i've been using various Areca controllers in my editing stations last 4-5 years with great results.
now, upgrading a build (Asus P9x79 WS) i'm setting up a new Areca 1883ix X16 with 8gb RAM and 12 disks.
After running some benchmark in HD tune Pro, diskMark or Anvil, i have very strange results in this configuration:
Array 1 - Port 1 (Cache): SSD x 2 in Raid 0 > 1000 MB/s As expected
Array 2 - Port 2&3 (Media): SSD x 6 in Raid 3 > 1200 MB/s WTF !? Should be 5x500> 2500 MB/s
Array 3 - Port 4 (Library): HDD x 4 in Raid 3 > 450 MB/s As expected
So obviously something is wrong with the Array 2. I went into great lengths to troubleshoot and find the cause.
- double checked every single SSDs for error, no problem.
- swapped evry single SSDs in various racks to check connections, no problem.
Now , i created various arrays within the same Ports 2&3, various settings, switching the disks....
here is what i find every single time:
- 2 SSD in Raid 0 > 1000 MB/s
- 3 SSD in Raid 0 > 1500 MB/s
- 4 SSD in Raid 0 > 2000 MB/s
- 5 SSD in Raid 0 > 1200 MB/s
- 6 SSD in Raid 0 > 1200 MB/s
- 6 SSD in Raid 30 > 1200 MB/s
so obviously, something is going wrong if i create an array with more than 4 disks....that is very strange indeed.
i never had such problem problem before, but it is the first time i use SSDs for a big array. (Samsung 850 Evo 500gb)
Anyone has any idea ? I can't find anything on this issue anywere...
Any help would be much appreciated !