0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 3:38 AM by matthew stuart

Placeholder text baseline is shifting when edited

matthew stuart Level 2

I have an issue where placeholder text is shifting when edited. Visually the text when opened in a new template is as I expect it to be, but when I click in it and enter replacement text, the baseline of the text shifts downwards so much that it becomes over matter.

This issue has arisen because I have been using Roboto (a Google font), however, for some reason my version of Roboto was noticed to be slightly different to that which has been used in the supplied template. I had Roboto installed from ages ago, and when I opened the template I received no warning from suitcase or InDesign stating that a font was missing, so I carried on. 200 files later, my client has just said the font is different... and it is!

Odd that I received no missing font warning, so I switched the suitcase font off (actually quit suitcase), installed the correct Roboto font (received from the client) in to my Apple Mac Font Book application and that's where my problems started. Editing shifts or pushes the text down within the text box for this font family and causes over matter. This is a problem because I have already created 200 documents with the incorrect version of Roboto, so I don't want to have to resize and reposition half-a-dozen text boxes for each of the 200 documents.

What is really strange is that when I send back InDesign files to the client and they open the document, the text looks as it should, but as soon as they edit the text it shifts for them too. This is strange because they were the ones who set up the template and gave me the correct/desired fonts that I am now using.

Why is the text shifting/pushing down? It's as though the X height has changed between the client sending me the file, me editing it and them then receiving what I've edited. You can see the marked jump in the screenshot indicated by the orange boxes. Even text on a path (bottom sample) has an unusual space above it. I've also supplied a screenshot of the setting for the text in the properties panel which shows nothing unusual.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as to why this is happening, and sorry if you feel this is too long, but I don't know how else to concisely explain it.

Many thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.15.09.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 10.54.45.png