12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 5:45 PM by Emilio Corsetti

Video freezes every few seconds

Emilio Corsetti

I just bought Premiere Elements 14. I purchased a Lynda.com subscription to get up to speed on the program. Spent several days learning the program. So now I'm ready to begin editing. I load three videos into the project assets. One is an hour long MP4 video that is 6 gigs. My system has 8 gigs of memory. When I open the 6 gig video in the trimmer, the video freezes after just a few seconds. I tried putting it on the timeline and it freezes after a few seconds. I tried cutting all but a minute or two of the video and it freezes. Next I reduced the screen resolution down to 1080. Still Freezes. I cut the long video out completely and tried editing a short three minute video. It freezes every few seconds.

So now I'm thinking there has to be a memory issue because of the long video. I exited out of the program. Did not save the project. Started a new project with the short three minute video. Opened in the trimmer window and started playing the video. It freezes after a few seconds. I am running Windows 10 64 bit with a  I7 3.4 ghz processor. What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi, this windows 10 is it an update from a previous version of Windows (7 or 8) or is it a clean install?

This 1 hour long mp4 what is its origin?

The three minute video is this mp4 also?

• 2. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
            Emilio Corsetti Level 1

This is a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed. It has 8 gigs of memory. I don't believe it has a separate graphics card memory.

The one hour video was shot on a $60,000 Red Dragon camera. The videographer edited down a three hour video using Adobe Premiere on the Mac and sent me his edited video in MP4 format so that I can edit in either Premiere Elements or Sony Movie Studio.

The three minute video was originally shot on a prosumer camcorder in native AVCHD. It was edited in Sony Movie Studio and uploaded to Vimeo. I lost the original AVCHD video in a hard drive crash. The video I am trying to edit was downloaded from Vimeo. I only need a few seconds of video and a little more of the audio.

Additional details:

When I add the 59 minute video to the project, only eight minutes shows up. I tried inputting all three videos into Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 and they all played without any issues. If I have to, I can edit in Sony Movie Studio. That program, however, has an issue with my screen resolution that requires a workaround where I have to reduce the screen resolution. I purchased Premiere Elements in hopes of being able to do the edit with this program. I am putting together a simple book trailer composed of 3d animation, still images, and interview video.

• 3. Re: Video freezes every few seconds

Just for testing, to find out it its the program or the footage:

Do you have some regular avchd footage to drop in the timeline.

• 4. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
                Emilio Corsetti Level 1

Part of the book trailer is a 3D animation. I had a sample Mpeg movie of the animation. I started a new project and loaded the mpeg movie first. Played with no problems. I then loaded the three minute MP4 video. It loaded and played with no problems. I then loaded the 59 minute MP4 video, It loaded and played with no problems. I did a few simple edits and everything seems to be working fine now.

The first time I tried this I imported the files from the organizer. Perhaps that was the issue.

• 5. Re: Video freezes every few seconds

Could be the organizer.

Just double click in the Project Assets window to import the footage.

• 6. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
                    Emilio Corsetti Level 1

Lesson learned. Thanks for your help.

Emilio

• 7. Re: Video freezes every few seconds

Happy editing.

• 8. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
                        Kamna Yadav Adobe Employee

Hey Emilio,

Just wanted to clarify a doubt. Is the issue solved after removing the organizer intervention? does double click work fine?

• 9. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
                          Emilio Corsetti Level 1

Everything works now.

• 10. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
                            Emilio Corsetti Level 1

After working on my book trailer for several days, I had to go off to my real job. When I got back, I loaded up my project to resume the edit. Right away the video started freezing every few seconds. WTF? I closed and restarted. Same damn thing. I can't get through five seconds of video before it freezes. What the heck is going on here? This is ridiculous. A video editing program that doesn't allow you to edit video! This is beyond frustrating. Absolutely nothing changed from the time I last saved the project when it was working to several days later when I resumed the project.

• 11. Re: Video freezes every few seconds

Can you the properties of the clips you are using in the project with Mediainfo in treeview.

• 12. Re: Video freezes every few seconds
                                Emilio Corsetti Level 1

Not sure if this is what you're asking for, but here is a screen shot. Note that the Scott Kennedy interview is actually 1:08 long and not 38 seconds. I have no idea why it doesn't show the correct length.

Scapegoat book trailer.JPG

Here is more info on the three source files.

Scott Video

Scotts video.JPG

Hoot Video

Hoots video.JPG

Animation

Animation.JPG

I realize that there is an issue with differing image sizes, frame rates, and audio formats. However, I was able to work with all three videos without any problems for several days. The project properties are 1920 * 1080; frame rate of 24; audio format 48 hz. The Hoot video with an image size of 640 by 360 I downloaded from Vimeo. I lost my original video in a hard drive crash. The original was 1920 * 1080. I only need about ten seconds of that video. As a test I just tried starting a new project with the Hoot video. I tried playing just that video in the clip trimmer and played without freezing. So I tried a new project with the Scott video. It played without freezing. When I was having the freezing problem and I tried this it froze on both videos. So now both videos play without freezing. So next I tried to load the book trailer project again and it played without freezing. The ten seconds of the Hoot video looks just fine scaled to 1920 by 1080. So I am obviously confused as to why it freezes sometimes and other times it works fine.