23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 1:17 PM by Kevin-Monahan

BSOD with Premiere Pro

bene32031357

I keep getting BSOD when opening Premiere Pro as well as Photoshop (the apps I've tried and use most).

I had an Asus N56V with a Nvidia 750M graphics card.  I was using a cracked version and it was working fine until I got the BSOD saying kernel_security_check_failure. I was told to get a legit copy to help solve this. I bought a legit copy of Adobe CC. Still the same problem on Windows 10 (legit copy). I had my local computer shop take a look at it. They reinstalled Windows 8 and tried it again. Still the same problem. They tested and put in new sticks of RAM. Same problem. New CPU. Same problem. They suggested it could be the motherboard has gone and it was too pricey to replace and suggested I get a new laptop.

I get a new laptop. A Dell Inspiron 15 7559 with 960M graphics card. I installed Adobe CC, installed updates, made sure everything is updated on my PC including drivers for everything. And the same thing happens. BSOD upon seeing the Premiere logo. Same thing with Photoshop although on the previous laptop, sometimes I was able to open Premiere but then it'd freeze and not respond. Once or twice I did manage to load up a project and then have it blue screen on me. These BSOD are seemingly random when they occur. I have not tried again on the new laptop as I see it as fruitless.

Overall, I am not happy as this has hindered my ability to complete university work as I was using the software over the Christmas period and had to go back early to try and finish work as I couldn't do anything on my laptop. This meant spending time away from family and spending more money to either try and get it fixed or changing my train ticket to get back earlier.

Adobe customer support were some of the worst I've seen and entirely not helpful. If anyone has any ideas of what to do? I'd like to know, otherwise I am deeply disappointed in Adobe, the software I have purchased and their quality of support. I was told they don't even have a complaints department. I will not be recommending the software to anyone I know and will avoid it in the future if nothing is resolved.

Thanks for reading

[Moved to Hardware forum by mod]

• 1. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bene32031357 wrote:

I bought a legit copy of Adobe CC.

Where?  You can't buy CC.  You can only subscribe.

• 2. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
            bene32031357 Level 1

Okay, I subscribed but you get what I mean

• 3. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
              mchlbrln Level 2

wow, a cracked version, really? Next time maybe don`t start your question with that, nobody likes to hear about being robbed from a customer;-)

BSOD is a huge subject. I had also problems with it, but luckily got everything working thanks to BIOS drivers update. I think it`s normally a hardware related problem.

You can download some free programs which can help you find the cause of the problem.

• 4. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                bene32031357 Level 1

"wow, a cracked version, really?"

At least I'm honest

"You can download some free programs which can help you find the cause of the problem."

As stated I did take it to my local computer shop to see if they could find the problem. They determined that it was the motherboard initially but after it's happening on my new one, they suggested it's something to do with Adobe. When they were testing, he said he rolled back the drivers on the GPU and yet again, no such luck. But as a customer, I don't think this should be happening as I'm basically paying for software I can't use

• 6. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro

bene32031357 wrote:

Okay, I subscribed but you get what I mean

The reason I asked is that there are snake oil salesmen out there "selling" illegal versions of CC and was making sure that you didn't get hit by malware infested, fake CC.

• 7. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                    bene32031357 Level 1

"

BSOD shutdowns http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1427408?tstart=0 (may be due to hardware problems???)

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/01/13/computer-shuts-down-with-premiere-pro-or-af ter-effects/"

"

No it's nothing to do with cooling as it doesn't even start up on the new laptop and I can run an intensive game like GTA 5 with high settings and not get any problems. And it's not the power consumption as the GPU is built for the laptop. It'd be silly of the manufacturer to put in a GPU that the power supply can't handle.

"

The reason I asked is that there are snake oil salesmen out there "selling" illegal versions of CC and was making sure that you didn't get hit by malware infested, fake CC.

"

Oh okay, didn't think of that. But no, I subscribed to the monthly CC from the Adobe website

• 8. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                      JFPhoton Level 3

...upon receiving you new laptop......did you transfer anything over to it from the old problematic machine  ?   If NOT, it sure sounds RIDICULOUS that opening either Adobe program would ALSO cause a "BSOD" on a new and different machine... have you visited any bad websites that could inject trojans ,or, viruses ? Download and run the free "malwarebytes" program to see.

