5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 7:39 PM by A.T. Romano

PE14 crashes after loading a project

TMetzinger

After recent upgrade to PE14 (and latest update), I tried to open an old project from PE 11.  No issues, and I once I redefined the folders where the media files were stored, I saved the project under a new name as a PE14 project.

Now, whenever I try to open that project in PE14, it crashes immediately after opening the project file. 

I can still open the PE11 file (and tell the system where to find the media files).

OS is Windows 10, up to date.

• 1. Re: PE14 crashes after loading a project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tmetzinger

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 10 (assumed 64 bit)

After you have saved closed a project, you should not move, delete, "redefine", or rename files and folders that were imported into the project. When you import the originals into the project, all you get are copies of the originals at their hard drive save location. But, the project copies need to trace back to the originals (with original names) where they are saved on the hard drive.

Consideration s here seem to be:

a. Opening an earlier project file in a later version of the program

b. "Redefining" source media to create source media-project file disconnects.

Just be careful...once you edit a project file from an earlier version in a later version, you cannot go back and edit the later version edit in the earlier version again.

Work with a copy of the 11 project file as a safety net.

I would suggest you consider

1. Finish 11 project in 11 and start new projects in 14

or

2. Try to get 11's project file and its source media reunited, make a copy of that project file, and try to open the 11 project file copy in Premiere Elements 14/14.1.

Beware of the "redefining". Plan ahead of time.

Please consider, supply more details as necessary, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE14 crashes after loading a project
            TMetzinger Level 1

The problem isn't that anything was changed AFTER saving the project in PE14.  Here are the steps:

Restore PE11 files from archives

Open PE11 file in PE14.  

PE14 asks where to find certain media files - I browse to the proper directory.

PE14 now has the project open correctly, and I can do work - make edits, etc.

Save the project under PE14.

Try and reopen the project in PE14  (no moves or redefining anything).

PE14 opens the project file and then immediately crashes.

I note that PE11 used an XML format for the project file.  PE14 apparently doesn't

• 3. Re: PE14 crashes after loading a project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TMetzinger

If you archived your 11 project with the Project Archiver/Copy Project option, then you should have had a Copied Folder that contained a copy of the 11 project file (.prel) and copies of its source media.  The 11 project's scratch disks would be pointed to 11 locations when the 11 project was archived. When you opened the Copied Folder's 11 project file in 14, your project file now in 14 would be tracing back to the copies of the source media in the 11's Copied Folder, not the originals on the hard drive that were connected to the 11 project.

Consequently, I am not seeing why you were asked for the following

PE14 asks where to find certain media files - I browse to the proper directory.

What were the asked for files, and were they absent from the Copied Folder right after the 11 project was archived using the Copy Project option?

The focus has been on the opening of an 11 project to 14. But, you believe that at the time of the 14 crash you were beyond those considerations since

a. 11 project opened in 14

b. you did edit, saved closed 14 project without issue.

It was in trying to reopen this 14 edited project that problem struck.

1. What were the edits that you applied to the project in 14? To what degree did you extend the size and complexity of the 14 Timeline content?

2. Did you have to deal with any features and/or effects that were available 11 but not 14?

Please consider.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE14 crashes after loading a project
                TMetzinger Level 1

You assume I archived my project using 11.  I didn't.  I archived the project by taking the folders with all the material and moving them from online to nearline storage.  Then moved them back.

Never mind - this is pointless.  I got the job done.  What I might try is to recreate the project in PE14 by starting from scratch and bringing in the media files directly.  That will tell me whether it's the size of the project (3 hours) or just that I didn't archive the project correctly.

• 5. Re: PE14 crashes after loading a project
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

TMetzinger

Thanks for the update and further details of what you did (archiving-wise) and what you plan to do.

I think your moving forward plan is a good one and consistent with what I mention previously

The focus has been on the opening of an 11 project to 14. But, you believe that at the time of the 14 crash you were beyond those considerations since

a. 11 project opened in 14

b. you did edit, saved closed 14 project without issue.

It was in trying to reopen this 14 edited project that problem struck.

The planned rebuilding of the project in 14 from scratch should reveal the factors leading to the 14 project crashes related to 11 as you described previously.

Best wishes. As your schedule permits, please let us know the outcome.

ATR