10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 11:12 AM by Jao vdL

Problems importing from iPhoto

hnatkin1

I want to import my photos from iPhoto Library.  I go to Plug-In Extras -> Import from iPhoto Library and then select Photos library. Then I get an error message that reads "This is not an i Photo library, the plug-in module expects version 9.5.1 or higher". What do I do?

• 1. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
          robgendreau Level 3

If you have a library created by an older version of iPhoto, you need to get a newer version of iPhoto and convert.

Your original photos are probably inside iPhoto's library, which can be accessed by "Open Package" or whatever it's called. It would be a pain to move those out and import into Lr, however, so perhaps best if you can upgrade your library.

• 2. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
            hnatkin1 Level 1

I don't think that's the problem. I bought my computer in July and have installed system updates as they have become available. I have Lightroom 6.

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
              BKKDon Level 4

hnatkin1 wrote:

I don't think that's the problem. I bought my computer in July and have installed system updates as they have become available. I have Lightroom 6.

Sent from my iPad

Have you checked what version of iPhoto you have?

• 4. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                robgendreau Level 3

iPhotos isn't Photos, which is what would have come with the new computer.

Is it a Photos or an iPhoto library you're seeking to import? Was it an old library that you let Photos convert? Do you still have iPhoto, and what version?

• 5. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                  hnatkin1 Level 1

Photos

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                    hnatkin1 Level 1

I am using Photos version 1.3 and am using OS El Capitan 10.11.2

• 7. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                      robgendreau Level 3

Lightroom's import plugin doesn't work with Apple Photos. It only works with iPhoto or Aperture libraries, which you don't have apparently.

If you images are in a managed Photos library, you would have to use the Photos application to export the unmodified originals to folders in the Finder, and then use the regular Lightroom import process (not the plugin) to add them to Lr's catalog.

2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                        imustacheyou

This is what I am seeing on other forums as well.  Many Apple products on the market right now have limited disk space (MacBook Air, iPad Pro, etc.), and have the additional issue of lacking USB ports on their newest iterations, making file transfers between hardware/storage laborious. Most of Adobe's Lightroom customers shoot raw, or other large file sizes so that we can optimize our edits.  Expecting Adobe customers to maintain two photo file systems, and thereby DOUBLING the data being stored, or jumbling between the computer and external storage, is asking a bit much especially considering the file size of the program itself. It's limitations like these that have pushed me out the door of being an Adobe customer.  If they would fix the import problem so that Photos is recognized as an import source, it might still be worthwhile to use Lightroom. 

• 9. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                          robgendreau Level 3

It's not Adobe's fault that Photos doesn't play well with competing applications.

And I don't understand your point about two image systems; I have tens of thousands of images and a MBP with limited space, and because of the way Lr works, especially with smart previews, it's super easy and efficient to store images on a variety of internal and external disks, and move them about. No duplicates at all. You can even manage the size of previews, caches, etc.

Photos, OTOH, require one big giant managed system library, at least if you're gonna use iCloud Photo Library.

Expecting Adobe to reverse engineer a free application like Photos just so some people can migrate their libraries to Lr and preserve edits in some form is probably asking way too much. If it were simple to do, more applications would have done it. But they pitch Lr to more serious photographers who are unlikely to be using Photos, or would simply move all the raws over to Lr manually.

• 10. Re: Problems importing from iPhoto
                            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To import Photos images, find the Photos Library in your Pictures folder. Control (or right click if you set that up) click on it and select "show package contents". Find the "Masters" folder and drag it on Lightroom. In the import panel make sure to include subfolders in the import. If you do not want to duplicate the images, select "add" in the import panel. You can also select "move" if you are certain you will never use "Photos" again  but I would not recommend that.

1 person found this helpful