10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 5:13 AM by Just Shoot Me

File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?

adrianc57109019

Lightroom was working well until I moved all my files to my Synology NAS, under Photo Station app (so I could view them on my mobile).  However Photo Station decided to change all the file names of my photos and now Lightroom cannot find the originals (the thumbnails are sill there but you can't click through to the file).  Anyone know of an easy fix to this, other than the last resort of deleting the Catalogue and re-indexing?

Tips appreciated!

Thanks - Adrian

• 1. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sure Right click on the folder name and select "Update Folder Location". Then Point it, Browse, to the new location and the new name.

• 2. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
            adrianc57109019 Level 1

I did try that but I think that only works if the folder has moved and not the image filenames being changed

• 3. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?

Copying or even Moving files from a drive connected to a computer to a NAS should not of changed the file names. I have never used one of those Synology NAS boxes or whatever software that is included that you used but changing the file names of any file copied to that NAS should not of happened.

No Way No How should copying or Moving files to a NAS change the file names of those files. That is just ridiculous. Something isn't right.

If you don't find a way to straighten this out you don't have to start a new catalog. You can remove all the images from your present catalog and reimport from the NAS. But doing that will erase all the edits you have done on those images.

Next time you do something like this first COPY the images, don't Move them. Once they are COPIED and you are sure they are all Copied correctly then you Delete the original.

I've been reading about this Photo Station on Synology website and it never mentions renaming files on it's own. So you did something or however you uploaded them to the NAS changed the file names. I do see an option, that can be Unchecked, to "Rename file to Taken Time". That is an option you should of unchecked.

But did you originally Copy/Move your images to the NAS before you Uploaded them into this Photo Station system? If you did then your images should still be on the NAS as they were when you copied or moved them.

• 4. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
                dj_paige Level 9

However Photo Station decided to change all the file names of my photos and now Lightroom cannot find the originals (the thumbnails are sill there but you can't click through to the file)

If you have backups of your photos with the original names (you do have backups, don't you? If not, why not?) then simply copy the backups to the proper folders where the photos were before all of this renaming took place.

If you don't have backups and the names have changed, this has essentially destroyed your Lightroom catalog. You would have to reconnect the photos in Lightroom one by one, by clicking on the exclamation point icon or question mark icon and then pointing Lightroom to the proper photo with the new name. Whether or not you want to do this one by one is up to you. There is no other way that I know of to fix the problem. If you chose to start a new catalog and re-import everything, you lose some or all of your user-supplied metadata. Oh, and do a smart thing from now on and make regular and automated backups of your catalog file and your photos.

• 5. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
                  adrianc57109019 Level 1

I do have a copy of my files plus my photos are on my NAS in a hybrid RAID config (so my images are safe from a disc failure) - but that doesn't of course help where the filename has been amended, just when a hard disc gets corrupted, problem with the copy is it's a few month old to reconciling it with the main library could be time consuming - hence the original question. 

As Just Shoot Me eluded to, I did use the Synology Photo Station image uploader (so Synology could index them for its app Photo Station - allowing remote browsing of photos on a tablet or phone), I expect this has altered the filename (and maybe I overlooked a checkbox about renaming files).  I didn't have much metadata added via Lightroom so I'll rebuild the catalogue file.

Lesson learnt - when you have a Lightroom catalogue be wary of uploaders that offer to upload your library to a NAS!

• 6. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?

It would of been fine if you had read the dialog box that came up and selected the options you wanted before the upload started.

That has been the biggest problem for 99% of all computer users. Not reading the instructions and not making the correct choices for the programs you are using.

We see it everyday on these forums.

• 7. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
                      dj_paige Level 9

do have a copy of my files plus my photos are on my NAS in a hybrid RAID config (so my images are safe from a disc failure) -

You haven't answered my question ... do your backups have the original names?

but that doesn't of course help where the filename has been amended,

If your backups have the original names, then it does help, but we don't know if your backups have the original names. Do they, or do they not?

• 8. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
                        adrianc57109019 Level 1

Agree.  But at the time I didn't see the link between files being renamed and screwing up my Lightroom catalogue.  Perhaps Synology should add a health warning to this option (or have if off by default).

• 9. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?
                          adrianc57109019 Level 1

Not sure you're cut out for 'helping' on this forum.

• 10. Re: File names changes now can't be found in Library - any easy fix?

adrianc57109019 wrote:

Agree.  But at the time I didn't see the link between files being renamed and screwing up my Lightroom catalogue.  Perhaps Synology should add a health warning to this option (or have if off by default).

Anytime an image file is renamed outside of LR it will screw with the LR catalog file. LR is a Database program that References, creates a record of, your images by their File Name and the location of those images, Drive/Folder.

Renaming or moving files around outside of LR will cause LR to lose track of those images.