13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 4:29 PM by flanan

Issue with RAW files

mathewh21124987 Level 1

hi,

I've been using ps express on my iPad mini 4 for some time to edit RAW files taken on a Nikon d7100 without any issues.. I've just bought a Nikon 1 J5 which also takes RAW images, but ps express says it can't open this file type which is the same .NEF file type...

any ideas why I can't open the J5 .NEF files

thanks in advance

matt

• 1. Re: Issue with RAW files
          flanan

I have the same issue on iPad Air 2 but with Canon RAW files. Have uploaded latest 4.0.5 and get "Check network connection,there was an error downloading full size image".

is this truly a network connection error or perhaps related to memory on the iPad?

PLease provide guidance for this error message.

ANy help much appreciated.

Flanan

• 2. Re: Issue with RAW files
            DaveRobbo68

Same issue here. Using Photopshop Express (4.0.5) on iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.2.1) and I can no longer open .CR2 or .psd files from creative cloud!

Help needed ASAP!

• 3. Re: Issue with RAW files
              mathewh21124987 Level 1

This is the response I got from Nikon:

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your email,

I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue opening your NEF files.

Due to the improvements and advances in the imaging sensor technology the NEF format specification is different between each model of camera and as such new camera models would have different NEF file structure.

Any software you have installed may need to be updated in order to open the NEF files from newer camera models.

If you contact the maker of your software they can advised of any possible updates for their software to open the J5 NEF/RAW files in their software.

Nikon provide Adobe with the relevant information from new camera models NEF files to allow them to update their software for use with our NEF files.

Nikon do not have any updates available for third party software.

Nikon provide a free software with each of our cameras to open and edit our NEF files from our camera range and we provide updates for this software each time a new DSLR camera is released.

So it looks like it's an abobe update issue that doesn't include the RAW file type for the Nikon 1 J5 :-(

• 4. Re: Issue with RAW files
                kchopra Adobe Employee

Hi,

Nikon 1 J5  camera is currently not supported by Photoshop express.

Thanks,

Kusha

• 5. Re: Issue with RAW files
                  kchopra Adobe Employee

Hi,

Which camera model CR2 image you are trying to open ?

Thanks,

Kusha

• 6. Re: Issue with RAW files
                    kchopra Adobe Employee

Hi,

That issue may be because of network issue. Are you still facing the problem ?

Thanks,

Kusha

• 7. Re: Issue with RAW files
                      mathewh21124987 Level 1

Nikon have said that Abobe have the relevant information required for the software. Will future updates to the PS software include the J5??

Thanks in advance

Matt

• 8. Re: Issue with RAW files
                        DaveRobbo68 Level 1

Canon 600D.

No network issue, as I can open jpeg's from Creative cloud, just not RAW or PSD files.

• 9. Re: Issue with RAW files
                          kchopra Adobe Employee

Yes. We have it in our plans for future releases.

Thanks,

Kusha

• 10. Re: Issue with RAW files
                            kchopra Adobe Employee

The raw image is in your camera roll or you are trying to open it from Creative cloud ? Is it possible for you to send me that photo over email ?

Thanks,

Kusha

• 11. Re: Issue with RAW files
                              mathewh21124987 Level 1

Thanks Kusha,

I look forward to the update.

Many thanks

Matt

• 12. Re: Issue with RAW files
                                flanan Level 1

Kusha,

Yes, I'm still facing the issue.

I loaded my iPad Air 2 with RAW+JPEGs from two different cameras using either the Apple Lightning to USB cam adapter, or Lightning to SD Card cam reader.

I have RAW+JPEG images from Canon Powershot s90, and Canon 1DMark3. Both types are supported I believe.

I'm working from iPad using PS Express App accessing "On my iPad".  These files are also being shared via iCloud Photo Sharing.

As I write this, I'm checking several times the files to see if any open. Some do open, but only a few and the numbers are not increasing. I have 33.3 GB available on the iPad Storage. Seems as though at some point some were able to be fully accessed.

Working this way, is it still possible for it to be a network issue? I think I need to understand what happens when the photos get shared - they are moved to cloud requiring network? Even though they are all being shared, some of them open in PS Express while most do not.

I'm open to ideas for fixing. Thanks much -

• 13. Re: Issue with RAW files
                                  flanan Level 1

Kusha,

I looked more closely at your comments and noted you had asked DaveRobbo68 if Creative Cloud or camera roll had been used. 

So I took a better look at the folder in "My iPad" that I had opened the photos from and it was NOT the camera roll but instead from named shared folders. When I tried opening the files from the camera roll they all opened successfully.

I'M still obviously llearning but am I correct in understanding that

1) when selected from within PS Express, images taken with camera set to raw+jpeg the app will open the raw file, but

2) when opened from within Photos and with PS Express selected upon choosing Edit, app will open the jpeg file?