8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2016 4:44 AM by dj_paige

Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened

RogerPavelle

This happens every time I import photos from my SD card.  I can import and process the photos with no problems, but when I close Lightroom and later reopen it, the new photos are no longer visible (and the folders they were in have disappeared as well).  I can get the photos back by synchronizing the parent folder, but any modifications I've made to the file are lost.  It makes no difference if I synchronize the folder before closing Lightroom the first time.

How can I get things to save properly the first time.

• 1. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi RogerPavelle,

Please create new catalog and try importing files to it(Test your workflow), Close the Lightroom and reopen it and see if that helps.

Also let us know your Lightroom Version.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened
            RogerPavelle Level 1

I am using Lightroom CC (2015).

How do you create a new catalog?  I don't see that option.  I've always just imported into folders (always a new folder since I organize based on date).

• 3. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened

Open Lightroom >> Go to File Menu >> New Catalog and it create a new blank catalog in Lightroom.

You can do some import few images and try your workflow.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 4. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened
                RogerPavelle Level 1

OK.  I created the new catalog and was able to import the same photos into it.

However, now I don't see any of my other photos (from the other catalog)

• 5. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened

Yes, because you have your old Images in the previous catalog which you can access anytime once you open that catalog file.

The reason why we created a new catalog to check if there is issue with catalog file or your workflow. Please try some more things in new catalog and check if its working fine.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 6. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened
                    RogerPavelle Level 1

Copying files to the catalog did not have any problems.

However, I just tried importing to a subfolder (same way I normally do) and the same problem occurred.  I then repeated this attempt (using a different days photos) and the second day's photos show up, but the first day's still didn't show up/needed to synchronize the folder to see them.

The was one difference between these two attempts.  For the first one (the one that didn't work), I didn't have Lightroom open when I inserted the source (in this case, a USB), so Lightroom opened in the Import dialog.  The second one (the one that worked correctly) had Lightroom already open so I had to click the Import button to open the dialog.  The former is what I usually do.

• 7. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened
                      PruneauBE

@I have exactly the same thing: Lightroom CC 2015, imported 500 pictures yesterday because I needed my fastest cards for today, I just opened Lightroom to start flagging pics that go in the collection (the good ones, so to say) and my photos were gone.

They are on the HD, so the import worked, but not in the Lightroom catalog, so I have to reimport them, only this time from the HD rather than the SD card.  Happens often, but not always, might have to do with whether Lightroom is open or not when I initiate the import.

Weird that this clearly still open question has not been handled further.

Hope there has been any news on this...

Rudy

(Creative Cloud Member)

• 8. Re: Import disappears when Lightroom is reopened
                        dj_paige Level 9

RogerPavelle wrote:

This happens every time I import photos from my SD card. I can import and process the photos with no problems, but when I close Lightroom and later reopen it, the new photos are no longer visible (and the folders they were in have disappeared as well). I can get the photos back by synchronizing the parent folder, but any modifications I've made to the file are lost. It makes no difference if I synchronize the folder before closing Lightroom the first time.

How can I get things to save properly the first time.

RogerPavelle and PruneauBE

You are probably opening the wrong catalog. This could easily happen if you have set Lightroom to automatically opens when the SD card is inserted, and then later you are opening Lightroom by double-clicking on the Lightroom icon. Go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog listed there to see if one of them shows the photos and folders of interest.

1 person found this helpful