher got pushed back. They are open betas though and the developers are keen to make the applications useful to a wide range of needs. The input from the people using the free open beta will shape not only what capabilities are baked-in the first release, but how those features are accomplished. Not that Serif doesn't understand page layout--PagePlus (for Windows) is currently on version 19 (X9) and they have been doing this for a long, long time.

For data merge capabilities, I cannot understand anyone using ID's native capabilities for anything other than labels. I have long been a believer in InData/XData for nearly all my data merge needs. It's an amazing piece of kit.

I'll leave the thread alone now.