6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2017 1:04 PM by jimd56012156

Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.

Kristine Coco

I'm seeing a weird behavior in Lightoom that I don't know how to fix. Basically, there are photos that are in folders in my Lightoom catalog that don't display in Lightoom.

There are 2 similar but slightly different issues happening.

1. If I look on my Mac HD I see a photo called  "IMG_2408.JPG" but  when I view the same folder in LR (called "2015_11_Thanksgiving")  that photo doesn't display. The HD folder shows 23 files, Lightroom says there is 22. The difference is this one photo. I tried sync'ing and the dialog box said "1 new photo to import" but then when it finished it said "no new photos or videos to import". I have a duplicate of this folder in another folder in LR and I tried moving it. LR errors out saying that it already exists in "2015_11_Thanksgiving". So LR knows the file exists on my HD, but won't display it my LR catalog.

2. Related, I have a 119 photos on my HD in a  folder called "00_misc" - it's where I import all new photos to my LR catalog before I organize and process them. LR is recognizing 6 of them. When I sync the folder it shows 105 photos under "import new photos". It kicks off an import that takes multiple minutes to complete, but doesn't actually add the photos to my folder in my LR catalog. I've also tried the import function - same behavior.

Any ideas on how I can these photos to show up in my catalog?

A couple of notes about my workflow

- I import new photos from my camera or phone via LR to my catalog into the 00_misc photo, which then puts them in the corresponding folder on my HD.

- Once photos are in 00_misc, I will organize and edit them and move them to a new folder (which also updates their location on my HD)

- I rarely put photos into folders directly and then add to LR.  I usually to all moving/organizing via LR.

- I use a Mac Book Air on OS 10.10.5

- I'm on Adobe Photoshop Lightoom CC 2015 2.1 Release

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.
          BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

Sounds as though you have RAW/JPG combinations in you folder. If you wish to import RAW and camera produced JPEGs simply unclick the "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checkbox.

LR Import.jpg

• 2. Re: Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.
            Kristine Coco Level 1

Thanks BKKDon. Unfortunately, that isn't it. I only have JPG images.

• 3. Re: Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Then all those images are already IN the LR catalog someplace.

IMHO you need to Re-Think your importing and organizing system. But hey what do I know.

Best of luck to you.

• 4. Re: Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.
                jimd56012156

Hi Kristine Coco,

I have the same issue as part 1 of your initial question. Have you had a resolution to your issue ?

regards, Jim D

• 5. Re: Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.
                  dj_paige Level 9

If I look on my Mac HD I see a photo called  "IMG_2408.JPG" but  when I view the same folder in LR (called "2015_11_Thanksgiving")  that photo doesn't display. The HD folder shows 23 files, Lightroom says there is 22. The difference is this one photo. I tried sync'ing and the dialog box said "1 new photo to import" but then when it finished it said "no new photos or videos to import". I have a duplicate of this folder in another folder in LR and I tried moving it. LR errors out saying that it already exists in "2015_11_Thanksgiving". So LR knows the file exists on my HD, but won't display it my LR catalog.

You have (accidentally?) imported this file, using the COPY option, into a different folder. You can't move it from the other folder back to the 2015_11_Thanksgiving folder as it is, because there is a copy of the exact same file in the original folder. The solution is provided below.

2. Related, I have a 119 photos on my HD in a  folder called "00_misc" - it's where I import all new photos to my LR catalog before I organize and process them. LR is recognizing 6 of them. When I sync the folder it shows 105 photos under "import new photos". It kicks off an import that takes multiple minutes to complete, but doesn't actually add the photos to my folder in my LR catalog. I've also tried the import function - same behavior.

Again, this behavior happens because the 105 files have previously been imported into Lightroom, using the COPY option, into a different folder in Lightroom. You have to find the photos in Lightroom, and then fix the problem. The solution is provided below.

SOLUTION

Step 1: In your operating system, you should find duplicates of these photos, one in the folder you expect it to be in, and one in a folder where it got (accidentally?) copied into. You can use the search feature in your operating system. Make a note of both folder names. Delete the photo from the folder that you want it to be in; do not delete the photo from the other folder where you don't want it to be.

Step 2: Launch Lightroom. Find the photo in the other folder where you don't want it to be. Now you can drag it into the desired folder without any error messages.

ADVICE

As stated by someone else above, you have created a workflow that causes these problems, and the slightest error will cause these issues. A different, and improved workflow, is recommended. Specifically, all NEW photos in the camera (yes ALL, as in 100%, no exceptions) are imported to the desired folder from the camera card in one Lightroom operation, with the recommendation of using the capture date as the folder name. No putting the photos into a "staging" folder like 00_misc and then moving them later. In fact, the advised workflow includes no moving of photos at all once they come out of the camera, they go directly to the final folder where they are going to reside and are never moved again (EXCEPTION: when you need to move the photos to a new hard disk or new computer, then you should move them, but you still keep them in the same folder name). This "no-move" workflow is not only simpler, but it is less work than the workflow you have, and avoids the possibility of errors like the ones you have experienced, and it avoids the possibility of having a folder with un-imported photos. In addition, the idea of doing organization by folder names as you are doing (e.g. 2015_11_Thanksgiving) seems inefficient and fails to take advantage of Lightroom's strengths, and makes recovery from any errors difficult. You should use keywords and other metadata to organize and search, rather than using detailed folder names like 2015_11_Thanksgiving (there are dozens of benefits of doing this), again improving your workflow and organization.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Lightroom isn't displaying photos that it has in the HD folders and I can't figure out why.
                    jimd56012156 Level 1

dj_page,

There is no way I would have figured out your solution and I have looked everywhere for the answer. Your response fixed my issue so thank you very much. I'll also take on your advice with regards to work flow.

Thank you again,

regards, Jim