12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 8:15 AM by VMS studio

what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now

Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now:

http://adobe.ly/1JFQUCE

• 1. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
          StephaneA_AfterEffects Level 1

Are you crazy ?

I quote your release note:

"Notable bug fixes"

"Audio is no longer silent for the first 2 seconds of previews after the composition has been fully cached, if the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time preference is enabled."

No way ! On Mac OS X Yosemite the bug is still there !!! It seems even worth because the audio plays erratically now and you have to wait several playbacks to get proper audio.

I don't understand what the f**k you are doing !!? The more amazing is that update after update you keed saying that this bug is fixed. Why ? Don't you test any of your software ? The bug is rather simple to check: (using the old fashion RAM preview options) just drag a footage in the timeline hit numpad "0" and boom, no proper audio.

This a bug and not e problem with my system because with After Effects CC 2014 (13.2) witch I keep using (because of this bug) there is none what so ever such audio problem.

• 2. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now

Hello Stephane,

There are actually two separate bugs with similar behavior, one fixed, one not. The difference is whether or not the preview is playing back in real-time, when the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time preference is enabled.

The fixed bug was a problem where, when the preview frame rate is real-time, audio did not play for the first 2 seconds.

The remaining, not-yet-fixed bug is a problem some users are experiencing where, after the composition is cached, there is a delay of approximately 2-3 seconds in which the preview frame rate is less than real-time. Because the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time preference is enabled, audio doesn't play during this delay. (You can of course turn off the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time preference to avoid this bug.)

To clarify further: the first, fixed bug was a fault in the audio playback code, and the second bug is a side effect of a fault of After Effects not previewing a cached composition in real-time.

I can understand how the phrasing of the described bug fix did not make that clear, so I have updated the blog post to be very explicit about what was fixed, and the remaining bug that appears similar:

• Audio is no longer silent for the first 2 seconds of real-time playback of previews after the composition has been fully cached, if the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time preference is enabled. Important: This fixed bug addresses a specific problem in which audio did not engage when the playback frame rate is real-time; we are continuing to investigate a similar bug some users are experiencing where the preview of a cached composition starts out slower than real-time, and ramps up to real-time after a similar delay (~2-3 seconds). In this case, if Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time is enabled, you will not hear audio during until the preview frame rate is real-time; you can work around this bug by disabling Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-time.

My apologies for the confusion. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To address the remaining bugs with audio and video playback in After Effects CC 2015, we (the After Effects team) are currently working on a significant change to how After Effects sends frames to screen and audio to speakers, which we intend to release in an update later this year. Thanks for your patience while we work on these issues.

• 3. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the reply.

The problem is not the confusion between to bugs. Ok may be it is an other bug. It doesn't matter. The real problem is why the team releases new AE versions with such huge bugs ?

We are not talking about some minor function here but the RAM preview, witch is the core function of AE. This is the third version of AE since the RAM preview code has been changed and major bugs are still here. This really problematic.

Especially as this bug don't seems so much complicated to fix, It is a problem with the display of the Timeline panel because there is no audio problem when you use the full screen preview mode. The moment the timeline panel is displayed the audio bug occurs.

Adobe shouldn't release a professional software like AE until this kind of bugs are fixed. The RAM preview is totally unusefull as it is.

Professional people need serious, reliable, stable tools this more important that any new fancy toys.

I'll stay with CC 2014 for the moment.

• 4. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
                Ra Senche

Pretty much yes..
                this is the exact stuff behind me changing Graphics cards from AMD to GeForce... (for a view years AMD released driver builds with BSOD bugs in them).

i only just Downloaded After Effects CC for a 30 day trail.. been trying to make a video for a view days now but now that my project is longer then 2 min even if i just try an preview what i done so far it crashes.
                if at the end of the trail i still run into these kinds of bugs im not gone bother subscribing for it.
                Downloaded 13.7 update end of last night and it seems to have fixed the most annoying onc. tho i havnt used it much today yet.

• 5. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
                  VMS studio Level 1

It hasn't fixed a thing for me yet, 13.7 audio preview still is flaky as hell. Guys we need this fixed!

