7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 3:03 AM by Ann Bens

Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac

trentp46083508

Elements does not recognize my camcorder.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

trentp

You have not given enough details for us to help you. Please consider.

What camcorder - are you referring to a camcorder for DV or HDV data capture firewire into a Premiere Elements Capture Windows or something else?

If it is the DV or HDV data capture firewire, there is no longer that feature in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14/14.1. The last version of Premiere Elements to have that feature is 12/12. If this situation applies to you. do you still have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 or earlier to do these capture firewire?

Adobe wrote about this situation and suggested the following

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

If this applies to you, have you used iMovie for your captures. Once you have the captures, you can import them into the project with the project's Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

Please consider, and give details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
            trentp46083508 Level 1

Sorry for such a short post.  In addition to the recognition problem I have attaching a Sony Digital8 Camcorder, I tried attaching a very new Nikon P610 camera to my Mac via usb3 and neither Premier Elements 14 or it's Organizer recognized the camera.  Next, I inserted the SD card into the multi slot of the Mac then PE14 immediately recognized the card. 

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
              trentp46083508 Level 1

Hope my reply is helpful

• 4. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
                A.T. Romano Level 7

trentp

I am strictly an Elements Windows users, nonetheless I would ask

1. Is the Nikon up to date with its fireware? Are there any utilities that would provide drivers for the USB transfer from camera to computer?

Can you transfer the recordings from the camera to computer via USB - taking Premiere Elements out of the equation? Checked USB cable and computer USB port?

2. Can you import your Nikon video into the project using the SD card slot and your card and can you edit them without issue in the Premiere Elements project?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
                  trentp46083508 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my query. 

1. Everything is up to date and only PE 14 fails to recognize the camera.  All other software editing programs readily access the camera without a problem via USB connection to the camera. Once files are imported via a card reader they are fully manageable using PS or PE. 

2.  Probably answered this in one above.

I am also able to connect all cameras and camcorders using PEPro (currently on a trial basis) and import all media.  Probably won't buy the $20 per month charge for PEPRo so will just let the trial expire in 30 days.

I am using a Mac Mini because it is easy to attach my firewire devices via the Thunderbolt port and a cheap adapter to 1394 cable.

I can acquire a nice refurbished HP Laptop for about $250 that has the 1394 connection built in and then can easily do downloads to be edited by PE.

Thank you for being patient and taking valuable time to consider my issues.

Best regards,

Trentp

• 6. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Trentp

Thanks for the follow ups.

Have an idea - either good or major dud.

Are you recording 1080p60 with your Nikon P610? If yes, before you make the USB connection between your camera and computer, open Premiere Elements 14/14.1 to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to 1080p60. If NTSC setup

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

The manual setting of the project preset is done according to the following scheme...

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                    • In Change Settings, set the project preset as mentioned above. OK out of there.
                    • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                    • Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer. Attach your camera to the computer via USB and the look for it in the Source field of the Video Importer.

This assumes no problems with the USB ports or cable and settings on the camera for the USB transfer.

For general information on adding media Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Adding media into Adobe Premiere Elements

Please consider, and let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe Premier elements 14 Mac
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

trentp46083508 wrote:

I inserted the SD card into the multi slot of the Mac then PE14 immediately recognized the card. 

That is the best way to go with dslr camera's.

Import the files to the hard drive.

Then import the files into Elements (double click in the Project Asset window)

As for your Digital 8 camera you need firewire.

Do you have Imovie on your mac?