5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 9:19 AM by kathrynv68890560

Tranferring files within LR FROM external drive to TO internal drive

kathrynv68890560

I successfully merged two catalogs into a single catalog on my new computer. Unfortunately, I had already started importing photos into LR before transferring my old catalog. I now have a catalog that shows files on my local drive and also on the old computer's back up drive. When I try within LR, to move the folder/images from the backup to the local in the library window, it copies the folder - visible only in finder, not LR - but it does not copy any of the files. When I try again, I get a message saying the folder already exists, even though it is not visible in the library. Even after rebooting LR and the computer, the folder does not show up in the catalog. Importing will accomplish the copying over of files, but I lose all the edits. That is not acceptable. I have permissions for read/write for all folders in Mac OS - so it isn't a permissions issue.

Screenshot 2016-01-27 11.32.42.png

Screenshot 2016-01-27 11.29.36.png

• 1. Re: Tranferring files within LR FROM external drive to TO internal drive
          dj_paige Level 9

I think the message about "already exists" refers to the Finder.

Nevertheless, you now need to determine if the photos exist in two locations in your Mac Finder: do they exist on the internal drive and also on the backup.

You also need to determine where Lightroom thinks these photos are, does Lightroom think the photos are on the bakcup disk or on the internal drive.

Once you have answered these questions, I think we might be able to figure out a path forward.

As you have stated, do NOT import and do NOT try to synchronize the folders involved, this will only make things worse.

• 2. Re: Tranferring files within LR FROM external drive to TO internal drive
            kathrynv68890560 Level 1

The photos only exist in one location in Mac Finder: The folders exist both on local and external ( the empty folders on the local were created when I was trying to move the parent folder:2015 to the local within the library. I can easily trash these if necessary.

Lightroom only sees the images on the backup disk.

• 3. Re: Tranferring files within LR FROM external drive to TO internal drive
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Launch Finder and go to the folder “Coble Press Conference” on your external drive. Press Cmd+A select all and drag the files to the folder “Coble Press Conference” in Pictures or wherever you put it. That will copy the files.

Then go to the LR Library and under the external drive right-click (control-click) on the folder “Coble Press Conference” and choose Update Folder Location. Navigate to the new location in Pictures and select it.

LR will update the photo links. The folder will disappear from the external drive and will be shown in the LR Library under the internal drive.

You can then delete the folder on your external drive or keep the folder/photos as a backup e.g. outside of LR.

• 4. Re: Tranferring files within LR FROM external drive to TO internal drive
                dj_paige Level 9
                The photos only exist in one location in Mac Finder: The folders exist both on local and external ( the empty folders on the local were created when I was trying to move the parent folder:2015 to the local within the library. I can easily trash these if necessary.

Lightroom only sees the images on the backup disk.

Just so I'm 100% clear on this matter, when you say the photos only exist in one location, is that location the backup disk or the internal disk? If it is the backup disk, do the photos exist in the same folder that Lightroom thinks they are in?

• 5. Re: Tranferring files within LR FROM external drive to TO internal drive
                  kathrynv68890560 Level 1

This worked! I did this with two folders to be sure and success! I could not find this answer anywhere, so I'm glad it's now in the database. Thank you!