4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2016 11:10 AM by M.D. Jakob

Mousetracker not working on a Illustrator Comic Character file need help??

M.D. Jakob

Hello Guys,

Hello there,

Hi my name is J. Darren and I have created a comic figure from scratch to finish and putted my figure into Character Animator, but there are some

things that are not working as they should, perhaps I do something wrong. But okay step by step.

System I am using:

Okay I am using the newest version of Creative Cloud Apps, (Illustrator CC 2015 2.1 Release (19.2.19 and of course After Effects 13.6.1.6 with

Character Animator Preview 3 (x124) and Photoshop CC 2015 (1.2 Release).

And I am on a Macbook Pro Retina 15" with 16 GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) Main System. Other System is iMac 2011 21,5inc with 12 GB RAM and 512 GB HDD. I am using the iMac only for rendering now.

The Mac is using OS X YOSEMITE 10.10.5 (14F1509) with the newest updates.

Iam not planing to change the Mac OS X to El Captain, because on my iMac there are some issues and I wanted to avoid that on the Macbook.

I need some advise and some help with my comic figure.

I have first sketched some characters on my iPad and ported them to Photoshop. After that I ported them to illustrator and make an illustrator file of them.

Sketch for Adobe.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-27 at 17.13.28.png

Everything okay. As you can see the port was okay. I am happy with the result for now. I am planing to add some other figures, but there are some bugs or something is missing and I wanted to get the first figure done to move forward.

I have started to porting the character to Character Animator and I have named all layers in Illustrator like the template itself.

Okay that was a challenge to get the figure working and  talking but I got it.

Layers.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 01.59.48.png

I named the trackers "Mousetrack right" and "Mousetrack left" and putted them into the left Arm and into the Right Arm section of the illustrator file.

But the tracker is not working in Character Animator??

First I thought. Okay I put this into another part of the body section and this should work, but nothing happens.

I saved the file again and make another copy but hmm... nothing happens. Tried to put this into any part of the section of the character and nothing happens.

I do not get to move his hands.

Second I thought it was a failure with the Mousetrack, so I change the name to "Draggable right" and "Draggable left", as you can see in the screenshot above,

but nothing happens at all.

The trackers are not working probably, or I missed something right.

I got my figure talking and he is moving his head and everything is okay, I can change his hair and put the keyboard triggers working all right, but when I want to track and move the hands then this is not working.

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 02.06.14.png

The Mesh of the figure is set to contour because it should get the right mesh to move his hands in every direction.

Perhaps I did something wrong and that's why this is not working. I wanted to put my figure for my tutorials and that's why I need him as a Illustrator file because he should be scaleable.

But until now I am stuck in the place here and not going forward. I am helpless for now. I can get him moving around the old way in After Effects and moving him around, but it would be easier to get this working in Character Animator.

I have named the layers as supposed to, but I cannot drag the hands of my figure. I do not know what to do next.

What did I wrong?

Please help me. I hope that this is not a Illustrator or Character Animator bug.

Regards

Darren

P.S.: Sorry for my english, but I am from Germany.

• 1. Re: Mousetracker not working on a Illustrator Comic Character file need help??
          pjgfi2 Level 1

Hello Darren,

I went through the same kind of problem and I honestly can't remember how I got things fixed but here are my layers just in case :

characterAnimator.png

I had to use "subPuppets" arms because they looked too rubbery otherwise.

BTW, do you have "Dragger" and "Mouse & Touch input" selected ?

• 2. Re: Mousetracker not working on a Illustrator Comic Character file need help??
            oksamurai Employee Moderator

First off - this character looks awesome! Very cool work, can't wait to see him in action - please share when you do!

We are starting to recommend that users add these handles in Character Animator instead of inside Photoshop or Illustrator files - the pen tool / dot solution we've used in the past is a little tricky, and those apps aren't the best at rigging!

So I would remove any draggable handles from the Illustrator files and try in CH instead. I don't know if you've watched some tutorials, but:

When I run into issues like this, I try putting the handles in different layers or groups to see if it helps. So for example, right now it looks like the draggable handles are inside the arm groups - try the parent Body group instead, or even the top-level Darren puppet.

Hope that helps. If that doesn't work, can you please send me the file and I'll take a closer look?

• 3. Re: Mousetracker not working on a Illustrator Comic Character file need help??
              M.D. Jakob Level 1

Hello, pjgifi2,

Thank you for the idea with the sub puppets I will put them into the character.

Yes of course there was "Dragger" and "Mouse & Touch input" selected into the Character Animator.

I will see some tutorials again to get this done again.

This is very weird why this is not working, because when I copy the dragger from the Bunny puppet that have been delivered with the Preview 2 than this is working. Very weird.

• 4. Re: Mousetracker not working on a Illustrator Comic Character file need help??
                M.D. Jakob Level 1

Hello oksamurai,

Thanks I have been working over a months on that puppet. The first version of the puppet has no hands, but this one has.

And yes of course I will post this work and this puppet with other puppets on a real movie I am making, so it is in the works, and I will publishing this on behance, twitter, Facebook and youtube of course.

But thats future, for now I will try to get this puppet work the way you supposed me.

I will check the tutorials again and look at this why this is not working.

As I mentions again when I copy the draggers from the "Bunny" puppet that was part of the Character Animator preview 2 than the draggers are working.

Perhaps there I miss something with the points and thats why this is not working.

This is not the only puppet I am making. So thank you for your time and your help. I will appreciate that and look today and tomorrow if the puppet will work the way you supposed me to do.

Thank you.