10 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 7:33 AM by sandcamel

After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve

lukep28

Hello everyone!

As the title suggests, I'm having some serious render time issues between these two packages. After subscribing to PS for years, I recently decided to subscribe to AE because of the plethora of available plugins. After using AE a few times I've noticed that my render times are significantly longer than Resolve (free), so I decided to test both packages out.

I exported a 1000 image tiff16 sequence in both Resolve 12.1 and AE 2015.1 (13.6.1.6). I used the Quicktime wrapper, and DnxHD 1080 175 10 bit codec. Resolve finished rendering in 13 seconds, and AE took 1 minute 22 seconds. A little discrepancy would be okay, but 6 times slower is obviously not good. Especially when it's free vs paid.

As far as my machine specs, I have a dual Xeon setup with 16 cores, 3 NVidia gpus, and 64gb of RAM, running Win8.1. Tried multiple codecs, and various options, and the render times are still incredibly bad.

Any help is much appreciated!

• 1. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not clear what you are asking.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
            ultrastatic

AE is slow but powerful. They're working on the speed issues. What you can do, is download AE 2014, enable multicpu, and try again.

Side question, how far along is the AE team with fixing the speed problems?

edit:

All you did was render a TIFF sequence to another codec right? No effects/compositing? This is not really what AE was made for.

• 3. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
              lukep28 Level 1

Thanks for the input! I will definitely try 2014 with multi-cpu.

Yes, I just rendered out the same TIFF sequence in both. No effects, or compositing. I have noticed though that smaller files are usually not a problem for AE, but the original footage here was CinemaDNGs (converted to Tiff16). Maybe AE wasn't created for outputting clips, but I do work a lot with DNGs and EXRs and if this is the performance overall then I think it's an issue. Especially with just straight output.

• 4. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                lukep28 Level 1

This is an issue concerning output speed. If you have any ideas as to what could be causing slow performance in this particular situation, then please contribute.

• 5. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                  dcfreelancelot Level 2

Apples and oranges.  You're comparing an editing/color-correcting program vs a vfx/compositing/motion-graphics program.  And on top of that, you're comparing their encoding speeds - which neither program touts as their forte.  Makes no sense.

• 6. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's actually quite likely to be an input issue as well as an output issue. Is this TIFF sequence on a local hard drive or a network drive?

AE has some definite I/O issues. The AE team is in the middle of creating the new renderer for AE which is replacing the old (and busted) multiprocessing; that should fix the output part of things. Considering how small the AE team is, I would bet they won't be able to address the input issues until after that's done. I have mentioned stuff like this to the AE team. They are aware of some of the problems. However, it wouldn't hurt for them to get more feedback: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 7. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                      lukep28 Level 1

Thanks for the well thought out response Szalam!

The tiff sequence is on a local raptor drive, so the network doesn't come into play at all. I've noticed that AE doesn't have too much trouble handling smaller size compressed h264 footage, but when it comes to higher bitrate DNxHD or Tiff16, it slows down quite a bit. Once again, thanks for the help, and the suggestions. I will do some more tests tonight.

• 8. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Definitely try it with multiprocessing turned on in CC 2014 and see how that goes.

• 9. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                          lukep28 Level 1

I was able to do some more tests tonight. AE CC 2014 actually took longer with multiprocessing (3 minutes) than AE CC 2015, which was surprising as well. I also tested Premiere, and it clocked in at a bit slower than AE CC 2015 (1:42). I've noticed that once you scrub through the sequence in Resolve, the output is blazingly fast. I'll put in a feature request, like you've mentioned. In the meantime, I'll try to look for a better workflow. Thanks again for your help.

• 10. Re: After Effects renders 6 times slower than Resolve
                            sandcamel

I'd also like to add to Luke's experience here with AE being slower for export.

In my experience in using both Resolve 11 and After Effects CC 2015, the former is undoubtedly leaps and bounds faster in exporting, and I haven't a clue why. Resolve takes advantage of multiprocessing, as on my system with 24 threads, all threads are seeing 100% usage. Exporting an HD DNG sequence to DNxHD will usually export at near 60fps, so for example a 1 minute sequence would only take around 30 seconds to transcode. Now take this scenario to After Effects - the CPUs will barely see above 15% usage and take over 3 minutes to render the same 1 minute clip. Adobe Media Encoder becomes worse, using even less resources and taking even longer.

The same sort of performance difference also occurs when transcoding R3D files. When I work with EXR sequences in AE, it gets pretty painfully slow just to preview, but I guess I expect that when the data rates are so high (~2.3Gb/s).

I do have a system that optimizes for thread count and not for individual thread speed so the difference between Resolve and AE could be exaggerated here. The benefit of multi thread processing is undeniable, so I've become quite confused why Adobe has continuously faltered in this aspect since like AE CS5.