6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 4:22 AM by Willi Adelberger

VERY BIG PROBLEM

burakozgun

When a design made in the 2015 version of Indesign, CC is saved as .idml, it cancels the preview of missing images. That is to say, when a design made in Indesign, CC is opened in the older version programs, related image’s preview is not formed if the images are missing. That is to say, a different and remote designer who uses older version cannot see which image is missing. The situation that should be is as follows: When the document is saved as .idml, the preview should be seen even if the images are missing. The designer should see which images are missing.

• 1. Re: VERY BIG PROBLEM
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

The names of the links will be available in the Links panel which would be a more accurate determination. It would also show the last path location.

• 2. Re: VERY BIG PROBLEM
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Totally normal and expected behavior.

The previews have to be rebuilt when the IDML file is opened.

• 3. Re: VERY BIG PROBLEM
              burakozgun Level 1

I think I couldn’t explain. How would it be normal that previews in Indesign cc document whose links are missing are not supported in .idml format? In the CC document whose links are missing, the previews are seen. But, when the same document is saved as .idml, the previews cannot be displayed. This is not normal at all. It is a big problem. As a matter of fact, a document that has links is saved as .idml and then opened in another computer without its “links” file, no preview is given. In the past, the situation was not like this. Even if there was no links and the links also were deleted from the computer, preview was seen. Now, it is not seen. I think I made myself clear.

• 4. Re: VERY BIG PROBLEM
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

IDML is not meant as an editing format, and it does not contain any information not required to rebuild the document structure. For images, the link path information is required, but not the previews (and lack of previews is one reason the IDML file size is more compact), because InDesign will rebuild the previews automatically if the links are accessible as they must be for file output.

The problem here is that your workflow is not providing access to the linked images, not that IDML removes the previews. You need to re-evaluate your workflow to determine if your collaborators really need access to the images or if you should be working in the earlier version of InDesign to match your colleagues (which would be preferred in most cases -- collaboration using different versions is usually fraught with problems like text reflow).

• 5. Re: VERY BIG PROBLEM
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

IDML is a format for emergencies. If you are designing a workflow that makes common use of it, this is a Very Bad Thing.

• 6. Re: VERY BIG PROBLEM
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

IDML is not supposed to have any workflow between different versions. It is a very dangerous attempt as it will cause changes due to different functionality. Either work with the same version as your coworker or make a CC subscription as a requirement for cooperation.

Images have always been lost in an IDML or INX workflow.