8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 7:52 AM by A.T. Romano

Keeping the audio running but changing the visual

patrickmk

Hi.

I interviewed someone with an SLR camera and uploaded the footage to Premiere Elements. So there is the visual and the audio of them talking.

The clip is about 1 minute long.

I want to keep the audio running for the whole time and put some still pictures on top of the visual for some of the interview.

So for example you will see the person talking then about 5 seconds in there will be a still picture of something else but you can still hear them talking, then it will go back to seeing the person talk for about 20 seconds, then there will be another still picture whilst you can still hear them talking, then it will go back to seeing the person talking for the last 20 seconds or so and then the clip will end.

I think this is easy to do as it's quite a common feature on internet videos but I have no idea how to do it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
          A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickmk

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

I think that you are talking about the PiP effects (Picture in Picture) which are found in the Effects/Presets/PiPs 25 or 40% of a program/project.

I can give you more specific information and actual examples when more details from you with regard to Premiere Elements version.

Please check out the following Adobe document to determine if we are targeting what you seek.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/creating-picture-in-picture-overlay.html

To be continued

ATR

• 2. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
            patrickmk Level 1

hi. Thanks it's the latest version (14) on Windows computer.

• 3. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
              A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickmk

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting information.

I have not had time to create a sample video of this effect to post on YouTube for you to see...but try this and let me know how these basic steps work for you. With those PiP effects 25% and 40%, you can customize them to different scale % and move them around in position....some come as slide in, spin in, lots of possibilities. This test run in just for PiP UR 40%

1. Import your main video and put it on Expert workspace Video 1/Audio 1.

2. Import the video that you want to be an insert into the main video, and place it on Video 2/Audio 2, directly above the main video on Video 1/Audio 1.

Then, at the bottom of the workspace, go to fx Effects/Video/Presets/

40% PiPs

40% UR and then select

PiP 40% UR

3. You should now have your insert video at the top right of the main video.

Explore and experiment with the others which as "motion" PiPs for the spin in or out, slide in or out, etc. You can change the scale by clicking on the insert's bounding box on screen or go into Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded for more control for Position, Scale, and Rotation.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does not matter which Elements version you are using or OS.

This is a basic editing technique and all it requires is inserts.

Put your interview on video1/audio1 and the inserts (your stills) on video 2 at the desired time in the timeline.

Set the stills to the desired duration in the timeline.

• 5. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickmk

The version of Premiere Elements version is important to giving how to details. Principles tend to stay the same from version to version, but features do not always. And, Premiere Elements Mac does not always have all the features that Premiere Elements Windows Mac has. Good to get those details out of the way at the onset.

Also the PiPs effect will support video as well as stills in the PiPs feature which offers additional automatic effects for the insert.

Instead of using the PiP effects, you can scale your video 2 content (video or audio) - click on the monitor to bring up the image bounding box, scale by dragging on one of the bounding box handles, and position the scaled image with the mouse cursor. The presets offer perks to some automatic keyframing for your consideration for more elaborate effect.

The reply was intended to give you a broader overview for you to explore and experiment with.

Thank you for considering the suggestions.

ATR

• 6. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
                    patrickmk Level 1

Hi. Thanks! I've done that put the pic I've interested isn't big enough and you can see the video to the left and right (see below). The file is quite big - it's a professional one from Shutterstock. How do you get it to cover the whole screen? Thanks.

screen print pic too small.jpg

• 7. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just scale it up till it fits.

This is a professional still so you want to use its full resolution.

So first uncheck Scale to Frame Size (right click on the still in the timeline and select Clip)

After unchecking Scale to Frame Size the still will look zoomed in.

No worries.

Select the still in the timeline and go to Applied Effects (right top corner)

Twirl down Motion and tweak the Scale slider.

You might also need to adjust the position to get the correct composition of the still.

• 8. Re: Keeping the audio running but changing the visual
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickmk

Click on the image in the monitor to bring up the images bound box. Then drag on a handle of the bounding box to scale the image to fit the space in the monitor entirely.Capture.JPG

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 bounding box has different characteristics than prior versions. Sometimes it is not easy to see the handles on the bounding box.

A quick way might be to select the clip on Video 2, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded, and work with Scale property there.

Also explore clicking and dragging image in monitor space using mouse cursor for positioning.Can you just move the image to the left with the mouse cursor to fill the space without creating a space to the right?

ATR