2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 1:35 AM by lizziesh4rp

Previous/Next Page Number is showing as the current page number

lizziesh4rp

I'm trying to number pages with the Previous Page Number then Current Page Number so that is shows 002-003 but for some reason they're both appearing as the current number, so 003-003. The same happens if I try to insert the Next Page Number.

I have this set up in the master page of a document made last March and it works fine - when I add new pages they are automatically numbered correctly. However, in any new document, or if I add a new text box to my old document, the Previous Page Number shows as the Current Page Number.

Any idea what's causing this? I am running the most recent InDesign on a Mac with OSX 10.11.12. My co-worker is having the same problem on his Windows PC.

I'm just waiting to start a Chat with Technical Support so I will post the results.

• 1. Re: Previous/Next Page Number is showing as the current page number
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Previous and Next page number shows only the previous or next page number from a threaded frame to other pages.

It is used this way:

1. Have a story across several pages.
          2. Make another text frame at the end or at the beginning area of the text frame. This text frame must not be threaded but must touch a threaded text frame.
          3. Write in that text frame something like “Text continues on page <Next Page Number>” and this will show allways the next page number, where the reader has to follow on. On interactive PDFs the reader can click on the number to jump to that page.

Your purpose would not apply. Sorry. That's not what it was made for.

• 2. Re: Previous/Next Page Number is showing as the current page number
            lizziesh4rp Level 1

Hi Willi

Thanks for your reply, we're both halfway there, it's not just for jump lines...

I just checked my old document and there was an empty text frame hidden under something else on the previous page that is linked to the frame on the facing page which holds the page numbers. I needed to insert a Page Break at the beginning of the first text box to force the numbers onto the next page. Now my second text box shows the previous and current page numbers.

Problem solved!