19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2016 11:10 AM by RoninEdits

NEW Computer For Premiere

CuriousErezMor Level 1

Hello everybody!

i want to purchase a new PC to work better with premiere

i have some hardware in my current PC that i believe i can keep for the new one:

16 GB (4X4) DDR3 669MHZ (7-7-7-16)

1Tb WD drive

500GB samsung drive

CPU Cooler ,cooler master hyper 212

Antec 300 Case

seasonic 520 watts power supply

all the peripherals quiqment

and a copy of windows and premiere.

i can afford 500-600 dollars

Thank You!

• 1. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you have to keep your old pc parts, you could upgrade mdb/cpu and video card. a H97 LGA 1150 motherboard , i7-4790 and gtx 950 should fit your budget. Z97 motherboards wil support other features, like overclocking, but to overclock requires a better power supply and unlocked i7-4790K. lga 1150 motherboards use ddr3, but you still may want to check the motherboard you want to get for memory compatibility against your ddr3 ram. they often have a memory QVL on the mfg website.

if you can sell your computer for a good price, then you might consider building a new computer with the latest tech (like ddr4 ram) and better parts (like higher watt power supply). starting costs for a better computer than the i7-4790 option above, will start at around $1200+.

• 2. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
            CuriousErezMor Level 1

sry for the ignorance, how i check if the MB will support the RAM?

this is the RAM :

Kingston 4GB PC3-10600u 2Rx8 DDR3 1333Mhz NON ECC

and here is the memory support list from GYGABYTE website:

GA-H97-D3H

http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-h97-d3h.pdf

will it work?

• 3. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

you need to find the part number of the ram you have, thats whats listed in the qvl's. you can use this program to see if it will find it, PassMark RAMMon

it should show up in the program as the module part#, and might look something like  KVR1333D3N9/4G

if your memory doesn't show in the qvl it may still work, but it there is a small chance it may not. finding a motherboard that supports your memory gives a better chance that there will be no issues. asus and gigabyte are good mbd mfg's.

• 4. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                CuriousErezMor Level 1

couldnt find my module part in that list

how can i know?

• 5. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

is your pc a custom built or off-the-shelf dell etc? if custom, do you have part numbers from when they were ordered or receipt? you might be able to look on the memory itself, sometimes there are stickers with the model number.

if you can't find any number for the memory, you may have to just order a motherboard and hope for the best. the odds are decent that the memory will work, all of this stuff is made to specs that should be followed by memory and motherboard mfg's, but sometimes the parts don't play nice. if the memory doesn't work you would have to buy new memory and could try selling the old, or if you are going to sell your old mbd/cpu, you could include the ram in the combo.

if you planned on buying new memory from the start, that opens more upgrade options and you might pick differently. a skylake i7-6700 build would be $50-100 more (not including ram), but has new tech/features including ddr4. the i7-6700 is performing similar to the i7-4790, so it would just be the other features making it slightly better. haswell-E i7-5820k would be $150-$200 more (not including ram), again with new features/tech, ddr4, but also a 6 core cpu which is more powerful.

• 6. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                    CuriousErezMor Level 1

the module part no is: NT4GC64B8HG0NF-CG

i couldnt find it in gygabyte list

• 7. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

that part number on websites say its from NANYA. asus shows several motherboards with memory qvl's that show your memory, the Nanya NT4GC64B8HG0NF-CG. i couldn't find any for gigabyte, so you may want to look thru the h97 and z97 mbd's for asus.

so here is another variable... the new skylake cpu's are capable of using ddr3 and ddr4, but the motherboard memory sockets have to be one or the other as the memory types are physically different. there are a few rare motherboards that support the latest skylake i7-6700 cpu and older ddr3. i believe i saw one motherboard that supported both ddr3 and ddr4, two memory slots for each type, but could only use two sticks of ram at a time. if you did buy a new z170 skylake mbd and cpu, its possible to use your old ddr3 with some, they just need to have all 4 slots as ddr3 type. asus has some of these skylake mbd's with your memory on the qvl too. the skylake mbd and i7-6700 cpu will cost a bit more, so it may not be worth it unless you plan on having several pcie cards and a m.2 ssd. the ASUS Z170-P D3 motherboard supports m.2 ssd's, but doesn't have the latest usb 3.1.

• 8. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                        CuriousErezMor Level 1

RoninEdits first of all take you so much for your time and knoledge

maybe its time to put thoes ram sticks behind and get new ones like you suggested in your first reply,

i dont want to purchase a MB that will limit me in the futer...

what i can get for 1000$-1200$ budget?

