11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 6:13 PM by dj_paige

Export is not taking all keywords with file

BrendaTharp

So here's a strange one. I exported a bunch of photos for my stock agency, with keywords, and the hierarchy keyword box was also checked. The files are jpegs, and when I went into File info I could see the keywords. But then as I randomly checked a few images I noticed that keywords that I knew I had entered were missing. So I opened the folder in Adobe Bridge CC, and looked at them there, and sure enough, the keywords that are in the Lightroom database are not all being exported to the file. I spent over an hour on the phone with an Adobe Lightroom person yesterday, but he couldn't resolve why this was the case. He even took over my screen to poke around. While there, he copied my keywords and then told me on the phone that he added them to a LR database he has for troubleshooting, and did an export and the image had all the keywords.

So that led me to test this with my laptop catalog and after export in the same way, ALL the keywords were exported. So it does appear that there is something wrong with my main Lightroom database on my home computer. HOW TO FIX? (Short of creating a new catalog and importing everything in my 160,000 or so image library back in, which is the final option)

Now it should be mentioned that back in the summer, I had an issue with my catalog getting corrupted and I had to go back to a copy that was a few days old but thankfully everything seemed to be just fine with that one. However, I never noticed the keywords until now. Maybe it's been a problem all along since the summer, who knows.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Brenda

• 1. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
          dj_paige Level 9

Right click on one of these problem keywords, select Edit Keyword Tag, then make sure that the box "Include on Export" is checked

• 2. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Also, you need to examine all of the child keywords for a problem keyword and make sure Export Containing Keywords is checked.

You can quickly check whether LR will export all of a photos' keywords.  Select the photo. In the Keywording panel on the right of Library, choose Keyword Tags: Will Export.  That will show you the keywords that LR will export for that photo.

• 3. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
              BrendaTharp Level 1

thank you! I didn't know this and the support team on the phone for Lightroom didn't either - after 1 1/2 hours they couldn't solve this. So much for that.

• 4. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                BrendaTharp Level 1

Thank you John - I did that and I'm delighted to learn about this feature! But I do need to know how I can verify ALL keywords are checked in the keyword list. For one example, these are the keywords I typed in:

architecture, flowers, France, lavender farms, medieval, Provence, romantic, southern, stone, Vaison du Romain, Vaison region, vertical, villages

and the ones that will export are: architecture, medieval, romantic, southern, stone, vertical.  NOT very useful as the place names are required by my stock agency and several other keywords are very relevant.

Here's my process that I have always done since first using Lightroom. I enter keywords in the keyword panel (you'll see this on right of screenshot here). They are then added to the keyword list. However, it appears that by doing it this way, which I thought was the best/fastest way to add keywords to your images,  there are no boxes to check for exporting, etc. If I Add a keyword using the + sign in the keyword list, I get the dialogue on left in the screenshot that allows me to set up my preferences for exporting, etc., which is what you and others were talking about herein.

It is terribly slow to go down the list to check boxes for adding keywords, I am much faster at typing and letting autofill complete them. So this is a very cumbersome way to get keywords into the image file.

Is there some way to globally mark all keywords for export? I can't find one in preferences or catalog settings or any right click on the keyword area.

ALSO, to make this even more confusing, my laptop does the export perfectly, and I have exactly the same version of lightroom on both computers and I never entered keywords any differently between the two.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Screenshot 2016-01-25 11.41.45.pngBrenda.

• 5. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                  dj_paige Level 9

Use the command Metadata->Export Keywords to create a text file of all of your keywords.

The ones that will not be exported have square brackets around them. use a text editor to remove the square brackets that you don't want, so these keywords will be exported. Then in Lightroom, use the command Metadata->Import Keywords. More detail here: A further look at Keywords within Lightroom - TipSquirrel

• 6. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                    BrendaTharp Level 1

I truly thank you for your knowledge and input on helping me here, but I find this so odd that there is nothing mentioned on Julianne Kosts' tutorials, blogs, etc., nor Laura Shoes', nor two others I looked at - all of them experts in using lightroom. I couldn't find mention of this anywhere except sort of covered in a 2010 blog posting but LR is so different now.

I will look at the link you provided. This is indeed a solution but a very awkward one, (are you listening Lightroom developers?) and at least it should be mentioned prominently somewhere in the tutorials of how to use keywords effectively. Sigh..

And I still don't have an answer as to why it's working just fine exactly set the same way on my Mac laptop, but not on my iMac. So I'll will keep looking for an answer to that question, because it should be identical.

Thanks again, very much, for your answer.

• 7. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                      BrendaTharp Level 1

I will add that upon reading the info in the link from TipSquirrel, it states "(1) using the [ and ] brackets creates a keyword that does not export" - in other words, private keywords, but I have never ever used the brackets when entering a keyword. this begs further investigation on my part.

• 8. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                        dj_paige Level 9

You don't use the brackets when entering a keyword. The brackets only have meaning when you export a text file and then import that text file later after you make changes to the text file.

• 9. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                          BrendaTharp Level 1

Right, I get that. I have some lightroom gurus working on why this changed for me. The only time you get the dialogue box with the choice of exporting a keyword or not is when you use the + sign to add a keyword, and I had never done it that way.  By default all exports are checked when you DO use the + method for adding keywords, but my program/catalog somehow got unchecked for many older keywords... so your advice on how to correct the old ones is great, I just want to make sure this never happens in the future with all the new keywords I add on the fly...

• 10. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                            NaturaLight Level 1

Is this a MAC only process? I don't get that option in windows 10.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Export is not taking all keywords with file
                              dj_paige Level 9

NaturaLight  wrote

Is this a MAC only process? I don't get that option in windows 10.

Thanks

It's not clear to me what you are referring to. This has been a long thread with lots of information.

However, I will say that as far as I know, there are no "Mac Only" functions in Lightroom.