2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 2:21 AM by Peter Spier

Strange lines and Indesign Crashes when I import a word document

photo_brush

I'm building a white paper for a client, and the copy they've provided me is formatted in a word document. Rather than reformatting 36 pages of copy manually, I'm trying to place the document to pull formatting over so I can just make minor corrections and streamline the build. Unfortunately, Indesign doesn't like something about this word doc and I can't figure out what. I place the document using CMD+D and hold shift when I place it so that it flows the entire document into multiple pages & all that works fine as it normally does...but for some reason with this document 2 major things are going wrong & I can't figure out how to fix them.

1. There are thick horizontal lines across all the pages and I can't figure out where they're coming from. Here's a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.14.59 AM.png

2. When I try to edit it, as soon as I'm in the type tool, Indesign immediately shuts down and generates a crash report.

I need to figure out what's causing this and correct it, because the alternative is to manually reflow a 36 page document into Indesign manually with a whole lot of formatting I don't have the time to address manually. Can anybody help?