2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 1:09 PM by Newsgroup_User

New Fireworks, old problem

Level 7
      Hi,

My issue returns like phoenix with every new version of Fireworks. Old
      Fireworks MX had very important and useful functionality which I would like
      to use as a webdesigner. It seems that I am probably alone with this issue
      if nobody else reports it on this forum. Very often I need to create
      multistate graphic objects. For example it can be icon of folder
      with/without document inside, it can be opened and closed, it can have
      padloc item on it or not etc. Number of states is unpredictable for each
      icon in the project. It seems to be typical task in most of projects but
      still seems to be unsolved issue by Fireworks or I can't see it.

Fireworks MX allowed to declare on slice level which frames will be expored.
      When I created e.g. 3 slices: first with 10 frames active, second with 2
      frames active, third with 1 frame active then 13 pictures was created during
      exporting. In current version of FW number of files = number of slices *
      number of frames (states in CS4) = 3*10 = 30 which means 17 unneeded files.
      I can't declare "don't export this state for this slice" and I have to
      receive this rubbish files.

1. I tried to spread the states of icon out pages but in this case it is
      very difficult keep the same position and size of slices for this icon on
      each page when redesigning it and operation on slices shape is required. It
      could be workaround but not solution.

2. I can't place the slice on master page because in this case also pages
      which without icon state will be exported as well and I get rubbish files
      again.

3. Button symbols are great solution for cases of up to 4 states of icon
      only...

4. I gave up... and now each of state of icon I create on one page, each
      state of icon as a separate slice instead of one slice with multistate icon.
      Icons with number of states <= 4 (e.g. rollovers) I convert to buttons where
      I can decide how many states is able to export in each symbol independently.

I don't know how to solve this typical issue. How do you manage with this in
      yours projects? Are you using workarounds or is there solution?

--
      Best regards,
      Marek

• 1. Re: New Fireworks, old problem
          Joyce J. Evans Erb Level 1
          If you want to export certain slices then select just the one/s you want, right click "Export selected Slice" works for multiple as well. You will see an option to export current states and current page. If you want all states and/or pages then unselect. Note that States is a new Panel name which replaced Frames

Joyce J. Evans Erb
          http://www.JoyceJEvans.com
          http://www.Tutorials2Go.com

Web Page in a Day! CD training now available at http://www.joycejevans.com

• 2. Re: New Fireworks, old problem
            Level 7
            > If you want to export certain slices then select just the one/s you want,
            > right
            > click "Export selected Slice" works for multiple as well. You will see an
            > option to export current states and current page. If you want all states
            > and/or
            > pages then unselect. Note that States is a new Panel name which replaced
            > Frames

Ok, but for typical project: if your page contains 10 states and 10 slices
            and you expect to receive all states for slice 1 and states 1-5 for slice 2
            and only first state for rest of the slices, how to achieve it? I would
            expect to use one command "export" for export all slices with different
            number of states for each. Notice that after month break in work I will not
            remember that first slice consist of 10 states and another has only 5 active
            states. I expect that Fireworks should remember it.