7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 3:00 PM by A.T. Romano

How to upload a photo?

bonniecreevy

I am testing out the trial oh premier elements. I am able to put a video clip in the timeline but not a .jpg photo. The error message just says "The Importer reported a generic error."

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How to upload a photo?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bonniecreevy

What computer operating system is involved with your Premiere Elements 14 tryout? Have you updated 14 to 14.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Photo questions....

a. jpeg, tiff, psd, or other

b. 8 or 16 bit

c. color profile

d. prior edits of the the import into Premiere Elements

Please consider, and supply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to upload a photo?
            bonniecreevy Level 1

Windows 7

Yes it is 14.1, when I try to go to any help topic other than the forums, the url is broken/does not work

Photo questions....

a. jpeg, tiff, psd, or other    (.jpg)

b. 8 or 16 bit  (32 bit)

c. color profile  (CMYK)

d. prior edits of the the import into Premiere Elements  (edited in photoshop CC)

• 3. Re: How to upload a photo?
              bonniecreevy Level 1

Note: When I look in PS it is actually 8 bit. Im not sure why the image properties tells me otherwise. Does it need to be RGB?

• 4. Re: How to upload a photo?
                bonniecreevy Level 1

Converting to RGB and 16 bit did the trick.

I am familiar with PS but not premier (which is why I wanted the elements version). I am trying out but I must admit I am hesitant to purchase if I can't even get online support. When I looked all I could find was .jpg is a supported format but nothing about the color profile. It's a little frustrating though I thank you for your response here.

• 5. Re: How to upload a photo?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bonniecreevy

Thanks for the reply.

Great job in resolving the issue with the changes in the photo properties.

I asked about the CMYK color profile since that is not supported by Premiere Elements. The following work spoke to some of these "still images will not import" issues

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: July 2015

That work was done through 13/13.1. I have not verified  that the results for 13/13.1 apply to 14/14.1. I believe they do, but needs to be verified.

Did you know that, provided you had the appropriate Camera Raw version installed, you can import raw image format and dng as source media into the Premiere Elements project?

The key factor appears to be change to RGB. Was it CMYK before that or something else?

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: How to upload a photo?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All still images no mater what extension they are need to be RGB.

CMYK is not supported in any version of PE.

On a side note:

uploading means you put a file/image or whatever from you computer to the internet.

Getting a file/image into your editing software is called importing or ingesting.

• 7. Re: How to upload a photo?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bonniecreevy

Add on to my post 5......

The following Adobe document on "Adobe Premiere Elements Help/Guidelines for adding files" may be of interest

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Guidelines for adding files

It may be a guideline for importing files into Premiere Elements. But, if any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR