7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 9:24 AM by damonroad

missing photo; file x is associated with another photo

damonroad

I have a number of photos that are "missing" in LR. I find the correct location of the photo in LR but when I try to reconnect it I am told that "the file,xxxxxxxxxxxxx, is associated with another photo in the catalog..." I then tried to determine what/where the other file is.

I selected all files and searched using text filter. I find two copies of the image - one "missing" (which is in the folder I suspect it was originally before I moved it into another folder using Explorer (I know [now]) and one apparently not missing (which is in the folder into which I moved the photo. I try to re-link them. Same result - "the file,xxxxxxxxxxxxx, is associated with another photo in the catalog..."

I then assumed that the "missing" photo thumbnail is just a leftover ghost. I try to delete it but when I click "delete" the drop down window just disappears (same with backspace).  I don't think that it matters that the "ghost" is left behind but it offends my sense of propriety.

Do you think that I am correct that the "missing" photo is just a ghost? Does it matter in any way? How can I get rid of it so that I can be at peace? Should I return the actual photo from my exterior hard drive to its original location using Explorer and then move it to where I want it using LR?

I would appreciate any and all help.