6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 8:36 AM by Metttesylvester

My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?

Metttesylvester

Hello

I hope you can help me out here. I've made this video: Zig - YouTube (H.264, 720p, Media Encoder high quality preset)

But as you can see the particles in the background lags a lot, even though the rest of the video is just fine. On mobile it's fine though, not sure why.

So a couple of questions to that:

1. Do you know what causes it?
      2. Do you know a workaround to fix it WITH the particles that I use now? I've tried different presets, but you're welcome to recommend another one.
      3. Do you recommend another way to make similar particles so that it works on YouTube?

Hope you can help me just a little bit. Would love to have some kind of particles to make it a little less flat to look at. Thanks.

Best regards,
      Mette

• 1. Re: My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are talking about the little things that kind of look like dust particles I do see them kind of jumping around instead of following smooth paths on a Windows 7 machine but they look just fine on a MacBookPro with a fiber connection to the internet. I even took the time to check out the video on my iPhone. It appears to be fine there.

Here's what I think is going on and here are my recommendations.

1. First, don't waste your time making comps that are not at least 1080P (1920 X 1080 square pixels)
          2. Unless you absolutely positively know exactly why you want to use a frame rate that is not the broadcast standard frame rate for the country in which you live (29.97 fps for most of the world, 25 for PAL countries) do not build 24 fps comps
          3. YouTube will re-compress anything that you send to them that does not precisely match their specifications and you have no control on that process
          4. Use the YouTube 1080P 29.97 (if it matches your preset) and make sure that highest quality and multiple pass rendering is checked. Make sure the data rate matches the YouTube recommendations

The what's probably going on part starts now. YouTube throttles the playback rate of your video and the compressed version they send out based on feedback they get from your machine. Temporal Compression artifacts for details like your little particles are likely to appear when lower bandwidth streams are fed to your computer screen. Also, if your computer screen refresh rate does not match or closely match the frame rate of the clip you can get some motion artifacts. Most displays in the US refresh at 60 hz so 29.97 works as perfectly as video can work. I think my MacBook Pro works just fine because it's got a bunch of pixels and a great connection. I think the Windows 7 machine shows the motion artifacts because it's running on a fairly slow wifi network and it has an older display. I think YouTube knows that so it is feeding a lower quality product to the screen.

As a test I downloaded the video from YouTube - ClipConverter.cc and played it back using the Windows Media Player and it worked fine. NO motion artifacts.

If you follow my recommendations and closely match the YouTube specs you'll have the best chance of avoiding the motion artifacts. As soon as I saw the small pale particles moving around I knew there would be potential mpeg motion artifacts with the piece. Learning how to design to avoid those problems is just as important as any production skill you'll ever have.

• 2. Re: My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?
            Metttesylvester Level 1

Hello Rick

Thanks a lot for taking your time to look into this issue for me. I appreciate it.

1. Thank you for that suggestion.
            2. I live en Denmark, which I'm pretty certain is PAL. The video is build with 25 fps, so that should be alright.
            3. That was what I could read many places. Also what my video production friend said.
            4. So I should consider making the video in 1080P with 25 fps and highest quality rendering. Thanks.

I think it makes a lot of sense what you say about YouTube throttling the playback for different computers/connections.

New questions:

• What I think we can conclude is, that even if I manage to have the particles working on my computer/screen/connection, there's no telling whether some other people might still see the lag, right? I don't think I'm willing to take that chance, as I'd like the most viewers (if not all) should be able to see the same quality across devices.
            • Do you know of a similar effect that could possibly work better than the particles I'm using (which are some .mov clips of 30 seconds)? Or would you recommend to leave it out completely, if I want to show the same vid to most people?

Again thanks for your time.

• 3. Re: My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Metttesylvester wrote:

I'd like the most viewers (if not all) should be able to see the same quality across devices.

You could use Vimeo instead of YouTube. The quality is often better.

• 4. Re: My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?
                Metttesylvester Level 1

Hi Szalam. That's a good point. But since I believe YouTube is better for music listening and discovering that platform suit me the most.

Thanks though.

• 5. Re: My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could test with changing the speed of the particles' movement and the size and opacity of the particles to find one that doesn't get damaged by the compression as much.

• 6. Re: My particles/Pixie dust overlay lag when uploaded to YouTube. Other effects are fine - can it be fixed?
                    Metttesylvester Level 1

Hmm. It's just that the particles are already different sizes, and most of them seems to lag. But maybe that changes if I edit the composition?

Thanks.