An i5 CPU is NOT recommended for use with PPro by the way....hyperthreaded  i7 a definite minimum....also, a 5400 rpm spinning hard drive is USELESS for video editing, much tooo slow. 16 GB system memory is "ok" for current vesions of PPro,but, 24 or 32 WAY better in a laptop.... the ONE thing that is good, is your GPU, PLENTY powerful for those programs

Your machine is HANDICAPPED for starters, but, these issues STILL don't explain a BSOD on starting those programs.

If ALL other programs run normally, at safe temperatures, with NEVER a BSOD....and ONLY opening Adobe programs  causes a BSOD, either your Adobe programs have been corrupted,or, a file, or files, that you bring IN to Adobe programs are corrupted. This does NOT sound like a hardware issue......unless the BSOD appeared at any OTHER time when NOT trying to use Adobe programs. The ONLY things that should be on your "C" drive,or that 128GB SSD "boot" drive, should be Operating system, programs, and Windows page file. Be aware that 128GB vrsions of SSDs do NOT perform as well as 256GB versions and higher...esp. at write speeds......yours will top out at 190MB/sec write vs. 370 on the 256GB version.. For video editing especially, with your CURRENT NEW MACHINE, you would want to SHITCAN the 5400 RPM drive and replace it with a fast SSD...at least a Crucial MX200 series model,or, the best in class Samsung 850 Pro, ( NOT EVO) model. Any other SSDs are not recommended. The included 5400RPM HDD is a "bottleneck" and IS far tooo slow for ANY kind of video editing....take it out and use it in a dock as a backup,or, "archive" drive.

If I were you and was serious about using PPro, I would get rid of this new machine and get a better equipped laptop......an Asus gaming rig that you can buy "refurbished" is sometimes a good deal...that's what I did and saved 50% of the original price. Then, I upgraded it myself. It runs flawlessly. You need a CPU that is an i7 4700 HQ or BETTER.....4 cores WITH hyperthreading. Your CURRENT NVidia, ( only) GPU of 960m or BETTER....the 4 GB of video memory is great, go NO lower on that. Try to get a machine that has at LEAST 24 GB of system memory,or, one that has ACCESSIBLE slots where you can upgrade the memory to 32 GB yourself.

If the machine runs normally at ALL other times you use it....with NO problems....then you MUST scan for viruses,or, a trojan which is capable of causing a BSOD.  Usual causes of BSOD are : GPU overheating, memory not seated or installed correctly,or, wrong type used, CPU overheating,(esp. via wrong overclock settings), corrupted Windows file, and a bad BIOS,or, BIOS settings.

Make sure you have the latest and current driver for your GPU from the NVidia website,or, the" GeForce Experience" program. Make sure that your Windows 10 is fully updated to the current time. Make sure that your SSD has at LEAST 10% unused space.....overfilling it can cause problems. M.2 drives CAN overheat....make sure your SSD is NOT overheating !!

Make sure you are PLUGGED IN when trying Adobe programs......despite whatever you set in "power settings", the machine will THROTTLE SEVERELY when on battery....you cannot video edit unless plugged in. Make sure that your "power settings" are MAXXED OUT and ALL set to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE when "plugged in"  I was NOT aware that the default power settings on my laptop were THROTTLING my CPU and GPU when I first was using it, causing problems running PPro.  Once settings were changed to Max performance, everything was fine.

Your case sounds BIZARRE....I'm guessing a corrupted video file,or, media file has been passed to your new machine and has  unleashed a virus,or, trojan to cause havok.

• 9. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                        bene32031357 Level 1

"...upon receiving you new laptop......did you transfer anything over to it from the old problematic machine"

No and no to your question about going on bad websites. First thing I downloaded was Adobe CC and it happened.

"An i5 CPU is NOT recommended for use with PPro by the way....hyperthreaded  i7 a definite minimum....also, a 5400 rpm spinning hard drive is USELESS for video editing, much tooo slow. 16 GB system memory is "ok" for current vesions of PPro,but, 24 or 32 WAY better in a laptop.... the ONE thing that is good, is your GPU, PLENTY powerful for those programs"

I don't know where you're getting your specs from but the laptop has an i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor. Although the laptop hard drive is 5200 rpm, it is a hybrid drive. And putting 24 or 32gb of ram in a laptop seems excessive and I've never seen anyone have that much. Either way, this shouldn't have any issue with the laptop.

