20 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 1:18 PM by Szalam

RAM PREVIEW ruined

gary_odd_ny

Dear Adobe, I have been using AE since 1995 when I was taught it by COSA the inventors, before it was bought by Adobe. I taught AE at Parsons and SVA for 5 years. I have been using it professionally on a daily basis for 20 years. I have always been a big supporter and enjoyed its evolution over the years. However I could not be less happy with the RAM preview change for CC. There was nothing wrong with it before. I dislike this RAM situation to the degree where I must force my studio to continue using CS6. Have you gotten any other negative feedback on this? Will you consider changing it back to the way it has always been? This is the first time I have ever felt strongly enough about anything regarding AE to speak up about it. Would appreciate a response. Many thanks, Gary Breslin

• 1. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have good news: You don't have to go all the way back to CS6!

You can install any version of AE from CS6 onward through the Creative Cloud app. So you could go to CC 2014's latest update (which is AE version 13.2) and have a lot of the enhancements (like copy with property links, improved caching behavior, etc.) that came out since version 11 and still use the old style of RAM preview. At my home studio, I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all on the same machine and they're all working just fine. They don't interfere with one another at all.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the new previewing system that was introduced in CC 2015. It's a big change! Have you tried the latest update to it? I have found that 13.6.1 works pretty smoothly for me and it fixed a lot of the issues other folks were having too.

I will take issue, however, with your statement that the old RAM preview was fine. It WAS fine, but it is not fine anymore. It did not take advantage of modern processor technology. Sure, multiprocessing would use multiple cores, but that thing was buggy and the wrong expression or an incompatible effect in your project would render it useless. There were too many times when I was sitting there rendering on one core with 11 cores sitting there idle! After Effects was in desperate need of a new internal architecture.

I think the big issue you, I, and most folks have had with CC 2015 is that it isn't the full new solution. It's only part of the new system. According to the After Effects team, they are working on a new rendering system that will make use of multiple threads. If AE could finally harness the power of our workstations, think how much more productive we could all be! If you'll notice, the new architecture is partly in place in CC 2015. As a quick example, grab an effect like Mir or Tao that renders some 3d geometry and plop it in your scene. Throw a few lights around it in your scene. Play with it a bit until you get a slightly slow-to-render object. Now, add a camera in AE, grab the camera tool, and orbit that puppy around. Your UI should be quite smooth. You should be able to position your camera by watching the position of the lights without having to wait for Mir or Tao or whatever to render. The first time I was working like that, I literally smiled with how much quicker it was to interact.

Another huge improvement in CC 2015 is expressions. As a quick example, create a couple of layers and tie their positions to a null object's position with expressions. Then delete that null object. Notice how you no longer have to click through a stream of expression error boxes before you can get back to work? Then press Undo. Notice how the expressions automatically get re-enabled? It wasn't like this in CC 2014 and earlier. Imagine if you had 40 layers all tied to one controller object and that controller object was accidentally precomposed or deleted - if you had just one expression on each layer that was 40 error boxes to click "OK" on and 40 expressions you had to manually re-enable. SO MUCH TIME SAVED with CC 2015!

So, interactive performance has been SIGNIFICANTLY improved in CC 2015. Rendering, for some projects, is slower. That means that RAM previewing for some projects will be slower too. It won't help much while previewing, but for final render the AE team has suggested  that if your project would benefit from multiprocessing, you can just open the same project in CC 2014 for your final render- even if you created it in CC 2015. I tried that and it works quite nicely. There are no issues taking project files between the two versions. You don't even have to do any crazy save-as business!

If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to read through this post: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 . It explains some of the new functionality and reasoning behind the change. (If you do read that, I'd recommend also looking at this page which explains the small yet significant changes made it previews in 13.6: what’s new and changed in the After Effects CC 2015 (13.6) update ) This page is also a useful read, it mentions the things missing in CC 2015 and explains why and paints a bit of a picture of the road ahead: features not available in After Effects CC 2015

I hope those links help. It may take a bit of time to read them, but considering how much of our work life is spent using AE, I figure it's worth the time to go through it.

Now, I've talked about how the new previewing architecture has benefited me even though it's incomplete. But you are very clear that it's not working nicely for you. What, specifically, are you having an issue with? I love it, but you don't, so there's likely something very different between your experience and mine. I'd like to help you try to figure out what it is and see if there's a way to make it work better for you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Gary,

Dear Adobe, I have been using AE since 1995 when I was taught it by COSA the inventors, before it was bought by Adobe. I taught AE at Parsons and SVA for 5 years. I have been using it professionally on a daily basis for 20 years. I have always been a big supporter and enjoyed its evolution over the years.

Thanks for your support!

However I could not be less happy with the RAM preview change for CC.

