9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 4:38 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements won't recognize video camera

stepheng52969456 Level 1

I have been using premier elements to capture 8mm video from my sony digital camera for years, via a DV to firewire input on my Windows 7 desktop. The only change I can think is that I just upgraded elements from version 10 to 14. Why won't elements recongnize my camera when it is connected and ready to go like I've used it for years?

• 1. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stepheng

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows 7 64 bits

Adobe discontinued the DV and HDV capture firewire in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14/14.1. The last version that has this feature is 12/12.1.

Adobe document that mentions this

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

You can capture firewire using another program and bring the captured clips into Premiere Elements 14/14.1 with 14/14.1's Add Media/Files and Folders.

Other programs that have been mentioned in this matter

Windows

WinDV

Movie Maker

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No PE14 will not recognize your camera as the feature is no longer supported.

Reinstall PE10 and use the program to capture footage.

Once on a internal harddrive you can import it into PE14 by double clicking in the empty space in the Project Assets window and edit as usual.

• 3. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
              A.T. Romano Level 7

stepheng

Did you switch to Premiere Elements 14 because you wanted to take advantage of advanced features or because you had Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card with all the problems that go along with that combination?

As I wrote, if you do revert back to Premiere Elements 10 because it has the DV HDV data capture firewire feature, then I would

You can capture firewire using another program and bring the captured clips into Premiere Elements 14/14.1 with 14/14.1's Add Media/Files and Folders.

I prefer the Add Media/Files and Folders route for importing the captured clips as opposed to alternative routes to get to Add Media dialog. Just assure that the project preset is set correctly.

You can verify that under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General after the import is dragged to the Timeline.

When did you purchase Premiere Elements 14? Did you purchase it from Adobe as download. If so, Adobe does offer a within 14 days of purchase return/refund. Please see

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/return-cancel-or-change-order.html

There is an Adobe contact link for that at the bottom of the document. If you purchased elsewhere then you would be governed by the return/refund policy of the reseller.

Any questions or need clarification on this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
                stepheng52969456 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to use my PE 10 to capture my 2 hr videotape file. Thanks. It amazes me Adobe dropped this functionality. I only upgraded since I have quite a few home videos to archive to digital, not because I was having any trouble, and wanted the most up to date features. 

• 5. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stepheng

Thanks for the update with the great news that Premiere Elements 10 DV and HDV data capture firewire was possible for you. That known Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue is essentially an unbeatable one if you have that situation and cannot roll back the driver version far enough to fix the problem.

Well done in achieving your video goals.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
                    stepheng52969456 Level 1

Thanks for the headsup. I do have dual GTX 570 nVidia graphics cards with a driver version dated 1/18/13 #9.18.13.1103. Can you point me to where I can learn more about this?

Again, thanks!

• 7. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stepheng

Please refer to the following for details of the known Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue. It is specific for that combination.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

Since the fix is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce driver version to May 2013, important to watch for computer with automatic updating of the video card/graphics card.

Please let me know if you need clarification on the above or need supplemental information on this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

stepheng52969456 wrote:

Thanks for the headsup. I do have dual GTX 570 nVidia graphics cards with a driver version dated 1/18/13 #9.18.13.1103. Can you point me to where I can learn more about this?

Again, thanks!

Install the latest driver.

My advice to you do not roll back unless the LATEST driver (dec 2015?) is giving issues.

Nvidia driver issues from 2013 have long been fixed by Nvidia.

Which OS are you using?

• 9. Re: Elements won't recognize video camera
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stepheng

Based on the history of this very specific Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue, I have seen no evidence that NVIDIA or Adobe has addressed this issue.

Reports continue to this day from users with an assortment of computer environments that is a real problem, it exists, and that roll back of the driver version to May 2013 makes possible working with Premiere Elements 10 in a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card.

Consequently, if you decide to update the NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card to the latest version, just make sure that you can revert to the older (working) driver version when necessary.

Very interesting recent first time comment in one of the threads here regarding this type of situation....This user had the problem in the purchased activated Premiere Elements 10, resolved it as mentioned. However this Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue was not seen by this same user in the 10 tryout.

If you do look into this further, please compare the before and after with standard definition as well as high definition video.

The above has and continues to relate to users who are having problems in the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce environment.

Please let us know if you have further questions on this matter.

Thank you.

ATR