1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 1:39 PM by SJRiegel

import data by key

pinnum

I've looked at the documentation for the Merge function and read some of the forum questions, and they don't seem to address my question.

I have a spreadsheet with part numbers, descriptions, and prices. We want to create a parts list in InDesign that will contain this information and a graphic for each part. What I want to do is have a template for each part, with the part number already filled in. Then I would like to be able match the part number (the key) against the part number in the spreadsheet and pull in the description and price automatically.

I could probably export the spreadsheet as XML if necessary, or export it to an Access database if there is some mechanism for getting data by key in InDesign.

Thanks,

Allen

• 1. Re: import data by key
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm more sure I'm following what you are trying to do, but what you can do with data merge is add your image names (and paths, if they are not stored in the folder with the spreadsheet) to the spreadsheet, and create a merge that includes the images as well.