3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 11:46 AM by Brad Lawryk

Adobe Stock watermarks not removed after licenseing images in the Library.

Media Mike

I added several images to my Premiere Pro CC (2015) project.  The client likes the edit, so I went back to license the images to remove the watermarks. The images licenses in my library just as it should and my monthly image count reduces by one.  However, the image in my project still has the watermark.  Only way I am able to remove it is to add the newly licensed version tot eh project, replace the footage and then delete the original water-marked image.  I thought once I licensed the image in the library my projects were supposed to automatically update?  Do I have to take this manual step for every image I have used in my project or am i missing an easy "replace or update" button somewhere?

• 1. Re: Adobe Stock watermarks not removed after licenseing images in the Library.
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you edit the image such as cropping then yes you will have to add the image again. If any changes you made to the image were non-destructive such as adding a layer mask or resizing in Photoshop for example, then it will take without having to do anything.

I Am not a regular Premiere user but if it works the same as other the other ones you need to make sure that it is linked the image in your library. Right click on it in your layers and use the link to library image if it has lost the link.

• 2. Re: Adobe Stock watermarks not removed after licenseing images in the Library.
            Media Mike Level 1

Thank you for the reply Brad!  I really appreciate that I wasn't doing something "wrong".  Helps my sanity! That is so unfortunate as most clients want to see the project as it will be without watermarks, so its normal to key out a white background and crop an image to fit a video composition and or make color corrections for a client.

I have found the following work around for others looking to solve this issue in their own Premiere Pro CC (2015) projects:

1. Ensure when you add an image to your Project from the Library, it goes to your project's folder.
              1. You can set this via FILE | PROJECT SETTINGS | SCRATCH DISKS. Look for the CC Libraries Downloads entry and change it to "same as project"
                1. This will create a "CC Libraries Downloads" folder in your project folder. When you add images/videos to your project, it will save them here.
            2. In your Premiere Pro Library window, you can then add watermarked images to your project by Ctrl or right clicking the desired image and selecting Add to Project.
            3. The watermarked image/video will be added to your Project window in Premiere Pro and to the folder within your Project folder and can be added to your editing sequence(s)/timeline(s).

NOTE: Here is the tricky part.  In the Adobe training videos, they say all you have to do is then license the image in the Library and the watermarked images will automatically update in your project, however, what they don't say is that if you directly modify the image (i.e. Keying a color, color correction, etc.) it will no longer auto-erase the watermark once licensed. (According to Brad Lawryk, you could potentially do all these things using an adjustment layer and then a license move would auto-update your unmodified original image/video (I have not thoroughly tested this yet). If you didn't use an adjustment layer, I have found two solutions to update your images to the new non-watermarked version.

SOLUTION ONE: Delete the original (Watermarked) image in your Project Folder and REPLACE it through the PPRO CC Library Window and then allow PPro to relink to the non-watermarked image/video

1. These steps assume you have not changed the original watermarked file's name for example, let's say the original watermarked image you used saved to your PPro bin named "park bench". Assuming you also set the project to save added images/videos to your project hard drive as mentioned above. If you changed the original image/video name, the following instructions will not work.
            2. Open your PPro project with the watermarked images.
            3. Using Finder on a MAC or Windows Explorer, find the image or video that was originally saved in the cc libraries downloads folder when you added the watermarked version and DELETE it from your CC Libraries Download folder on your project hard drive.
              1. This will result in a missing/unlinked image/video in your Premiere Pro Project window.
            4. In Premiere Pro, use the Library to Add the now licensed image to the project.
              • This will result in a duplicate image in your Project panel and a new copy of the non-watermarked image/video in your CC Libraries Downloads folder.
                • If the original image/video was called "park bench" you will now have an new one called "park bench_1" or something similar if added to the same project bin as the first image in PPro.
                  • The original image "park bench" will still be the active one in the project sequence however and may now be listed as unlinked.
                • On your project Hard Drive in the CC Library Download folder, you will have a new image or video called "park bench"
                  • If you did not delete the original in step 3, then it may be listed as "park bench_1" as well and the rest of these steps will not work.
            5. In your PPro Project window, select the new "park bench_1" that you added (this is the licensed one without the watermark) and DELETE it.
            6. Now, SAVE and CLOSE your Premiere Pro Project.
            7. Reopen your PPro project
              • PPro will now go and look for the original image/video name in the CC Library Downloads folder and poof, every instance of "park bench will magically be replaced in your project with the new non-watermarked image/video.
                • PPro may give you a message saying something has changed in that asset, but it should allow you to reload it or link it and you will be good to go.

SOLUTION TWO: Use the REPLACE WITH CLIP function in PPro

1. Open your PPro project with the watermarked images.
            2. In Premiere Pro, use the Library to ADD the now licensed image to the project.
              1. This will result in a duplicate image in your Project panel and a new copy of the non-watermarked image/video in your CC Libraries Downloads folder.
                1. If the original image/video was called "park bench" you will now have an new one called "park bench_1" or something similar if added to the same project bin as the first image in PPro.
                  1. The original image "park bench" will still be the active one in the project sequence.
                2. On your project Hard Drive in the CC Library Download folder, you will have a new image or video called "park bench_1" or similar as well since neither the Project hard drive or the PPro project itself likes to have two of the same exact file names in the same place at the same time.
            3. In your PPro Project window, select (by single clicking on it) the new "park bench_1" that you added (this is the licensed one without the watermark).
            4. Next, Ctrl or right click on the image/video in your project sequence/timeline and select REPLACE WITH CLIP | FROM BIN.
              • Repeat this for every instance of the image in your timeline.
              • Verify the watermarks are gone for every instance in your sequence.
            5. Now you can delete the old original watermarked image/video from your PPro Project window and your CC Library Downloads folder on your Project hard drive.

I hope these steps help others that have found themselves in my same bind I was in.

• 3. Re: Adobe Stock watermarks not removed after licenseing images in the Library.
              Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for that in-depth reply, Mike!

Very easy to follow. I am sure it will help others. Thank you again!