To start with, it's no longer called "RAM Preview." It's just called "Preview" now. Preview is part of the performance enhancement "overhaul" that was overwhelmingly called for by our own users. Performance enhancement has been the focus for the team over the past year or more and will continue to be its focus as we improve it based on customer feedback.

That customer feedback is invaluable as we have used it to improve performance and the operability of Preview, specificially.

There was nothing wrong with it before.

There was that one wrinkle: you had to wait for the frames to cache before being able to view your animation or effect. With Preview, that is often not necessary. Preview also has a lot more customizability over RAM Preview. Being familiar with that functionality is pretty important to working with Preview. This blog post may help with that: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

Also, see the Help docs: Preview without rendering in After Effects

I dislike this RAM situation to the degree where I must force my studio to continue using CS6.

I do understand that feeling of unfamiliarity. Are you fully familiar with Preview and all that it can do and have you tested all the functions as laid out in the blog and in the Help docs? After reviewing those, you might not dislike it as much as you can customize it to get the same look and feel (or similar) that you are used to working with.

Have you gotten any other negative feedback on this?

We have. However, rather than sit back, we've made positive changes based on feedback from customers. That's why the current version is improved over the version we released back in July.

Will you consider changing it back to the way it has always been?

I don't make those decisions as I am in support so I can't answer that definitively. My assumption would be that After Effects will continue to evolve to provide better performance and stability for both new and experienced users. So, no, I don't think they will be considering that to be honest. Sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Would appreciate a response.

I hope it's put things into perspective. If you still feel strongly about this situation, please file a bug report with all your concerns.

Thank you,

Kevin

• 3. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Thanks for your assistance and for adding much more detail about performance enhancements than I.

Cheers,
              Kevin

• 4. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

Thanks for your assistance and for adding much more detail about performance enhancements than I.

You're welcome. I just really like the direction AE is headed (more focus on user's production needs, speed, usability etc.), the new version works really well for me, and I want to help others have as good an experience as I've had.

• 5. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                  gary_odd_ny Level 1

Thank you both Szalam and Kevin, really appreciate your time and thoughtfulness.

As it turns out, what was really driving my crazy was that the spacebar wasn't stopping with a single click.

I updated it, and now this problem is solved.

I know, a small thing, but my workflow has always been to use spacebar to cache through frames as I am working on them in the more immediate process and then hitting ram preview when I am ready.

In any case, I am happy now!

very best,

- Gary

• 6. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                    gary_odd_ny Level 1

Thank you Kevin, I replied above. I am all good now.

• 7. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

That spacebar triple-tap thing was a real annoyance for many folks! Glad Adobe fixed it. And I'm glad you're up, running, and happy!

• 8. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                        hyzentlay

Hello, I still have no idea how to check previous version of AE while I bought the newest.

My problem is - during trial period (December 2015) everything was totally ok.

After I bought a license in January, I never had a "fluent" RAM Preview. It's about 0,4 frame per second, looking very awkward. Totally uncomfortable.  I think I wouldn't have paid for such product :O

It seems to be everything ok with my graphic card drivers. I can write down the specifications.

• 9. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                          hyzentlay Level 1

It is Intel(R) core(tm) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60 GhZ

16 gb

nvidia geforce gtx 960M

3840x2160 of resolution

• 10. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

What exact version of AE are you running? 13.7.x fixed a lot of the issues people were having with AE.

What OS are you using?

If you want to try CC 2014, here are instructions for downloading older versions.

• 11. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                              hyzentlay Level 1

I am using Windows 10

I am not sure about the version now (I cant check cause my system is reinstalled at this moment),

but I presume it was the newest update (release?) when I bought it on 2nd January 2016

I tried to use that instructions from this link yesterday, I failed (It might be caused by "glitch" during my transaction) I will check again tomorrow

• 12. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

When you get your system back, make sure you are running AE version 13.7.1.

• 13. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                                  hyzentlay Level 1

it's 13.7.1.6

• 14. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

Now that your computer is "reinstalled", do things behave?

• 15. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                                      hyzentlay Level 1

it still the same. looks tragically

• 16. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                                        hyzentlay Level 1

but - I still didnt solve this problem with broken transaction (payment glitch) but probably it cant be a reason

• 17. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                                          hyzentlay Level 1

and I totally have no idea who can "repair it" now

• 18. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

Contact Adobe Support.

• 19. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined
                                              hyzentlay Level 1

I am trying, since yesterday, totally frustrated cause each time I choose after effect/trouble shooting (and stuff like that) - it turns out there's no way to contact only via forum

• 20. Re: RAM PREVIEW ruined

Depending on the country in which you live, you should have chat and/or phone support options. Since your initial issue is with your Creative Cloud payment, I would suggest going to support for that first.