2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 11:01 AM by robgendreau

Importing photos from Mac's Photos app into Lightroom CC 2015

jessicad24347461

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate your help.

I want to import photos from PHOTOS (on Mac = Version 1.0.1) into Lightroom CC (2015 release).

I've read around on forums but keep coming up against walls. For example, when I find the folder of photos I want to import in the ''masters' folder, it continues to say what follows in this screenshot. But I'm not sure what other task it is completing?

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 8.22.42 pm.png

I also tried going into 'Plug in extras' and selecting 'Import from iPhoto library' - but when I select photos, this comes up:

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 7.46.38 pm.png

When I go to Plug in Manager, it says that 'Apeture/iPhoto importer' is enabled.

Any other advice? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Importing photos from Mac's Photos app into Lightroom CC 2015
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi jessicad

I want to import in the ''masters' folder, it continues to say what follows in this screenshot

You first need to import a copy of  the "Masters" folder.This is a read/write protected folder so need to duplicate it first then only Lightroom can read it.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Importing photos from Mac's Photos app into Lightroom CC 2015
            robgendreau Level 3

First, you are using Lr's import plugin, and that does NOT work with Apple's Photos application. It works with iPhoto and Aperture.

Second, 20160103-054847 is an alias. Not a real folder. And it is being used by something, maybe Photos. Was Photos open when you tried to import? It looks like the end of a path like /Users/you/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/2015/05/27/20150527-175908, right? inside the Photos Library package?

I don't understand Akash's advice quite, but it seems like you are using an alias to access the innards of the Photos Library. This can be very dangerous, and the fact you're having trouble already causes me concern. You change something in either program and BOTH could have problems.

I think Akash is suggestion that instead of using aliases to actually mess with the innards of the library, that you COPY that masters folder out to say your Pictures folder. That's essentially what the Lr importer for Aperture/iPhoto does. You get duplicates, but it's much much safer. AFTER you copy it you import it into Lr. It's structure would look like this:

Voila_Capture 2016-01-25_10-59-25_AM.png

Those are dates: May 27, 2015 for example.