8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 1:27 PM by A.T. Romano

how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?

rbw11733274

Can anyone advise me on how to remove the space which occurs by default in front of the first clip added to the timeline? I assume I need to alter a default, but I cannot find it. Thanks

• 1. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rbw

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system? What workspace are you working in Timeline/Sceneline or Expert/Quick (depending on what version you have).

Please clarify with jpeg screenshot what space?

Are you referring to Preroll/Postroll settings?

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Preroll and Postroll Options Interpreted

Please consider and give details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
            rbw11733274 Level 1

Hi ATRomano. I am using Premiere Elements 14. I am a novice. I am in Expert view.

When the first clip is added to the timeline, it always leaves a blank space of about 10 secs in front of the first clip  I know how to remove this in the individual project, but I would like to change the default so that it does not occur in future.

• 3. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rbw

Thanks for the reply.

If you right click anywhere in a blank area of the Timeline, in the menu that appears, is the Snap option enabled? If not, please enable it.

Out of curiosity, when you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, what are the settings for Preroll and Postroll there...2 and 2?

How are you adding the first clip to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the beginning of the Timeline. When you drag file 1 to the beginning of the Timeline, what does the timecode below the monitor show...

00:00;10;00 or something else, instead of 00;00;00;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames)?

What is your computer operating system?

If Windows and none of the above considerations apply, then delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (preferences/setting file)

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 14.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given. Then reopen Premiere Elements and determine if the problem still exists.

Please consider, and then we will decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
                rbw11733274 Level 1

Hi ATRomano,

Thanks for trying to be so helpful.  I must confess that I asked the question the wrong way round, as I thought it might be easier.

In trying to learn PE, I have been watching tutorials on YouTube. I came across one which said the default space in front of first clip was a nuisance, so he described how to change the default.  It only took a few clicks, which I did.  So right now I don't have a problem. However I have a friend who is learning PE with me, and I cannot remember how it is done in order to show him.

I cannot find the original YouTube tutorial, nor can I remember how it was done.  So what I need is advice to point me to the default setting for the blank space in front of the first clip.

(this long explanation is to explain why my settings will not help, since all is OK on my pc)

If you could tell me how to change default to create a blank space at front of first clip it may be easier.

I am beginning to think it is something to do with the playhead, but I am not sure.

Snap is checked.

Preroll and Postroll show 2 and 2.

I drag from Project assets.

Hope this helps.

Thanks 

• 5. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rbw

Did you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as mentioned in post 3 of your thread? That is supposed to reset the preferences. Did it have any effect on what you are describing?

Again, are you saying that you drag the file from Project Assets to the Timeline with your mouse cursor and the project will not allow you to place the file at the exact beginning of the Timeline 00;00;00;00. It only allows you to have the file starting 10 seconds in at 00;00;10;00?

Still thinking about this one. Please let me know if the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs deletion worked for you. I gave you the full route. It used to be that this  also can be done as a shortcut, but I have found that harder to execute.

To be continued....

ATR

• 6. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
                    rbw11733274 Level 1

Hi ATRomano,

Thanks for your trouble.  I've spent far to much of your time and mine on this very small problem.  I am no further forward, but it is not worth pursuing.

I think we should drop this case.  For your information, the answer to your question,

"Again, are you saying that you drag the file from Project Assets to the Timeline with your mouse cursor and the project will not allow you to place the file at the exact beginning of the Timeline 00;00;00;00. It only allows you to have the file starting 10 seconds in at 00;00;10;00?" is YES.

Also, I use Windows 7, and I have deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, with no change.

I will leave it for now.  I shall see my friend next Monday, and I'll compare the setting on our two computers to see if I can find the difference.

Thanks again for your efforts.

• 7. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rbw

Thanks for taking the time to update your situation.

Your plan sounds good. As your schedule permits, please update us on the outcome.

The following Adobe document on adding clips to the Timeline might be a guide to recalling the option and solution that you found previously.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: how do I change default space at beginning of timeline?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

rbw

I was just looking at your thread and my post 7...Oops. I forgot to include the Adobe link that I mentioned. Sorry about that. This is the "missing link"

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Arranging clips in the Expert view timeline

Arranging document seems to address what you might be seeking rather than Adding document, but let us see.

I will try to find some others.

ATR