"either your Adobe programs have been corrupted,or, a file, or files, that you bring IN to Adobe programs are corrupted. "

I'm not bringing any files into Adobe. It was explained in my post. And it seems strange that the adobe programs are corrupting when I just click install and download them from the creative cloud.

" The ONLY things that should be on your "C" drive,or that 128GB SSD "boot" drive, should be Operating system, programs, and Windows page file. Be aware that 128GB vrsions of SSDs do NOT perform as well as 256GB versions and higher...esp. at write speeds......yours will top out at 190MB/sec write vs. 370 on the 256GB version.. For video editing especially, with your CURRENT NEW MACHINE, you would want to SHITCAN the 5400 RPM drive and replace it with a fast SSD...at least a Crucial MX200 series model,or, the best in class Samsung 850 Pro, ( NOT EVO) model. Any other SSDs are not recommended. The included 5400RPM HDD is a "bottleneck" and IS far tooo slow for ANY kind of video editing....take it out and use it in a dock as a backup,or, "archive" drive."

Can you please stop having a go at my hard drive? I know I was happily editing away on my previous laptop with a similar drive. Yes it was slower than an SSD but again, not something that should cause a BSOD.

"..then you MUST scan for viruses,or, a trojan which is capable of causing a BSOD"

Scanned. And nothing. Downloaded Adobe first so in theory there should be no viruses at all. And again, this was proven again by a virus scan.

"Make sure you have the latest and current driver for your GPU from the NVidia website,or, the" GeForce Experience" program. Make sure that your Windows 10 is fully updated to the current time. "

Done and done.

"Make sure you are PLUGGED IN when trying Adobe programs......despite whatever you set in "power settings", the machine will THROTTLE SEVERELY when on battery....you cannot video edit unless plugged in. Make sure that your "power settings" are MAXXED OUT and ALL set to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE when "plugged in"  I was NOT aware that the default power settings on my laptop were THROTTLING my CPU and GPU when I first was using it, causing problems running PPro.  Once settings were changed to Max performance, everything was fine."

I did do it with it plugged in but I will give checking the maximum performance and see if it changes anything. Although I'm skepticall

• 10. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                          Although the laptop hard drive is 5200 rpm, it is a hybrid drive

I know it has nothing to do with your BSOD, but that is like having a partitioned drive, which is terrible for Premiere Pro performance.

• 11. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                            bene32031357 Level 1

Update: I have tried changing the power performance as JFPhoton recommended. It seems to load up Premiere Pro now but trying to change a setting when opening a new project causes it to become unresponsive as well as automatically clicking create project. It stays stuck on the same screen and has basically crashed. So a new problem now, but this happened on my old laptop and then the BSOD did come back.

Photoshop has loaded up with no problems yet it seems but I'll hold my breathe.

Also I'll look into the whether it is like a partitioned drive Peru Bob

• 12. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro

Scroll down and read the articles here:

Tweakers Page

They might be of interest.

• 13. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you only have problems with adobe software, check other threads for solutions:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kernel_security_check_failure+site%3Aforums.adobe.com

are you running the adobe software as admin? you can right click the shortcut and choose that.

if you aren't sure that its only adobe software related, you can check system stability with stress test programs like prime95, check memory with memtest86, and check temps with coretemp.

if you get the bsod outside of adobe software, search and try fixes for general causes of the bsod

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kernel_security_check_failure

• 14. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                  JFPhoton Level 3

...first of all, I am speaking to you as a person who didn't have enough knowledge when I began with PPro and I ended up making BAD decisions buying hardware based on what Adobe listed as their " minimum requirements" needed to run Premiere Pro.  I then became aware of this forum and learned from the experienced veterans and experts here, like Bill Gehrke and Harm Millard what REALLY was the " minimum requirements" to actually run these professional programs smoothly on a computer !!

I am speaking to you from experience and as someone who HAS a laptop that works smoothly with PPro.

The search on your laptop model  and its review came up with the i5 CPU.....I'm glad you DO have the much more powerful 6700HQ which is BETTER than mine !