• 6. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
                    ViewMaster.79 Level 1

Every single one of these new features is useless if we can't preview in real time in CC2015.

• 8. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
                      VMS studio Level 1

tthe thing is, CC1014 worked like a charm with el capita. So if metal is causing anything, they already have had a working instance. At the very last resort, they could reverse engineer the audio engine there. Or just slap that on Cc2015, if it's not working it's worse than the old version

• 9. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now

Yes I agree with VMS, CC 2014 is working very well on all OS so no bulls***t "Metal" or "El Capitan" etc. excuse here.

If Adobe want to change core things like the RAM preview why don't they do a beta program before like every body else ? They can't just release professional software with such huge bugs.

• 10. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
                          Ninok

Hi Tim,

I recently upgraded to CC 2015 current v (13.7.0.124) - Aside from the mentioned bugs above, I am also experiencing general playback audio stutter (brief, but every few seconds) when playing back cached frames, regardless of the state of the "mute audio when review is not real time". I have tried both with and without that option enabled. The stutter is not in the same positions every time nor specific / concentrated to the first 2-3 seconds of hitting play as you note above for the other bugs.  I can have a whole 1 min composition cached and the stutter will occur at random intervals a few seconds apart almost every play through.  I have to preview an area multiple times to get a 'stutter free' pass so that I can make sure things are lined up. Needless to say, timing up cuts to music is a bit of a nightmare from my previous version (was actually still on CC 12.xx).

Furthermore, I also experience this exact stutter when I lay down markers via the asterisk key "*" when just previewing audio via the num pad period key "." (not using Preview, just playing back audio only).  Even though this was listed as fixed in 13.5 as per the note below in the known issues thread.

"Two causes of this problem have been fixed in the After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update: placing markers or moving the mouse cursor over the previewing Composition, Layer, or Footage panel no longer cause the preview frame rate to slow down."

AE 13.7.0.124

Win 7

64GB Ram

i7 4930k

• 11. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now

Hi Ninok,

When the audio stutters occur, does the playback frame rate dip below the real-time frame rate of the comp? Keep your eye on the Info panel. Even with the Mute Audio When Preview Is Not Real-Time option enabled, if the dip is momentary, the result will be the same.

Possibly related to this: we are aware of a class of bugs where interacting with the UI in After Effects CC 2015 can cause the playback frame rate to dip momentarily. These bugs aren't 100% consistent because they're very timing dependent; certain actions like opening a menu or rolling over hot text can introduce the hiccup if they hit the refresh cycle in the right way. Again, keep your eye on the Info panel.

Regarding placing audio markers, we did fix this bug in After Effects 13.5.1, but I have seen and observed similar audio stuttering in After Effects 13.6 and 13.7. It's probable that another fix implemented in those updates upset the previous fix. But I will say that the bug behavior in After Effects 13.5, that was fixed in 13.5.1, was much worse than what I'm currently observing in After Effects 13.7.

The After Effects team is currently working on changes to how After Effects plays back both audio and video. Most of the problems with playback frame rate and audio stuttering are relating to timing issues with how the screen is drawn or how audio is played during previews. We're already in progress on a more robust solution for playback, for the next update for After Effects. Thanks for your patience while we work on this.

• 12. Re: what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7), available now
                              VMS studio Level 1

Hi Tim,

To answer the question. I've seen mixed results. Sometimes I can get a clear audio going without issues, but more often, I see the dips that you have described.

For instance:
                              If I hit the spacebar for a 'realtime preview' on quality of the preview set to full, I get around 21-24 frames per second (in a 29fps comp) and that stutters the audio. However, I know my machine is capable of delivering the previews in real time and that the dips are not processing based because if I tell the preview to skip every other frame which would in most cases yield double the performance (on older version of AE at least) and I'd at least be able to get a real time preview I still get dips. This time instead of ~14fps  I get something like 13.209 and the audio stutters. Furthermore, in the same comp, if I skip the video preview all together and just hit the audio preview key, it still stutters. Even further if I hit the ram preview key and set it up to 'cache before playback' it still will have some dipping on playback fps and audio stutters. I believe  this is a preview engine issue not the rendering of the frames as those should play from the ram already.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Vigen V. A.