4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 6:29 PM by Mohit Goyal

Lightroom CC freezes when using second monitor

geebee2001

I am using Lightroom CC on a 6 core 2010 Mac Pro with 24gb RAM, and the app running on an SSD drive with OS10.9.5.

Until the other day I have been using Lightroom 5.7.

I have two NEC 24" monitors connected to my computer.

I've paid about $1000 for each and I have been happy with their color rendition and performance.

In the last couple of weeks, I have had numerous times when Lightroom stops functioning.

Usually after using the Edit in Photoshop command, or creating a web gallery, once the command has been issued, LR will go to one screen and freeze, at that point most of the controls do not function. I then have to select quit from the menu and re-open the application. Needless to say this is a lousy way to work.

Tonight I discovered that if I run Lightroom on one monitor, the freezing that happens after making a web gallery, or using Edit in Photoshop, doesn't happen. However, if I start with one monitor, then use Edit in Photoshop, then click to use my second monitor, the freeze occurs then.

Having 2 monitors is very helpful, so having to limit myself to 1 monitor is quite a disappointment, not to mention a waste of an investment.

I have been using Lightroom 5 for a long time on this system without these problems.

I installed Lightroom CC as a way to solve my problem.

But the very same problem exists with it.

I have been thinking of updating the OS to 10.11, but I have been waiting to do so.

I read of people having trouble with OS 10.11 (El Capitan), and I will need to upgrade backup software if I upgrade to 10.11.

It strikes me that there may be some type of bug or issue with Lightroom and the Mac OS when it comes to using 2 monitors.

Has anyone else experienced this freezing or locking up of Lightroom?

Has anyone else had the freezes related to using two monitors?

Can anyone suggest a fix?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC freezes when using second monitor
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi geebee,

You would require to update the Graphics driver on your machine and that could be an issue at this moment. If you update the Mac OS to the latest version, it will also update the Graphics Driver if there's pending one.

As you mention in your post, you have also installed Lightroom CC, does it doing the same which is happening with Lightroom 5.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC freezes when using second monitor
            geebee2001 Level 1

I have the same problems with both Lightroom CC and Lightroom 5.7.

I may need to update to the latest Mac OS.

One thing that is holding me back is that I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make automatic nightly backups of the 3 computers in my studio to a server in a different building. My current server cannot be updated to the latest OS. If I want to keep my backup system working I need to update to a new server and a newer version of Carbon Copy Cloner. Updating this system is not a small task, but I will be doing it soon.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC freezes when using second monitor
              geebee2001 Level 1

A Mac savvy friend suggested that I create a new user account to see if the problem of freezing with the second monitor would also happen with a new user account.

I created a new user account, and Lightroom works fine.

I then needed to migrate all of the settings for various programs to the new user.

I also decided to upgrade the OS from Mavericks 10.9 to El Captian, 10.11.

I have also changed from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom CC 2015.

All of these computer tasks took much time, but now everything is working well.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC freezes when using second monitor
                Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Great, thanks for sharing the solution.

Regards,

Mohit