Regarding system memory : 16 GB used to be fine for PPro, and still is for most instances, HOWEVER, recent versions of PPro CC have IMPROVED the use of system memory, especially with 4K. That means PPro will apply MORE memory in certain cases. I have seen my laptop use over 20 GB while editing ,or, rendering complex timelines with multiple video tracks of 1080p and effects. I was able to self - upgrade my laptop to "only" 24GB from 8GB because 2 of the 4 slots were inaccessible, and it has made a HUGE difference in performance. If you have access to your memory slots, it is WORTH adding additional memory up to 32 GB if you can...ESPECIALLY if you use After Effects which uses ALL available memory.

So, your GPU AND CPU are MUCH better than mine....that is great news ! Your GPU should be capable of churning through 4K like butter !

If I had your machine, i would start by making sure  only the OS, programs, and Windows page file are on that 128 GB M.2 SSD boot drive. You CAN put the media cache and cache files from PPro there also. Bill Gehrke has done extensive testing and found that those particular files do NOT need to be on the fastest drive.....he puts them on his boot drive SSD.

ALL OTHER FILES should go on your second drive, ( i.e, all media files, exports, previews, and project files.)  That drive MUST be a quality SSD !!!.....the performance would be bad enough if it were a 7200 rpm HDD, but, a 5400 rpm drive for use in video editing WILL NOT PERFORM !!!  That slow HDD could be part of your problem...you MUST replace it !! Get a 500 GB Samsung 850 Pro, or, even a 1TB version, if you can afford it.....it is WELL WORTH IT !!

A 5400 RPM spinning HDD in YOUR machine is like putting a LAWN MOWER ENGINE into a FERRARI !!!

Your machine should really fly with PPro.....you also have a hi res 4K display and high speed external connection ports.

The BSODs are USUALLY related to some kind of hardware issue.......although a few years ago I was getting them due to corruption of the Windows OS, when I tried to clone my existing OS onto a new SSD......something did not go right....I eventually cloned it again until it worked.

Download any monitoring app that will let you see the real time temperatures of your main components in action. M.2 SSDs DO have a history of overheating....make sure yours isn't.

Learn EXACTLY what drive options you may have in your machine. Do you have TWO 2.5inch HDD bays AND an M.2 SATA slot ??  Or, do you have MORE than one usable M.2 slot and only ONE 2.5inch HDD bay ?  If your machine would be capable, the IDEAL configuration for great performance would be to have TWO SSDs in a RAID 0 as a storage drive containing ALL files EXCEPT OS,programs, and page file. Then, ONE SSD would serve as your "C" drive for booting WITH just the os, programs and page file on it.

The general recommendation for using PPro is to DISABLE "indexing" on all your drives to improve performance.

ALSO, in PPro you must ASSIGN  under preferences the amount of memory to be used by PPro and how much is to be left for "other programs". The IDEAL amount for Premiere Pro is to have a minimum of 3GB per core. That means in your case 12 GB would be assigned for PPro and 4GB left for other programs.....make sure this setting is correct.

Change out that crappy hard drive !!!....the rest of your laptop is great !!      Then test it on the PPBM7 website run by Bill Gehrke....GOOD LUCK!!

• 15. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                    bene32031357 Level 1

"

Tweakers Page

"

Didn't help my predicament

"

if you only have problems with adobe software, check other threads for solutions:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kernel_security_check_failure+site%3Aforums.adobe.com

are you running the adobe software as admin? you can right click the shortcut and choose that.

"

Yes, it's only Adobe software, thought I made it clear in my original post but apparently not. Yes, running as admin.

"first of all, I am speaking to you as a person ...Then test it on the PPBM7 website run by Bill Gehrke....GOOD LUCK!!"

Yeah, thanks for the advice, not exactly what I was looking for as it doesn't help solve my problem besides telling me get a new hard drive which I can't as I've already dropped a ton of money on the laptop to begin with so maybe later down the line.

Update on what's happening as of last night:

I tried installing Adobe After Effects to see if that was the same. Again, same BSOD. I tried this morning looking from the duck duck search engine thing and tried setting my GPU specifically to use the Nvidia 960M and not the Intel integrated gfx. Did it work? I got further. I managed to open up a new project and import one image and then when I tried to put it on the timeline, it crashed and became unresponsive. Great news! (Again, for something I'm paying for, I'm not very happy and I was told they don't even have a complaints department)

I then tried deleting gpusniffer from the Adobe after effects support files as some have said that fixed it. That did nothing. Although I didn't BSOD, it did just freeze and become unresponsive upon seeing the after effects logo screen.

