5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 9:47 AM by JasmineJasmine

I need help with video editing and post production build

TadejTinev

Hello,

I have decided after a long time to invest in video editing PC for me to use at home ( at work i have dual Xeon based build). After extended research i have settled on this configuration and i am interested in your opinion, and maybe some improvement suggestions. I have chosen the X99 platform for future upgrade compatibility and the CPU i have chosen now, i may replace further down the road if/when Intel realeases the new 10 core LGA2011-3 i7 CPU. So i didnt want to spend more money on the 5930K or 5960X at this point, and i feel the 5820K with a stabile overclock will give me the results i want for now, as i edit 1080p videos for now.

I am shooting mostly on SONY PMW EX1 and NIKON D800, with occasional 4k footage from DRONES. I use PP for editing, AE for post production and motion graphics, AME for renders, Lightroom and PS for RAW photo editing.

Case: Fractal Design R5 Blackout edition

PSU: CORSAIR HX750i 750W 80+Platinum Modular (I hope this will be enough even with an overclock)

MB: ASUS X99 PRO / USB 3.1

CPU: INTEL Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz 15MB BOX LGA2011-3

CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15S

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4A2666C16 32GB (4 sticks to leave upgrade options to 64, and to take advantage of the quad channel)

GPU: ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB PCIe (Is it worth getting the 980 for those extra CUDA cores given it is 200$ more?)

SSD1: SAMSUNG 850 EVO series 250GB 25/S600 - OS and PROGRAMS and PP cache files

SSD2: SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD PCIe 3.0x4 - MEDIA, PROJECT, PREVIEW FILES and RENDER OUTPUT

HDD1: WD WD40EFRX 4TB 64M/S600 Red Edition - I may got with dual drives in RAID1 to store everything after I am done with the project, and copy everything from SSD2 to HDD1, but for now I am going with just one and will upgrade if more space and backup is needed.

I plan on running Windows 10 64-bit PRO.

Let me know what you think and suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Thx

• 1. Re: I need help with video editing and post production build
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

good case and cpu cooler, the 10 core i7-6950x is rumored about 6 months out and compatible with x99. you wouldn't have to upgrade right then, but whenever you felt the need.

if you are looking for max stable overclock, and expansion like another video card, a quality 1k watt will be a better option. for a little bit more, the XFX P1-1250-BEFX and evga SuperNOVA 1300 G2 are on sale with rebates, if you don't mind rebates. the corsair hx850i is also just a bit more with its rebate, the hx1000i jumps up a bit with no rebate.

gpu - core to core count, the gtx 980 would be worth $400 vs the gtx 970 prices. the gtx 980 has more than just a core count difference, but it still makes the $500+ price tag unattractive. if you think you need more power right now, take a look a the gtx 980ti. if not, go with the gtx 970 and if/when you do need an upgrade, add another for premiere or upgrade to pascal or later, when nvidia releases.

if possible, i would avoid mirror or any raid for backup. raid (even mirror) can add an extra point of failure or data corruption vs isolated drives and data. three separate copies is good for critical data, two if not so important. using a cloud service can be a good option for one of the backup copies.

• 2. Re: I need help with video editing and post production build
            TadejTinev Level 1

if you think you need more power right now, take a look a the gtx 980ti. if not, go with the gtx 970 and if/when you do need an upgrade, add another for premiere or upgrade to pascal.

Unfortunately the budget is not unlimited for me even this is pushing it a little... I am wondering tho, what do you mean upgrade to Pascal ? Sorry if it is a stupid question. First time i am hearing of this Pascal.

Also reading the forums i noticed some people say Samsung 850 EVO is not a good idea for OS and i should go with 850 PRO ? Is it worth the extra 50$ for PRO ?

Thx

• 3. Re: I need help with video editing and post production build

pascal is nvidia's next gen architecture. its also a many months out, but its the next release vs current maxwell gtx 900 series.

there are a couple of points for evo vs pro series of the samsung ssd's. warranty length, reliability, speed, and endurance, the pro series are better in all categories. however, the os/apps drive doesn't need to be super fast, and may not see the amount of read and write cycles as compared to the media and cache drives. often a larger evo, say the evo 500gb vs pro 256gb, can overcome some of the speed and endurance, but is still leaves the warranty and reliability in question. samsung has been leading the way with ssd tech, and always shines in reviews and tests, so i personally don't worry much about the evo's. i think its a better chance most would upgrade for something bigger/newer/faster before it fails. if you plan on using it forever, the extra $50 for the pro might be worth the 10year warranty.

• 4. Re: I need help with video editing and post production build

if you are still looking to buy parts, newegg has the hx1000i on its shell shocker sale today, good price with rebate...

• 5. Re: I need help with video editing and post production build
                  JasmineJasmine

If you are looking for max stable overclock and expansion like another video card, a quality 1k watt will be a better option. For a little bit more, the XFX P1-1250-BEFX and evga SuperNOVA 1300 G2 are on sale with rebates, if you don't mind rebates.