• 9. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

if you can sell your old computer for a decent price, then its money to be rolled into a new pc. if not, buying just a few parts to upgrade may still cut your upgrade cost in half for a similar performing pc... there are endless threads on pc's and parts in the hardware forum, this thread should have been moved there already.

i listed the main configs above, here they are again with starter prices, like 2 hdd's.

hasswell refresh i7-4790  around $1k  (4 core cpu)

skylake i7-6700   around $1.1k  (4 core cpu, similar speed as i7-4790, but skylake mbd has newer tech)

haswell-E i7-5820k  around 1.2k  (6 core cpu)

another option that might be better for you, is buying a pre-made computer. some models have competitive prices, starting at or under $900 with the i7-6700, and if anything happens you only have to deal with one company for troubleshooting and repairs. hp has some good prices on the Envy and Envy Pheonix models. the Envy Pheonix 850se even has the i7-5820k available in it. asus also sells several models, but may be harder to find a model with spec's for an editing machine. ASUS Desktop Computer M32CD-US014T Intel Core i7 6700 (3.4 GHz) 16 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit - Newegg.com  this one is mostly good specs and price, but amd video card instead of nvidia. the amd cards are still usable, but perform lower in mpeg2 benchmarks and a few other spots.

dell and lenovo are to be avoided, till they grow up and stop sabotaging the software security of the pc. in todays cyberwarfare environment, its not acceptable nor excusable.

• 10. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                            CuriousErezMor Level 1

Maybe i will just open a

new post in the hardware forum

if this post wont be moved.

what about the other parts, that will suit with the CPUs that

you have suggested above? the MB GPU and RAM

• 11. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Maybe i will just open a

new post in the hardware forum

if this post wont be moved.

what about the other parts, that will suit with the CPUs that

you have suggested above? the MB GPU and RAM

I'll move it for you. Thanks for all the advice RoninEdits!

Kevin

• 12. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

those are starter prices, and could increase very fast with a better gpu, more ram, and storage. those prices include 16gb of memory and a gtx 950. the i7-5820k starts at 1.2k, but to get it with optimized parts to handle 4k projects may cost between 1.5k-2k.

hasswell refresh i7-4790, h97 or z97 mbd   around $1k  (4 core cpu)

skylake i7-6700, h170 or z170 mbd   around $1.1k  (4 core cpu, similar speed as i7-4790, but skylake mbd has newer tech)

haswell-E i7-5820k, x99 mbd   around 1.2k  (6 core cpu)

• 13. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                                  CuriousErezMor Level 1

I will go with the cheap option:

i7-4790k - New Intel Core i7 4790K 4 Cores 4 0GHz LGA1150 8MB 88W 22nm BXC80646I74790 CPU | eBay

GTX 950 - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 OC Graphics Card 2G DDR5 128 Bit PCI E HDMI | eBay

H97 - Asus H97 Pro Gamer Motherboard CPU i3 i5 i7 LGA1150 Intel H97 DDR3 SATA3 HDMI | eBay

or maybe the Z97 is better fot OC - Asus Motherboard Z97 K CSM S1150 Z97 PCIe DDR3 SATA USB | eBay

i am buying from ebay cause i need to ship it international, newegg doesnt ship to my country...

this setup looks okay?

• 14. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

the i7-4790k does have a stock 4.4ghz speed vs the i7-4790 non k version's 4.0ghz turbo. so it will be faster at stock, even without overclocking, but requires the z97 mbd to overclock higher. i wouldn't bother with overclocking, it will require a high end motherboard, high quality and watt power supply, and expensive cpu cooler.

the cpu, mbd, and gpu should cost around $550-$600 usd. those prices on some of the ebay parts are expensive. the gtx 950 should be around $150 usd, the gtx 960 $200 usd.

make sure your case can hold a full size atx motherboard too, or buy one that matches your case. if you have room in your case for a bigger cpu cooler, the coolermaster evo 212 is a popular and affordable cpu cooler that works much better than the stock cooler that comes with the intel cpu.

• 15. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                                      CuriousErezMor Level 1

Good, i already have the evo 212 cooler,

my case specs says: "steel ATX Mid Tower"  will it fit?

should i just buy the Z97 for a futer overclock? it cost about the same as the H97,

do you know a site that sell these parts in good price and ship to israel?

• 16. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

atx motherboards have 7 slots on them for add-in cards, like a video card or sound card. if you have a regular atx case, it will have 7 or 8 slot panels on the back of the case. if you only have 4 or 5 on your case, you would need a micro-atx motherboard, which has 4 slots. or if you have a micro atx case with 4 slots, but cannot find a good deal on a micro atx motherboard, you can also buy a new atx case to hold everything. there are some decent atx cases around $50 usd.

you can buy a z97 motherboard if you want, or cannot find a better deal on a h97.

i don't know of any good sites for shipping to israel.

it would be good if you have a friend that can help you pick parts and upgrade your pc, and that person may know of a good website to buy parts.

• 17. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                                          CuriousErezMor Level 1

I have 7 slots

now i will search for the best prices

and again thank you very much RoninEdits you have been realy helpful building this new pc.

• 18. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere
                                            CuriousErezMor Level 1

One more thing, would you recomend an ssd?

• 19. Re: NEW Computer For Premiere

the media drive is most important, if you can afford an ssd that will hold your media and projects, then it will help some with a more responsive editing experience. the larger the bitrate of your media, the more it will be required for a fast drive just for playback. some media like medium-to-low bitrate h264 media should be fine on a fast 7200 rpm hdd. if you need lots of space and want a bit more speed, you can look into using the motherboard raid with some regular hdd's. like 2x2tb raid 0. just make sure your media/projects are backed up, as you should with any drive.