• 16. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro

bene32031357 wrote:

"

Tweakers Page

"

Didn't help my predicament

Yes, I know.  I was just making that information available to you so that when you do get your BSOD fixed, you will have an idea of what kind of tuning you may want to do.

• 17. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro

when you read thru the threads, sometimes there are other solutions besides the one marked correct. did you read and try these from the search results?

some are reporting the latest nvidia driver is causing it, and using an older driver before dec 2015 fixed it, or disabling the nvidia card.

another person posted a hotfix driver that addresses the issue with photoshop and illustrator, and perhaps other adobe apps. GeForce HotFix driver 361.60

another had to change the nvidia control panel, Preferred graphics processor for high-performance processor-> NVIDIA, which is probably the same as disabling the intel.

• 18. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                          bene32031357 Level 1

"Yes, I know.  I was just making that information available to you so that when you do get your BSOD fixed, you will have an idea of what kind of tuning you may want to do."

Thanks I'll have a look.

"when you read thru the threads, sometimes there are other solutions besides the one marked correct. did you read and try these from the search results?

some are reporting the latest nvidia driver is causing it, and using an older driver before dec 2015 fixed it, or disabling the nvidia card.

another person posted a hotfix driver that addresses the issue with photoshop and illustrator, and perhaps other adobe apps.GeForce HotFix driver 361.60

another had to change the nvidia control panel, Preferred graphics processor for high-performance processor-> NVIDIA, which is probably the same as disabling the intel."

I gave these a go and 2 seemed to have worked. The hotfix driver did not but rolling it back to the 19th of November did and going into the nvidia settings control panel and making it so the Intel integrated graphics opened it up seemed to work. I made sure to run as admin on testing as well.

I am currently able to open up a new project, import an image and apply effects. I was just testing this to see what I can do as I don't have much media on this laptop but it seems to be stable and working.

However, I am shockingly appalled at Adobe and not addressing this issue themselves and their customer support being as helpful and useful as being a Jew in 1940s Germany.

Thanks to RoninEdits for finding the solution(s).

• 19. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                            JFPhoton Level 3

.....you are an arrogant brat. You are lucky that anyone here will even talk to you.

Go ahead....KEEP your 5400rpm HDD for ALL your video projects....it will run JUST FINE !!!

Don't bother testing your machine at PPBM7........it is NOT important to know how your machine is performing compared to others.......it is better just to ACCEPT whatever performance I have the way it is NOW !!

Don't listen to people that are experienced with using laptops and PPro.......I KNOW BETTER than them !!!!

Ahhhh.......I don't NEED to know about how my laptop switches between the "integrated graphics"  on the CPU and the discreet NVidia GPU when under load....DO I ???

• 20. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you email me your mini-dump logs in the Windows directory under the Minidump folder, I can tell you what is causing or triggering the BSOD's which btw sounds like a Security software that is stopping a network service Premiere is likely using for Dynamic link or a player.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro

hey eric, i guess you didn't read the whole thread (can't blame ya), but it appears to be fixed. the latest nvidia mobile graphics driver appears to be at fault. there are several workarounds on the photoshop threads, including installing older nvidia drivers to fix it. there is a hotfix, GeForce HotFix driver 361.60, but it didn't work for OP of this thread. im not sure how many nvidia chips the driver bug affects, but thought you might want to know in case you start seeing problems with laptops ADK sells.

• 22. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I missed that part. I skimmed through most of the OP posts and was just replying with how to isolate BSOD events. Thanks for the heads up.

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: BSOD with Premiere Pro
                                                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hey Ronin,

I just saw this post, thanks for your help here. I noticed that the latest NVIDIA driver caused worse performance on my PC, which has the older Quadro 4000 installed. I found that reverting the driver to an older one solved that issue. I blogged about the issue some time ago, but it looks like the issue is starting to rear its head a little more frequently.

I will keep my eye on the larger issue of those crashing with those using newer drivers w/ older GPUs.

Thanks,
                                                    Kevin