5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 9:00 PM by Joel Cherney

Indesign and Visayan languages

left bank books Level 1

I'm plugging a text written in the Visayan language Cebuano into a document, but that language isn't one of my choices for languages. Does anyone know if I need to worry about formatting at all with this language?

• 1. Re: Indesign and Visayan languages
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only thing I can think of to worry about is to ensure that you avoid incorrect hyphenation. I'd mark all the text as "[No Language]". Once my text was laid out, to a first approxiation, I'd search for hyphens and replace them with non-breaking hyphens. I can't say that is necessary, but I feel "better safe than sorry" with languages I can't read and the possibility of incorrect hyphenation.

• 2. Re: Indesign and Visayan languages
            left bank books Level 1

Do you mean do this search for hyphens in the word processor, or actually in InDesign?

• 3. Re: Indesign and Visayan languages

Your choice, really. I prefer doing all such find/change queries with GREP in InDesign. I have seen problems placing docs from Word using non-breaking hyphens, but not totally consistently.

But this (preventing breaks in words that contain valid hyphens) is purely stylistic. You should be fine so long as hyphenation is off and the text is not incorrectly marked as English, or any other Latin-script language for which ID has a hyphenation dictionary.

• 4. Re: Indesign and Visayan languages
                left bank books Level 1

Now that I'm understanding what you're talking about, it seems that maybe I should do it in Word, since I can't "place" the document, I have to paste sections of text one at a time? Otherwise a bunch of new hyphens would be created that wouldn't necessarily be appropriate?

• 5. Re: Indesign and Visayan languages

Um. Depends on how you are working, I guess. If you are pasting raw Cebuano text into an English ID document, then the pasted text will take on the language and hyphenation settings of the language in the ID document.  If you are pasting formatted text from Word to ID, then you should turn hyphenation off in Word and it should carry over.

You can do the find/change for hyphens in InDesign after the fact, either way.