6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 10:40 AM by józsefk22870756

PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen

józsefk22870756

Hi everyone,

I have problem with quality of my inserted photos, even the titles itselves on menue screen in DVD mode. I tried, if maight be a disc issue.  Burned into folder. The same: resolution is very poor. In case of burning AVCHD disc, I used HD menue presets too,  the quality is god. But this disk playable only BD player. Could someone help me, what should I do for a good quality of menue screen in standard DVD burning. Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jozefk

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Is your issue only in the quality of the disc menus that you have applied to your project destined for burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? What is the quality of the playback of the movie content - putting aside the difference in resolution between the standard/standard widescreen (DVD) versus high definition resolution (AVCHD)?

What specific disc menu theme are you using?

If you have a high definition project preset, whether you burn to DVD or AVCHD, you should be presented with the HD version of the menu in the theme selection. What happens if you select the same HD version theme for DVD and AVCHD?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jozsefk

Add On to post 1....

Just a point of clarification....the Adobe movie menus exist on the hard drive with 2 or 3 versions for the major file (.psd). Which one of those 2 or 3 that the project uses and lets you select is based on the project preset selected by you (manually) or the project (automatically). Even with a high definition project preset, in some cases the project offers only 2 choice (s and w and not hd). In your question, I am assuming that

a. you have a high definition project preset

and

b. when you went to the burn to involving DVD or AVCHD, that the same movie theme with the HD designation was selected by you in each case.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen
              józsefk22870756 Level 1

Hi ATR, thanks for your answare. My (long, detailed) answare to you has lost when I tried to attach these videos illustrate my problem. What is very interesting to me, that Menu STD video, as I play from YouTube shown better, than in its original VIDEO TS format. (Previously I had to convert it to Mpeg Wide, for the sake of YouTube)

My Os is Win7, PE 12 (20130921.main.567661)

Menu presets are not on my HDD. I choose them from PE, and they loaded trough the Net.

The two attached video came from the same HD preseted project. Menu preset itself (it is HD) the same too.

Thank you for your help Regards, Jozsef

• 4. Re: PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jozsefk

Thanks for the screenshots. I have started from the beginning with this and the more questions I ask the more questions come up.

Here is where I am now.

1. Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Windows 7 64 bit

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 to get to Expert workspace Tools Menu/Movie Menu and theme display which would include Broadway theme with only the HD choice. HD choices uses .psd files 1440 x 1080 frame size.

2. Timeline with 16:9 source burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen with Broadway HD menu and AVCHD on DVD with Broadway HD menu.

Note: It was verified with the Notepad document of this project file that the project was using the HD psd file for this theme.

After the burn to, I open the disc of each and read the properties of the menu (used MediaInfo).

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc - MPEG2.vob 720 x 480 @ 29.97 frames per second - display aspect ratio of 2.25:1 - bitrate VBR 6205 Kbps (kilobits per second).

I had to look up what that display aspect ratio was and found 16:9, 4:3 or 2.35:1 - What is the best screen format?

AVCHD on DVD disc - AVC format with Codec ID 27.m2ts on DVD disc 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (Top Field First) - display aspect ratio 16:9 - bitrate constant 6000 Kbps.

On the basis of the resolution of the menu on the disc, I would have expected better resolution for menu and movie with the AVCHD DVD burn to. But the quality of the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc menu and movie were quite good.

DVD-VIDEO Widescreen DVD disc - Scene Selection

Untitled-1.jpg

DVD-VIDEO Widescreen DVD disc - Main Menu

Untitled-2.jpg

These were screenshot from DVD disc playback with CyberLink computer player.

Please consider. We can discuss this further in the morning. But, I will be at the computer for about another hour if you would like to comment in the next hour.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen
                  józsefk22870756 Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you for the detailed description. I put it into my case. I have made many version of project & burning to get closer the real understanding of problem.

Basicly: I'm in Hungary, here the official video standard is PAL.

1., I made your test in PAL environment: AVCHD project, video file 1440x1080i/25fps, Menu: Entertainment HD. Burned into folder.

Result: the same bad quality of menü performance (What I'v sent to you earlier).

2. I burned to folder the same (PAL setup) project as an NTSC (you can select it in the final window of burning)

Result: Almost good! Good resolution, sharp edges of titles, and graphics, but an interesting 'wawing" up-down. I said, ok PAL movie, NTSC burning, different things I mixed, it may occurs a special interference between the two standard.

After that I made many of tests: NTSC project, burning as NTSC , burning as PAL.

The result was always the same: NTSC burning: good, but waving. PAL burning: bad.

3. Then I decided to check it out pure NTSC material. I haven't got video in NTSC, so I used only a photo. I put one on the timeline.

I made all the variations again with that photo instead of video.

Result: the same as above.

4. Then I checked out, what would happen, if I inserted my own photo into the Menu (using the same photo as video). I reduced the background menu layers to small rectangulars, this way I got my own menu.

Results: The same. PAL - burned versions were bad, NTSC - burned ones are good, but waving.

To show it to you I attached a link to menu video, and an another to the "video" itself (what is actually a "5 sec long" photo).

Conclusion: If I didn't some mistake, my PAL burning process is the reason of the quality problem. May I made a basic setup mistake originally, when I installed the PE12, or something isn't work well in that sector of my copy of PE12. Would you so kind make a PAL test project. The result of it, maight be help us. Thank you for your help in advance. Jozsef

• 6. Re: PE12 bad quality of photos, titles on DVD menue screen
                    józsefk22870756 Level 1

Dear ATR, The mentioned two links: Regards, Jozsef